Apr 09, 2019, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
No, but I am calling you the worst quoter of the day. You've got it so messed up that no one knows what anyone else is talking about.
You should see post #127! That guy...sheesh.

Apr 09, 2019, 06:30 PM
Honourary Canadian and Frisian
Quote:
Originally Posted by propflux01
Is it just my end here or what? I didn’t state this quote...
You did the same thing to me...
Apr 09, 2019, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E
You should see post #127! That guy...sheesh.

Yeppppp. Couple bricks shy of a full load.
Apr 09, 2019, 06:39 PM
Actually, I think it's something to do with RCG acting absolutely nuts today. Quotes are getting messed up in other threads too.
Apr 09, 2019, 08:45 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Actually, I think it's something to do with RCG acting absolutely nuts today. Quotes are getting messed up in other threads too.
Well, if that's the issue, I'll take back the eye-roll post!
Apr 10, 2019, 01:07 AM
Eye of The Storm
I hope to have my Warrior out in the next couple of days weather permitting. The R1 will have to wait.
Apr 10, 2019, 04:47 AM
My riding resume just got padded out after a trip to the other side of the country to visit my brother.

I spent a day and a half swapping between his 107 Ultra, and a 2019 FXDR 114 his local dealership lent us. Honestly I couldn't fault either bike and wouldn't mind both in the shed as they serve two different riding experiences. If I had to nitpick, it would be the V-twin engine is a little less flexible across the RPM range than the 6 cylinder in the 'Wing, but when sitting in the twin's rpm sweet spot they're smooth as butter..

I did prefer the throttle response and response of the cable clutch in the FXDR 114 compared to the throttle and hydraulic clutch in the ultra 107, but they are designed for two different riding experiences.
Apr 10, 2019, 05:29 AM
Suspended Account
That was my first impression of riding a Harley, that the engine liked to be at one fairly small part of the RPM range. Twins are know for not liking low RPM and shuddering under load when accelerating, the way Harley’s are valved and timed they don’t like high RPm either.

Explained why Harleys are ridden in the way they are when you hear them go by. I was surprised a big low compression twin with mild tuning wouldn’t be more flexible.
Apr 10, 2019, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propflux01
Well, if that's the issue, I'll take back the eye-roll post!
I think we should both take the high road and apologize to the other and say something nice about them and wish we could be more like them.

You first.
Apr 10, 2019, 07:53 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Mine runs smooth..I love it...it shakes a whole bunch at idle but that's the nature of the v-twin. As soon as you give it throttle input she smooths right out like butter...if v-twin ran like a dang car engine nobody would buy them but old men...
Apr 10, 2019, 07:55 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
I think we should both take the high road and apologize to the other and say something nice about them and wish we could be more like them.

You first.
I think you should talk about something interesting like motorcycles or boats and stop cluttering up my bs thread with off topic bs posts...
Apr 10, 2019, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort69
I think you should talk about something interesting like motorcycles or boats and stop cluttering up my bs thread with off topic bs posts...
On my grampa's Street Glide, he has a real neat compartment on the fairing just to the right of the tank that's a dead perfect fit for his box of Depends. If a young person were to ever buy a Harley, could that compartment be used for something else, or is it strictly a Harley tradition?
Apr 10, 2019, 08:17 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
On my grampa's Street Glide, he has a real neat compartment on the fairing just to the right of the tank that's a dead perfect fit for his box of Depends. If a young person were to ever buy a Harley, could that compartment be used for something else, or is it strictly a Harley tradition?
Just because you're still a rookie and went behind the ears doesn't make me an old man....and San Jacinto HD was overflowing with young MEN buying Harley's last Saturday...you should get out of this basement more often..its good for perception...good for learning how to tune a motor as well...
Apr 10, 2019, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort69
Mine runs smooth..I love it...it shakes a whole bunch at idle but that's the nature of the v-twin. As soon as you give it throttle input she smooths right out like butter...if v-twin ran like a dang car engine nobody would buy them but old men...
Not talking about vibration. I'm talking about low rom, high load running. It's a function of the space between power pulses in the firing order. All V-twins experience this, as do crossplane engines.
Apr 10, 2019, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
That was my first impression of riding a Harley, that the engine liked to be at one fairly small part of the RPM range. Twins are know for not liking low RPM and shuddering under load when accelerating, the way Harley’s are valved and timed they don’t like high RPm either.

Explained why Harleys are ridden in the way they are when you hear them go by. I was surprised a big low compression twin with mild tuning wouldn’t be more flexible.
The gearboxes must have wide ratios to account for that, as about 2000-2500rpm was the sweet spot on the ultra 107 and it was a bit of work to keep it there with the variety of speed zones we have in close proximity. (31mph, 37mph, 50mph, 62mph, 68mph). Quite a bit of 3-4-5-6 shifting, not including intersections, roundabouts and such. The GL1500 can be slot in 5th (top gear) from about 31mph and left there but is geared for just under 3000 rpm at 62mph whereas the Ultra 107 is geared for about 2000rpm at the same speed.

I did get caught a couple of times early on being too high a gear at an intersection and the engine wasn't happy to chug out of my mistake at all, but I wouldn't call it a fault of the bike.
Last edited by bjr_93tz; Apr 10, 2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply