Jun 28, 2019, 11:52 AM
Which is exactly why I don't fly (trust) FPV....

For the reason I mentioned - unpredictable interference from spot to spot - a simple range check - a simple flat range check close to the ground..., seems as unreliable as anything... I can't imagine that most FPV race quad guys do thorough range checks for every new set up...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2019, 12:42 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
you don't do the test in an open field, unless thats where you will only fly. you do it in a place thats similar to there you'd normally fly.
and yes for each new VTX I use, I test it.

anyway I guess you are not into FPV as it is now, that's fine. maybe in a few years when digital is cheaper and more plug and play.

------------------------------------

back on topic for this cool honking thing. I like that its listed as a cruiser. there's defo a market for that. -usually all we see are racers, which honestly are above the majority of pilot's stick skills.
Jul 01, 2019, 05:31 PM

Camera problems?

Guys have any of you had problems with the runcam split version, my camera wouldn't turn on most the time but i could see the betaflight osd still, just a black background, randomly it would boot to camera but then flicker and go off.. So i changed the Split for the Caddx turtle and now I have a picture but in flight it will randomly flicker black then come straight back.. Starting to think it could be the on board 5v rail but the 5v is always shown in the osd.
Jul 01, 2019, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_I
My friend has the split mini version, and the split shut down on the goggles several times. We got rid of the runcam split and no problems anymore... quad is flying super smooth, fast and responsive!

It is an awesome quad!
For small money you get a fantastic stack (I have the Stable Pro in 5 quads now from 4S to 6S performing flawless, reliable and easy to tune) with smooth and durable motors and a very nice frame!
Highly recommend, will get mine soon

Get decent 6S lipos and this thing will rip!
Hi what did you friend swap it out for please? Thanks
Jul 02, 2019, 06:21 AM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crezzlin
Guys have any of you had problems with the runcam split version, my camera wouldn't turn on most the time but i could see the betaflight osd still, just a black background, randomly it would boot to camera but then flicker and go off.. So i changed the Split for the Caddx turtle and now I have a picture but in flight it will randomly flicker black then come straight back.. Starting to think it could be the on board 5v rail but the 5v is always shown in the osd.
if the 5V power supply fails, the camera-system would reboot, and show you it's logo first (at least in the case of the RC Split)..
So I think you can rule that out (?)
If possible, I would try testing the Split and/or Turtle on a different quad.. It kinda looks like your flight controller isn't passing the FPV feed through consistently..
Jul 03, 2019, 06:02 AM
PowerMetalPilot
I had a problem just like this in a quad i had in for repair which i ended up replacing the fc after trying two different cameras.

Would adding a second wire that bridges the two video in and out pads together fix the problem? Because that way its essentially overlaying the flight controllers video control but still allowing the osd??

Seriously try that there's nothing to lose in testing it and it should fix the problem.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:25 PM
Herrsavage, I am utterly bewildered by why you are posting in this thread. This is mean to be a thread for persons who own this quad or are interested in purchasing this quad to communicate, ask questions give advice etc...

You're in here saying that you won't spend more than $22 on a Chinese order, ever buy new batteries and you are philosophically against FPV...

Why are you posting here? Do you not understand the prevalence of FPV flight at this point? This is a model specific discussion and you are knocking it because you are seemingly against the entire hobby...
Jul 04, 2019, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyydna
Herrsavage, I am utterly bewildered ...
some people just like to login so they can argue. #HH
Jul 09, 2019, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Herrsavage, I am utterly bewildered by why you are posting in this thread. This is mean to be a thread for persons who own this quad or are interested in purchasing this quad to communicate, ask questions give advice etc...

You're in here saying that you won't spend more than $22 on a Chinese order, ever buy new batteries and you are philosophically against FPV...

Why are you posting here? Do you not understand the prevalence of FPV flight at this point? This is a model specific discussion and you are knocking it because you are seemingly against the entire hobby...
I would definitely be interested in this quad (or something similar) for LOS, and potentially FPV down the road. Right now though FPV is not a priority of mine.

And no, I don't make big orders into Europe from China - if you had half a clue what Customs hassles are all about, you'd maybe understand.

Lastly, I assume by mentioning "prevalence" you mean to suggest that FPV is popular and that therefore I should jump on the bandwagon for that reason. Well, that's just not how I do things.

