Mar 25, 2019, 06:43 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Discussion

Herelink FPV System Range Test & Demo.

Over the last 2 months I have been testing and playing with the new Herelink system from ProfiCNC thank to the guys over a www.3dxr.co.uk who have been able to get me one to take a look at.

Over the last few weeks I wanted to look a range and how this system would perform, Herelink is stated to have a range of 20km and I wanted to put this to the test, as laws prevent me from flying this in the UK I came up with a number of tests over some coast line to see what the system was capable of doing.

The plan was to set the Air unit up on a cliff mounted to a tripod and a camera, I also mounted a full cube system to it as well to be able to get full telemetry and test the FC control over the distance as well.

For the first test I found an area with a clear 10km 6m stretch up the coast line, I placed the Air end on the cliff about 25-30m above seal level and the plan was to stop a verbose points up the coast as I traveled along.

I got setup and headed off and one of the first things that surprised me was after placing the Air end on a cliff and walking back to the car I was still getting full signal in the car pack, this was only 191m away however is was much lower ground being 1-2 m above sea level and behind a hill and houses, no LOS at all but was still getting full signal and live video, it was a good start.

I set off and stopped at the first location about 1.2km up the coast and all was working as expected so continued to drive on.

After a few stops I got to the very end on the clear run and stopped at the beach 9.38km up the coast, I was still getting full HD video and telemetry no issues at all, Herelink was able to transmit no problem at this range with zero issues.

VERY Windy so almost inaudible be warned
Here 1 (0 min 34 sec)

From this I realised I needed a larger area to test this and went back to the drawing board, for the next test I found an area that was giving close to 16km clear LOS over water.

Again the Air end was setup on a high cliff top on the tripod about 40m above seal level, then the ground station taken back to the same beach on the other side to test.

While not expecting it to work I was proved very wrong and we were still getting full HD video and telemetry over that 15.75km (9.7 Miles) across the bay, signal was still showing very strong and the link was absolutely solid.

Here 2 (0 min 35 sec)

Overall while these tests are far from conclusive they do remonstrant just what Herelink is capable of, I tested this with out the box settings in a CE location and it was able to work over that massive range with out issue.

As this is a beta unit i’m not going to give my final thoughts on Herelink yet as there are some issues I know will be resolved in the release firmware very soon, if all of these things are done then I can say this is going to be a VERY interesting option for quad users and fixed wing with pixhawwk systems.

Below is my full video on these tests as well as my main blog thread on this system

Herelink Digital FPV System Range Test's - 16km Possible ? (8 min 42 sec)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-From-ProfiCNC
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 09:25 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Missed this thread, but caught it when you posted on your Channel....Pretty darn good piece of kit ehh? So what was it you bribed the wife with to drive over to those spots and help out???
Apr 03, 2019, 05:42 PM
One thing that confuses me with the herelink range is does the controller directional antenna and the drone antennas have to be directly facing each other? what happens if the drone rotates so the air antennas are then pointing 90 degrees away from the controller? This is when I have the signal loss at about 2km. (the drone antennas arent ideally located yet, they are strapped to the legs which are at a 30 degree angle, more than the recommended 15 degrees)
Apr 05, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie618
One thing that confuses me with the herelink range is does the controller directional antenna and the drone antennas have to be directly facing each other? what happens if the drone rotates so the air antennas are then pointing 90 degrees away from the controller? This is when I have the signal loss at about 2km. (the drone antennas arent ideally located yet, they are strapped to the legs which are at a 30 degree angle, more than the recommended 15 degrees)

Craft side are omnidirectional so it won’t be an issue.
Apr 17, 2019, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
I’m going to post this here as well a minute as it’s also relevant.

Anyone with a Cube (Pixhawk 2.1) purchased in 2019 take note there is a possible safety issue that’s due to a possible issue with the sensors not working as they should be.

You need to check in Mission planner that all the Gyros and IMU are being detested as per the below.

For the latest safety bulletin information and updates see see https://discuss.cubepilot.org/t/sb-0...-present/406/5

If your vehicle is fitted with a CUBE BLACK with the the following symptoms, DO NOT FLY. Wait for further instructions.

Your Cube is fitted with Three Gyros, Three Accelerometers, two Barometers, two internal Compasses.
If any of these sensors are missing at startup, you must not fly the vehicle.

to tell what is fitted…

Open mission planner and connect to your cube.
go to the full parameter list

Look for the following parameters and check that they match the examples
INS_ACC_ID = 1442082
INS_ACC2_ID = 1114914
INS_ACC3_ID = 1442826

INS_GYR_ID = 2359586
INS_GYR2_ID = 2229282
INS_GYR3_ID = 2360330

If these do not match, ground your vehicle immediately.

Please keep an eye on this notice for further instructions. There will be an update to mission planner, and to Ardupilot coming to assist in determining if your Cube is affected by this fault.

We are sorry about this situation, and will endeavour to follow up with solutions as soon as possible
Thank you

NEW MISSION PLANNER BETA RELEASED TODAY! PLEASE UPDATE MISSION PLANNER TO ADD AUTO DETECTION OF THIS ISSUE . please let us know if you get the following error…

“Your board has a Critical service bulletin please see [link;https://discuss.cubepilot.org/t/sb-0...-present;Click 16 here]”
May 28, 2019, 02:47 PM
when and where can I get one?
May 28, 2019, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renn
when and where can I get one?
They came out with this new thing called Google, give it a try : https://www.getfpv.com/herelink-2-4g...on-system.html
May 28, 2019, 08:53 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
They came out with this new thing called Google
the single most useful tool on any RC'ers work bench!
May 28, 2019, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
the single most useful tool on any RC'ers work bench!
That and a bottle of CA and a can of "Kicker"
May 28, 2019, 10:52 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
That and a bottle of CA and a can of "Kicker"
lol. but thats 2 things.

- my CA has been glued shut for over a year...
May 28, 2019, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
lol. but thats 2 things.

- my CA has been glued shut for over a year...
Is the glue still liquid inside? IF so and you got a bench vise (Just easier) to hold bottle, put it in vice, just snug. go above the thread part on the top cap and grab it with pliers or vice grips and get that sucker open...Got a Wife/Girlfriend?...borrow her Fingernail polish remover and clean up the outside of the bottle and threads (Don't get any inside the glue) if hole is sealed to bottle?.... use a needle a few times and punch that sucker open a few times...replace the cap....Project over
May 29, 2019, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
Beta 2 hardware should be shipping any day to dealers, find your nearest official Profi dealer from the website ProfiCNC.com and see what stock they may have free once they get them.
Jun 05, 2019, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Just an update 3DXR in the UK now has some more stock of the Herelink units from Beta 2.

https://www.3dxr.co.uk/product/herel...ission-system/

This is basically final hardware but nothing is set in stone.
Jul 01, 2019, 08:34 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Is there a HDMI/miniHDMI port on the controller, so one can attach FPV goggles to it?

I can't FPV watching a monitor for 8miles. I love using goggles for FPV
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 03, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the time posting your results, I am very very interested in one of the here links, everything I have seen and touched that Hex - Proficency have done is very good equipment! I am following this ....Thanks again

Quick Reply