Mar 24, 2019, 07:55 AM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Thread OP
Discussion

Improved my DS-16 trim buttons

Good Morning,

Had a wonderful day of flying yesterday, but ran into a problem when I was landing my 100cc extra. I switched from a JR12x to the DS16 just a few months ago so I am not an expert user. I thought I was putting in down throttle trim but instead I was adding left rudder trim. Had to fly around a few times before I figured out what I was doing. I got to thinking, how can I make it so I know which trim button I'm pushing without looking down at the radio. To finish the day at the field I put a small cut out of velcro on the throttle and elevator trims so my fingers could 'feel' the right button.

I made some 3d printed trim hats (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2893278) but I did not like how large they were or how much they stood out from the radio. I was inadvertently hitting them because of their size.

When I got home I 3d printed some half spheres to fit on top of the vertical trims (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:596388/files - photo below - sized to 5mm in x - y). I glued them to the trim buttons with some contact adhesive (easily removable) and they work great, keep a low profile, and make it easy to figure out which trim button I'm selecting without looking down.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else struggles with these trim buttons.

Craig
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2019, 08:55 PM
Nice. Thanks
Mar 30, 2019, 09:50 AM
Closed Account

Auto Trim

I use the Auto Trim feature and, combined with disabling trim buttons other than throttle, your problem is solved; 'though nothing wrong with 3D printed parts - I have a few for my Tx (case gimbal protection) and Rx...

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by psk560
Good Morning,

Had a wonderful day of flying yesterday, but ran into a problem when I was landing my 100cc extra. I switched from a JR12x to the DS16 just a few months ago so I am not an expert user. I thought I was putting in down throttle trim but instead I was adding left rudder trim. Had to fly around a few times before I figured out what I was doing. I got to thinking, how can I make it so I know which trim button I'm pushing without looking down at the radio. To finish the day at the field I put a small cut out of velcro on the throttle and elevator trims so my fingers could 'feel' the right button.

I made some 3d printed trim hats (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2893278) but I did not like how large they were or how much they stood out from the radio. I was inadvertently hitting them because of their size.

When I got home I 3d printed some half spheres to fit on top of the vertical trims (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:596388/files - photo below - sized to 5mm in x - y). I glued them to the trim buttons with some contact adhesive (easily removable) and they work great, keep a low profile, and make it easy to figure out which trim button I'm selecting without looking down.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else struggles with these trim buttons.

Craig
Mar 31, 2019, 05:32 PM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Thread OP
I'll have to figure out how to use the auto-trim feature. I'm still new to this radio but have been very impressed so far.

Craig
Mar 31, 2019, 08:00 PM
Closed Account
Craig,
I setup AutoTrim on a momentary switch. Then when I fly a model that needs trim, e.g., maiden flight, I just depress the momentary button and fly the sticks until the bird is level, by then the sticks are centered as the AutoTrim has been adjusting the trim in response to out-of-center stick position(s). Release the momentary button and you're finished.

No fumbling with the trim buttons, or cross-setting trim buttons (left set for right stick...)

By unassigning the trim buttons, only AutoTrim works (in your case, leave throttle assigned...)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by psk560
I'll have to figure out how to use the auto-trim feature. I'm still new to this radio but have been very impressed so far.

Craig
Dec 05, 2019, 03:08 AM
F3B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
I use the Auto Trim feature and, combined with disabling trim buttons other than throttle, your problem is solved; 'though nothing wrong with 3D printed parts - I have a few for my Tx (case gimbal protection) and Rx...

Michael
The problem would be solved if jeti made better trims as well.

Auto trim isn't the same as trimming. E.g on gliders you might want to trim for minimum sink. This isn't best achieved by auto trim. There are times you want to subtly adjust the flying speed by a couple of clicks of trim. Again auto trim is very poor for this.

The trim button on the tx are bad. That's the reality. Style over substance. After market trim hats don't exist on other radios.
Dec 05, 2019, 07:57 AM
While the Velcro tabs are a good idea to help identify rudder vs throttle trims I have an additional suggestion that will eliminate this particular problem completely. Don't use throttle trim in flight!
I also came from a JR12x and always simply used the analog trim to adjust throttle for landing. However on transmitters without analog throttle trims it's FAR more convenient to create a high low idle function and simply select "low idle" when you are ready to land. The function is directly supported in the transmitter in the Advanced->Other functions-> throttle idle function.
After I set this up I wondered why I ever even liked having an analog throttle trim.

Quick Reply