I still like the idea of a quad like this, but this one, if only available from China and really only for 6S, is not quite what I'd be after. I suppose I could say I'm bewildered that you cannot comprehend that somebody might still choose to ask or comment in a thread about something close to, if not exactly, what that person is looking for. Maybe somebody would have an idea of something similar and more suitable. But I'm not bewildered, because I do comprehend that this is the internet, and not all people can think outside of their own narrow box. In fact most, like you obviously, can't.
Jul 09, 2019, 12:31 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
maybe you could talk to a "local" shop to see if they would want to include it in their next order from GepRC..
At least.. over here in the Netherlands there are a few (web)shops that carry GepRC stuff..

And yes.. in that case you'd be Sure to be paying import tax
Jul 13, 2019, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I would definitely be interested in this quad (or something similar) for LOS, and potentially FPV down the road. Right now though FPV is not a priority of mine.

And no, I don't make big orders into Europe from China - if you had half a clue what Customs hassles are all about, you'd maybe understand.

Lastly, I assume by mentioning "prevalence" you mean to suggest that FPV is popular and that therefore I should jump on the bandwagon for that reason. Well, that's just not how I do things.

I still like the idea of a quad like this, but this one, if only available from China and really only for 6S, is not quite what I'd be after. I suppose I could say I'm bewildered that you cannot comprehend that somebody might still choose to ask or comment in a thread about something close to, if not exactly, what that person is looking for. Maybe somebody would have an idea of something similar and more suitable. But I'm not bewildered, because I do comprehend that this is the internet, and not all people can think outside of their own narrow box. In fact most, like you obviously, can't.

The only comment you made regarding this model is the following:
Quote:
Well it's a cool design, but not quite what I'm after I guess.
and
Quote:
Anyway, this looks like a cool quad, but I'll give it a miss due to lack of EU availability(the price would be stupid here of course anyway) and the need for 6S lipos..
You did not ask any questions, you did not ask for recommendations for other quads.

You did make some comments about how you feel unsafe flying FPV, aren't very interested in quads, how FPV drones other than DJI products are "cheap racer things". It just comes across very negative and does not strike me as participating in the conversation about this model or similar models.

In no way did I suggest that you should be jumping on the FPV bandwagon because it is popular. If you don't feel like flying FPV that is completely cool to me. I just don't understand fully why you chose this discussion of all places to explain to everyone why you don't like to fly FPV. My point was more that if you understand the prevalence of FPV, there must be dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of discussions about FPV flying in other places. So I do not understand why you have chosen an owner's thread for a particular model to be the appropriate place to explain your distaste for FPV flying.

Quote:
and not all people can think outside of their own narrow box. In fact most, like you obviously, can't.
It's a bit disappointing that you were not able to respond to my criticism without making a vague personal attack. I see you have made thousands of comments on this forum, so perhaps I need to understand that this is a place where you come to socialize and interact with others, and that the point for you is to be a part of every discussion.
Jul 13, 2019, 02:10 PM
I received my GEPRC Crocodile last week. It has been a bit frustrating so far, but very fun for the time that brief time that I was in the air.

When I first received it I disassembled and checked through the build, I was generally happy but added some tie wraps to motor wires, to the beeper, and secured the battery leads better to the frame.

I also designed and 3d printed a wedge adapter to hold the go pro camera at a different angle the stock angle appeared to me to be about 40deg, so I printed a 30 degree wedge to reduce the camera angle down closer to 10deg to better match my FPV cam.

The first real headache was the FrSky R9, I ordered the pro version with micro swift cam, r9MM rx, and also an R9M tx module. I spent some time updating the firmware on the R9, and then spent hours upon hours troubleshooting why I could not get the Rx and Tx to bind. I tried many different firmware on both units. Eventually I found that the R9MM antenna may be damaged by the way that the factory builder had wound it around the VTX antenna. I swapped out the R9MM for an XM+ and moved on with my life for now. I've ordered a replacement R9MM and some antenna so will continue trying with R9 when those arrived.

I'm using GNB 2200mAh 6s 110c batteries.

I had my maiden test flight at some local sports fields that were vacant. Coming from flying micro quads with my largest being a 250g AUW 4", this 1kg UAW 7" 6s quad was a lot to get used to. The quad moves around space quickly and smoothly. My throttle control was garbage, and my turning was shaky, I think I will try reducing my rates for the next flight. The GoPro hero7 black produced amazing footage.

