Apr 16, 2019, 06:13 PM
An 11xx motor with push fit props is an unusual choice. I much prefer the screw down props on my 11s.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2019, 10:20 PM
monkeymagic

Component choice review

Unfortunately it sounds like Kabab got shafted by happymodel on this one but for what it's worth I've written an article below analysing the components they have chosen and my thoughts on them in some detail.

https://www.quadifyrc.com/reviews/ha...and-discussion

Apr 16, 2019, 11:27 PM
Not sure I completely understand how he was 'shafted.' There's no denying his passion for this size/style quad. And he's put a lot of time into testing and sharing his results. But, it's not like he highly recommends Happymodel parts. Was he planning to come to market with a BNF toothpick? Did he contact them to build his ideal version of the toothpick (out of the hundreds of options on the build page he has) and they made it themselves? That I would totally understand and definitely think much less of Happymodel if they did that to him.
Apr 16, 2019, 11:57 PM
BisDak2
Micro size brushless quad been done few years back. The only difference now are the components are being integrated into one board.

I think these video introduced me to build micro brushless
Convert Brushed FC to Brushless, Ultra Micro 95mm Brushless Build (18 min 9 sec)
Apr 17, 2019, 01:36 AM
yeah, and Airblade and Tomoquads, as well as a multitude of other frame makers have been working on Mobula conversion/16x16 stack, ductless toothpick style frames for quite some time. I'm not trying to defend HappyModel, I feel like there's more to this if Kabob feels slighted.
Apr 17, 2019, 02:08 AM
It is going in the line of Kabab, but it is a logical evolution. When I was flying the Mobu HD on 3S one of my first thoughts was how it will do with a lighter racing frame? It is no copying I think (recognizing first the great job of Kabab!!!)
Apr 17, 2019, 02:54 AM
monkeymagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfear
It is going in the line of Kabab, but it is a logical evolution. When I was flying the Mobu HD on 3S one of my first thoughts was how it will do with a lighter racing frame? It is no copying I think (recognizing first the great job of Kabab!!!)
I think he had an agreement with happymodel that they let him down on. Full speed on the other hand let him know they were developing their own. He's pretty filthy with happymodel
Apr 17, 2019, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadifyRC.com
I think he had an agreement with happymodel that they let him down on.
Oh, he never explicitly said that, I watch his vids.. thats pretty greasy of Happymodel.
Apr 19, 2019, 02:37 PM
Drones + Cloud !
Thread OP
added some specs and photos/videos
Apr 19, 2019, 04:01 PM
On the first video on the main page who's to say Nathan is flying the Sailfly you don't even see him holding it in his hands!........If you check his youtube page out there is another video and yet he states you will see nick burns giving you more details on the quad and again he fails to show you the Sailfly not even a peak........Hmmmmm.
Apr 21, 2019, 07:14 PM
yet another rushed into production just to get the initial quick sales
have we learned nothing from recent rushed to production quads.

Look at the state of the canopy. What sort of company would release photos of preproduction models with the state that 3D printed canopy is in.
Its as if they really dont care. Didnt even spend 5minutes to clean it up.
Apr 22, 2019, 02:56 AM
Yeah this is nothing new, I made this sort of thing as my second brushless build years ago but with seperate 4in1 ESC and and FC with Rx built in on bamboo skewers lol.
I got much longer flight times too by choosing low kv motors and bigger more efficient props.

So this isn't a whoop and will break as a normal quad will , it has build in Rx so range won't be great.

The idea of taking a whoop and sticking it all on a toothpick frame to get much better performance is a good and fun one being a cheap upgrade ..

Having said that this is going to give amazing performance out of the box for $90 and probably come down in price later on so is going to be popular and I think it is a natural evolution of the hobby.

I certainly want one already...

I also think a hd version would be good, a caddx hd maybe...
If I get one I'll be sure to review it on my blog etc.

I do think happymodel are rushing things out of the door but at least improve things when a problem is found
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Apr 22, 2019, 03:05 AM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Yep... I do not think that something like this is necessarily the 'evolution' of the whoop either. This is a micro FPV freestyle quad -- and when crashed well enough, are going to break like nigel said. Whoops will continue to have their place for their super durability, even if they are pigs in flight.

It's a cool idea though and I want one anyway too. But you just know the first batch of these is likely to have some kind of issue. Took them a while to iron out the mobula7 and they're still working on it... happymodel is particularly bad about this kind of thing as well. That 3D print really does look hideous for a product promo photo...
Apr 22, 2019, 04:33 AM
By evolution of the hobby is didn't mean an evolution of the whoop, i just meant with the registration of bigger drones etc that getting performance from these micro quads is the way it's going.
It's not a whoop, it's not as safe around people as a whoop and won't stand up to crashing the same but it's gonna be able to fly. In small places the bigger quads would be too risky to fly and still be powerful and reasonably efficient and hopefully handle better than a whoop.

I still fly my bamboo skewers build a LOT in small areas , it's very similar to this , but I don't take the same risks for shooting gaps as I do with my mobula7.

I guess the only real difference to previous micros with this is the aio FC /ESC /Rx making it nice and light.

Maybe we will get some better props at this size from this though, these props aren't as good as the old gemfans , the new gemfans aren't hugely reviewed yet but I saw a couple of reports saying they weren't all that great either.
The old ones were more efficient and had more thrust but were brittle.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Apr 25, 2019, 11:13 AM
Check out my video on the Sailfly-X

Sailfly-X Micro FPV Racer 🔥 (20 min 20 sec)

Quick Reply