This thread is privately moderated by Sweetieinsf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 23, 2019, 07:10 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Discussion

Ritewing Drak 4.0

EDIT 7/3/19
After a few flights I found that with the Eagle mounted so close to the nose on the pan servo it was very disorienting under head tracker control since I had no center reference. I also found that it kinda ruined the HD footage with it right in front so I removed the pan servo and mounted the cam in the foam - much better!

EDIT 3/28/19
A few items I didn't mention in the original post and my final AUW:
1) Current AUW is 4063gr. with a Turnigy 10k 12-24C 6S and 3995gr with a (no longer available) Multistar 10k 10C 6S
2) I used, for the first time, Goop hinges. They are MUCH more flexible than my usual "Z" hinge and tape or lam and I could not tear them off when I tried.
3) On my previous Drak Builds I have used a double layer of 5mil lam on the bottom and even that get's torn up from landings on the rough ground where I fly. For this build I went with 2 light coats of Goop. It remains to be seen if that is more effective...
4) With my new idea of putting the Vtx in the SIDE of the nose, rather than in the top, I discovered that in bench testing the large heat sink got HOT after 10-15 minutes. I didn't have this issue on other planes with the heat sink facing up and since I often will be powered up for 10-15 minutes while waiting for sat lock, calibrating the tracker, and general BS I decided to add a fan. I have several that come with my Hobbywing ESCs that I don't use. I cut a hole in the Main Bay corro and glued the fan to the underside and connected it, using a "Y" connector, to the Pan Servo feed. I then cut a matching channel in the foam battery nose block to feed it directly to the Vtx with and exit to the rear. After 30 minutes powered up on the bench the heat sink was just warm to the touch! I think it looks cool too! Photos below.

This is my fourth Drak build after my original production Drak, my 80" Extended Wing Drak, and a 68" Prototype. The goal with this build was light weight, simple, and a more efficient 6S power train for long distance proximity flying. Unlike my previous Drak builds this one has almost no paint or lamination (just a 2" strip on the wing leading edges) for weight savings. I purchased the kit from a guy on the Ritewing Nation Facebook Group 12/20/18.

AUW with 10,000mah 6S comes in at just under 4000gr. compared to my original Drak at 4760gr. or my 80" Drak at 4660gr., both with 10,000mah 5S.

Since a panning flight cam is advantageous when fly close proximity I mounted a Runcam Eagle 2 Pro on a 180 degree servo on top of the nose and for HD I have a Insta360 ONE mounted in a recess just behind the flight cam. The video quality and stabilization is outstanding at half the price of the new GoPro and presents a more aerodynamic frontal area.

Equipment:
Motor - Ritewing SS 3530 650kv
ESC - Hobbywing Platinum 100A
Servos - Blu Bird BMS-6212DMG+HS High Speed Digital Metal Gear Dual Ball Bearings
Pan Servo - Hitec HS-5065MG+
Eagle Tree Vector with Air Speed Sensor and Alerter
Dragonlink V3 Large Advance Telemetry Receiver
VTX - ElectrifyRC T1013 Pro 1000mw 1.3
Video Antenna - TrueRC Side Feed Singularity
Flight Camera - Runcam Eagle 2 Pro
HD Camera - Insta360 ONE
50v 1000uf Capacitor on ESC feed
Last edited by Sweetieinsf; Jul 03, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2019, 10:50 PM
Very well done Sir. Looks Great!

QUESTION: Is the T1013 Pro 1.2GHz 500/1000mW your go to VTX? At nearly twice the cost of an Orange cased 800 (actual 600mW) Digital 1.3 VTX that is most popular, do you think its performance justifies its cost?
Mar 24, 2019, 09:58 AM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company
Very well done Sir. Looks Great!

