Depron Dragon A/V & A/P configuration - range on 1000mw - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 25, 2005, 02:32 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?

Depron Dragon A/V & A/P configuration - range on 1000mw

Here are some photos of my current set-up.

The video is the Black Widow 1000mw setup
The camera is an Olympus D-40 w/servo actuator

The platform is my own design based on readily available Slow Stick parts and Depron Sheeting. I call it the "Depron Dragon"

Threads on the platform are here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324859

I am really getting impressed with the Black Widow 1000mw system. As I have mentioned before i am slowly working out the bugs. (Every new system seems to go through this process)

I checked on my mapsource software and I got about .7 (7 tenths) of a mile away at about 500-600 feet and I still had excellent video quality... I'm sure if I did the geometry it would put that at close to a mile away? From what I could see I could have easily gone MUCH further right here in suburbia... BUT I'm still chicken!

I could still see the plane (barely) but I could not tell orientation very well at all and had to rely on the platforms good stability qualities (hands off with or without throttle) and the video feed to make course corrections, get it turned back around toward me for the return flight etc. All pretty exciting. I am very cautious though, as this area is flooded with stray RF signals from every concievable source.

My final bug seems to be the audio feed. For some reason it works fine on the bench, but is nearly zip out in real life... I'm sure I will track down the source of this bug before long.

I like the audio for a few reasons:

1) I can hear the performance of my motor.
2) I can hear when the camera shutter is triggered.
3) The wind noise is a good trim indicator during motor off gliding.
4) I can ever hear ground noises and birds (typically seagulls following me!)

Anyway, that is the latest... here are some photos of the Depron Dragon all loaded up ready for flight....

CJS
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2005, 02:38 AM
I'd say thats loaded up! Holy cow! 3 batteries, 2 cameras! Amazing!
Jan 25, 2005, 04:18 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Yessssireee,

About 44-46 oz AUW - and STILL floats!

CJS
Oct 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
Hi,
Did you have any interference problems between your 1-watt video transmitter and your fs8 copilot receiver??