May 21, 2019, 12:15 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
sure no worries I will measure for you. The retracts are a chinese electric brand, no name on the side but will see what their dimentions are.

They are not 100% correct in that they need to extend to 95 degrees IIRC but only do 90 degrees. I am not to worried about it as this is not a super scale build and when down they look close enough.

The problem with the retracts on a spitty is that when they retract bacwards to behind where the main spar would have been, the forward rake angle and slight toe in causes the wheel to sit at a weird angle in the well and if the wheel is a "fat one" it will not sit in the well but the one edge will stand proud.

The supplied ABS wells in my kit and wheels seem to work OK though. BUT the wells need to go all the way to the top skin to achieve this.

The top of the wings are painted now aswell.

Theuns
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 07:56 PM
cat herder
Thanks for the offer to measure, but no rush.
May 22, 2019, 11:31 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
:-)
I am running arround with a Supet decathlon I need to get to the avionics guy next week, I have a S2B pitts comming in from the USA today that I need to inspect the fabric and wood on and am making a replica display full size rudder of Ernst Udet's Fokker D7 so Im swomped till the weekend but will tak a pic of the retract setup with measurements on ....its easier than trying to explain what the sizes are LOL

When you work with the fuselage, the gellcoat is quiter fragile so be gentle with it.

Theus
May 26, 2019, 11:46 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
I go the wing roundals painted , lucky they are simple. I just need to add the cenrtal orange spot. I started to paint the fuse then ran out of paint....good thing as I later realized that I still need to come up with some access hatch in the upper nose for the lipo.

Theuns
Jun 10, 2019, 10:37 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I have most of the paint done ,just need ailerons, re-touch the elevs and rudder and do roundal centre spots. As it wil be eectric I am not going to put a clearcoat over it.

Theuns
Jun 11, 2019, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=T. van Vuuren;42056165As it wil be eectric I am not going to put a clearcoat over it.

Theuns[/QUOTE]

Nice! The access to the battery is through the cowl ? What motor/ batt setup r u using ? Thanks
Jun 11, 2019, 09:28 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Yup. bottom of cowl wil be removable for lipo access under the motor mound. Not to sure yet, wil have to get a "60" size electric setup for it later.

This paint tecnique I used to look like bare metal was an experiment to practice for my 1/5 full comosite P-51d kit I will be producing soon. The tonal difference in the pnnes seem to work out well.

Theuns
Jul 14, 2019, 09:11 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I got one side of the exhaust stacks inplace today. Needless to say it is onlt a fraction of the work I planned on doing but not nearly enough time
The bottom cowl has the carb scoop hollowed out to be the main cooling air intake for the esc/motor, the exhausts are hollow allu tube to exit the hot air.

The bottom cowl also will be te main access to the 6 cell lipo that will be housed in the standoff box for the motor.

I lightly weathered the area just behind the stack but not nearly as heavy as on a painted aerie, the bare metal is allot easier to clean off.

Theuns
Jul 16, 2019, 11:27 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
I shaded the pannel lines to give some deffinition and weathered the bottom of the centre section.

Theuns
Jul 20, 2019, 10:50 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I got the cearcot on and it now has a slightly weathered satin look to it but still retain the metal grain look, not to visable n the pix.

Now I need to start outfitting it with esc/motor and gear,servos.

Sofar Im at 6 Lb

Theuns
Jul 23, 2019, 10:36 PM
Nice job on the build and finish --something different

Mike
Jul 26, 2019, 12:36 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Thanx, I hpe to get to outfit the electronics this weekend and get it flying asap.

I want to start the molds and tooling for the 1/6 Spitty by year end. I want to do a full composite kit for ease of construction.

Theuns
Jul 27, 2019, 10:54 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I made the motor standoff box and also used the space below it to mound the 6 cell lipo as far forward as I could to aid with the cg.

The UC I got a little to far outboard, should ba aboyt 30 mm inwards for scale but to late now

Theuns

Quick Reply