I did not see very good performance with the GPS in the test flight. I was able to get up to 7 satellites before taking off , but that number dropped once I was in the air, maybe I need to work on antenna placement or check out if my battery cable was in the way.

Anyways, the net result of my test flight was a burnt out motor and a death spiral and fall. The frame bottom plate cracked upon impact, I wish the bottom plate was thicker than 2.5mm that is provided, it's not strong enough to deal with a fall.

I think the motor failed because of poor filter or PID settings. The other motors were all very warm when I got to the quad. I regret not bringing the quad in earlier to check motor temps, lesson learned.

I've ordered a replacement frame, and have also decided to change motors to the Racerstar BR2508 at 1275KV. They cost about $13CAD a motor rather than $35 for the stock GEPRC motors, I'm hoping that they will be run cooler and be more efficient on 6s due to the lower KV. They come with an total approx 50g weight penalty, which on a current AUW of 1kg with GoPro does not strike me as being significant.

Here is a video of my last minute before my crash. You can see that it was a high speed turn in one direction which really stressed the motors. It was the front right motor that died, which I guess would be the one which was spinning the slowest in the turn.

Geprc Croc Maiden (1 min 24 sec)
Jul 13, 2019, 04:56 PM
PowerMetalPilot
I have played around with pids all over the place and never had a motor get destroyed in both cheap and expensive ones as a result, I mean maybe if you had your dterm way high but even then you really have to crank it up to get them hot. I have felt really hot motors and when you do you know but warm or just hot isn't and shouldn't cause a crash like that on a maiden flight. The motors weren't under any stress at all by the looks of your footage.

Have you tested the escs after the fod because i would be doing that before looking at motors also soldering and any other potential shorts in the wiring. Brushless motors for the most part take some air abuse and its really only crashing that kills them prematurely..
Jul 13, 2019, 05:26 PM
Yea, I'm not too sure. I've never had a motor or an ESC fail before. My first thought was that it was an ESC that burned up. If I power up the quad that motor will still move a bit, but but cant complete a smooth or full revolution.

The reason why I believe it is the motor which burned up is because I can physically see that the winding on that motor are all blackened and gooey looking like the insulation has melted.

I was flying on default PIDS for betaflight 4, with some changes lazily applied. I was crunched for time and thought it would be smart to copy and paste the suggested changes for larger props from the article on betaflight 4 tuning, I thought it would be good to get me in the air for a quick test flight. I'm not wondering if those filter changes that I copy and pasted were the issue. I have not actually tried a good motor on this ESC to confirm that the ESC is ok. Once I saw the black insulation on the motor I immediately assumed the motor was done.

The only thing I changed from stock betaflight 4 PIDs and filters was:

Quote:
https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...0-Tuning-Notes
"I'm flying large props - 7" or bigger to X class"
set dyn_lpf_gyro_min_hz = 70
set dyn_lpf_gyro_max_hz = 350
set dyn_notch_range = LOW
set iterm_relax_type = gyro
set iterm_relax_cutoff = 7
set dyn_notch_min_hz = 100
set dyn_lpf_dterm_min_hz = 70
set dyn_lpf_dterm_max_hz = 150
set dterm_lowpass2_hz = 120
set d_yaw = 0
It's entirely possible that the motor had an issue from the factory. I still think it was the right call for me to change motor types because I will need to stock a spare parts inventory of some sort of motor for this quad and it was much easier to swallow buying 8pcs of the 2508 for $100CAD which would buy me less than 4 of the GEPRC motors. I'm not planning on pushing the performance to the edge so the inexpensive motors are probably a better fit for me long term.

I considered changing frames as well after the bottom plate broke on this thing. I think that a frame should be engineered to survive a fall onto grass for a quad of a given weight. I didn't see any 7" frames that I liked as much as this one. It is kind of silly that this frame offers replaceable arms, but no one sells arms for this frame, not even straight from GEPRC. If I break the frame again I will likely switch to something with thicker plates. I would love if avant quads made a 7" frame because I have their 4" Sirio and it is very strong for the weight. I can drop it out of the sky all day long and it doesn't break. I've been impressed with the strength of that frame because I started on a hyperlite toothfairy 4" and the arms on that thing would snap if you looked at them wrong.

Attached are some photos of the top and bottom of the suspected failed motor and a known good motor for reference.
Last edited by andyydna; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Jul 13, 2019, 11:32 PM
Quote:
theres a long track record of arguing just to be obtuse with this one. just a personality trait I guess.

Quick Reply