This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 25, 2019, 08:59 AM
Flying every chance I get!
Thread OP
Discussion

My Son Flying the RA Cores Extra

I admit I tried to get my son into flying way too young. Like when he was 8ish. He was not enjoying flying the high wings or biplanes. He always seemed so concerned about crashing and the cost of a crash despite him recording me crash planes on a few occasions and then seeing the planes repaired and flying again. Yet, he still liked going to NEAT Fair. I thought he just liked the nice drive and finding new places to eat. Last year, he found out profile foamies are very reasonably priced and durable. He started coming out with me to the clubs when he didn't have other activities and flying an old profile foamy that I beat up a lot over the years. He likes hanging with the guys. His flying was still pretty awkward and just a pattern around the field with a few snap rolls thrown in. Every time he was with me, I made sure we stopped somewhere to eat afterward and talked about the flights and whatever is on his mind. This winter, he hit RealFlight hard. At least 15 minutes a day for 3 or 4 days a week. He swore that the minor and constant stick movements improved his Fortnite game. Whatever. I'll take it. Yesterday, he asked to go try his new plane and I recorded this.

RA Cores Extra Profile Foam Airplane - Callum's First Flight (2 min 40 sec)

I only had enough money on me for a frozen Coke for him afterward. He deserved it. It was the first time he flew in wind and kept the plane under control the entire time. No buddy box. No help except for me walking on the field to hand launch it because the wind was at our backs. That is why the video is the way it is. I had to run back to the flight line. And he nailed the final landing. Plus this is a park he is normally not comfortable at. He prefers the wide open clubs, but they are too soggy to walk on. I am so proud of him. He's 13 and we are going to have a fun summer of flying together.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2019, 02:03 PM
So encouraging to see some young blood showing interest in the sport! Consider yourself very lucky to have a son interested at such a young age. I say plant the seed now and later on after his life settles down he will want to get back into it.

Cheers!
Lyle
Mar 26, 2019, 07:38 AM
Well done , Papa...but especially your son!
Mar 30, 2019, 01:59 AM
That’s great to see - you both are doing well as pilot and dad.

Quick Reply