QUESTION: Is the T1013 Pro 1.2GHz 500/1000mW your go to VTX? At nearly twice the cost of an Orange cased 800 (actual 600mW) Digital 1.3 VTX that is most popular, do you think its performance justifies its cost?
We will soon find out! First one I've tried and only $4 more than the RMRC 1000mw units I've been using. Here in San Francisco I need the high power due to very high noise floor. This one tested at 805mw.
Mar 24, 2019, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the tested output as that's good to know. Hopefully it will fly as good as it looks and put a smile on your face!
Apr 24, 2019, 06:10 PM
Just wondering how the VTX - ElectrifyRC T1013 Pro 1000mw 1.3 is preforming and what your initial thoughts are of it?
Apr 24, 2019, 06:30 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company
Just wondering how the VTX - ElectrifyRC T1013 Pro 1000mw 1.3 is preforming and what your initial thoughts are of it?
So far I'm impressed! I'm getting great video and range so far but have only flown out about 2 miles so far with this girl. Even with the 2 large heatsinks I added with it imbedded in the foam I found it got pretty hot sitting static so I added a small fan to direct some airflow to the inner side while it's on the ground and now it stays just warm. See the first 3 pictures.
May 13, 2019, 07:12 PM
Pitot Bandito

Goop hinging

Nice work as usual, Wayne...I've been thinking about doing the Goop hinges........was it applied on the top surface only,
or is there another layer inside the bottom slot?
May 13, 2019, 08:17 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanzaman
Nice work as usual, Wayne...I've been thinking about doing the Goop hinges........was it applied on the top surface only,
or is there another layer inside the bottom slot?
Just on top
Jun 15, 2019, 09:47 PM
Pitot Bandito
Sweetie, I'm finally getting around to doing the Goop hinges on my Drak......they look really nice when finished, and yes, seem to be strong as hell, but I glued 'em up with pretty much zero hinge gap............. not thinking ahead enough I guess, as the up travel is generous, but the down binds against the bevel on the leading edge of the elevons, so down travel is limited to about 1/2 or less what the up is. I have not set up the radio quite yet, but it looks like I might be able to get about a 1/2" of down travel...think this will work?
Jun 17, 2019, 01:39 PM
Pitot Bandito
OK, worried too soon...after setting up the reflex, got plenty of travel!
Jun 18, 2019, 07:20 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
OK, worried too soon...after setting up the reflex, got plenty of travel!
That was going to be my advice! It's a good idea to have plenty of travel for the maiden just in case (ask me how I know...) but once you get it dialed in it needs very little travel for flight. I'd have to go measure the actual travel I have setup on the V4 but it isn't much. In this video you can see it flies very precisely and at the end, just as I'm landing, you can just see the red elevons peak up over the wings as I flare in:
Big Drak V4.0 First Long Range Flight, Beach Bomb, and Shadow Chase (5 min 36 sec)
Jun 18, 2019, 08:34 PM
Pitot Bandito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf
That was going to be my advice! It's a good idea to have plenty of travel for the maiden just in case (ask me how I know...) but once you get it dialed in it needs very little travel for flight. I'd have to go measure the actual travel I have setup on the V4 but it isn't much. In this video you can see it flies very precisely and at the end, just as I'm landing, you can just see the red elevons peak up over the wings as I flare in: https://youtu.be/CbdoUWbuwSA
Thanks, Wayne....I see what you mean...even flared back to land, the tips of the elevons barely show...not that you're flaring deep with the Drak on landing!
I think I'll increase my throws (elev) a bit before the maiden on your always good advice! I did read back on the FPV lab forum someone who wound up with only about +/- 3/8" elevator throws after trimming the ship out..!
Jun 19, 2019, 09:43 AM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks, Wayne....I see what you mean...even flared back to land, the tips of the elevons barely show...not that you're flaring deep with the Drak on landing!
I think I'll increase my throws (elev) a bit before the maiden on your always good advice! I did read back on the FPV lab forum someone who wound up with only about +/- 3/8" elevator throws after trimming the ship out..!
On a perfect landing (like that one ) you should be full back on the elevator just as you land. I guess the best advice is to setup high and low rates, high for takeoff, landings, and hard manuevors, low for close proximity.

Quick Reply