Mar 23, 2019, 12:02 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Discussion

Hacker 1/7 Spitfire build

Hi all, I am "double posting" this here as I was not sure of my final choice if power train for this model, I had hoped to go electric but costs might be prohibative so I might just use a nitro engine in the end....if I were to "score some loot" and go electric I will ask the mods to move it....apologies in advance ,I know "real engine" guys dont think much of electric LOL

I started building this 1/7 Hacker Spitty Mk9.
Not a bad kit, the fuse is well molded but the gellcoat is a little brittle.
The plane had a problem with the first few not having any washout and having to land quite hot. As I dont know what batch kit this is I decided to add the split flaps.

I am not goin mad with the scale detail, just spruce it up a little.

Wheel wells are ABS and after fiddling with them for a few hours I got them installed today a bit moe flush than in the pix before gluing in.
The cockpit detail is simple but good enough for this scale.

I am planing to do the WW2 Western desert color scheme used on Malta by the SAAF.

I am not eitirely sure yet about the power train, I have an ASP .91 fs, a Saito 1.00 GK but am leaning to maybe going electric so I can get the lipos right in the nose to get CG better.

Next I need to glass the wing and get the stab installed, then Im almost ready to paint.

Theuns
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2019, 12:11 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Next I did final instelation of the stab, the gaps between stab and the fairings were not fantastic but I could not force the fairings onto the stab without breaking the gellcoat so I will just have to live with it. It is just supose to be a fun little aerie anyway ;-)

The retracts have been installed and the wing has been glassed. Now I need to be carefull with sealing the glass weave as to not add loads of weight, it happens fast!
I have learned to seal the glass with dope and micro balloons applied in a few coats and sannded smoot, it weight almost nothing and then onlt a light primer coat is needed before I can paint.

The pannel detail on the wings will be painted on, I am not going to scribe the lines in the thin glass.
The wingtips onm the kit is to sharp for a Mk9, I had to cut them down a little.
As for cockpit detail, I will kppe it light and simple.

Theuns
Mar 30, 2019, 03:28 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Here is my wing ready for a light coat of primer, then I will scribe in the pannel detail.

Theuns
Apr 08, 2019, 11:07 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I added some fabric and lacing detail to the tails by masking off and spraying primer.
I was trolling for colour schemes and rather like this Netherlands one, quite different.

Theuns
Apr 09, 2019, 06:37 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Some trimtab horn and rod detail to make it look more busy.
Apr 09, 2019, 11:20 AM
Pro Hoarder
That will look great after you get some paint on it..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 09, 2019, 11:36 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
Especially under the silver that will make the detail "pop"

Theuns
Apr 14, 2019, 06:39 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I got the cockpit detail mostly done, still need to make and add the sutton seat harnass

Theuns
May 05, 2019, 11:44 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
There has been very little progress lately , however every bit that gets done is one less thing to do later LOL
The tail controll surfaces have been epoxied in. I dont like the thin wood that the hinges go into , its onlt about 1/4" wide but since I can not alter this without cutting the stabs and surfaces open I will take a chance on it as is.

I put enough epoxy in the holes and robart style hinges so I hope it will last....

I wanted to make the elevator joiner wire the controll horn to have hidden pushrod but then I need to braze or silver solder a metal horn to it and then somehow see how to get enough travel as it would foil against the rudder post.
So I will just do an oldschool external pushrod. not as nice as hidden ones but since the ailerons ad flaps will work the same I just decided to go the simple tried and tested route.

Theuns
May 16, 2019, 09:40 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
The wingskin above the split flap on spitties are always a prob;lem being so thin that they tend to be flimsy and warp. on this kit it is no different.
I had to epoxy in a doubler made from 25 thuo 2024 alclad and it seems to have made it better. I hope to get some primer on the wing tomorrow.

Theuns
May 16, 2019, 02:23 PM
Scale Builder
G10 works good too, and also adding the half rib stiffeners.
May 17, 2019, 01:26 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
That is nice. I had the same problem on a larger spitty I built and used glass on that one but for this smaler model I wanted the simplest quicest fix. I had some 2024t3 lying arround so decided to use that.

I am looking at making the flaps out of that aswell.

Theuns
May 17, 2019, 08:17 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I have sanded the prmer on the wing. now I need to scribe in all the pannel detail.

Theuns
May 20, 2019, 01:43 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
As this will be a bare metal plane, I wanted the look of raw weathered alclad. Since this metal has a distinct graain to it , it reflects light differently depending on the angle it is viewed from. Very difficult to replicat just with painting. On the plastic display models we paint some areas glass black to give the translucent silver paint over it a darker appearence that is not as harch a difference as using different silvers, it is more "soft"

Then I spray fine silver rattlecan over the whole thing. When cured I mask off the pannels and scuff it up with scotchbrite in different directions and hardness.
This takes away the coarse grain of the paint and gives the impression of alclad. Whe I like about this is that the look alters when viewed from different angles.

Theuns
May 21, 2019, 09:30 AM
cat herder
I have this kit, but it was not set-up for retracts. If you could send me some dimensions for the bottom of the wing as well as the type retracts used, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

PS, your work looks really good.

Quick Reply