Mar 22, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Betaflight min throttle, idle speed, low threshold

I hope this is the right spot for this topic, and apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. But can someone please explain the 3 settings;

-Min throttle (I can only see this in the command line)

-idle speed (in the config tab, % of idle speed motors should spin with 0 throttle)

-low threshold (receiver tab)

The reason I'm asking is because I've been experiencing some flip and roll of death randomly when throttle is dropped while doing tricks and general consensus is its these settings causing the issue (if anyone has any other ideas please advise, I've only noticed it with air mode on, possibly something with air mode) but regardless I'd like to understand how these settings work together. Should they be the same value? (Example: min throttle and low threshold set to 1050 and idle set to 5%?) Or is there something I'm not understanding about how the FC manages these values? And is there a way to set these values properly without guess and check? I understand the individual values to be as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong)

-min throttle = the minimum value sent to the FC when throttle is all the way down (but does this effect idle speed at all?)

-idle speed = the % of total throttle range (1000 to 2000 so that's 1000 therefore 5% would be 50, thus 1050 value sent to FC, correct?)

-Low threshold = the value at which the FC considers throttle to be 0 (example: set to 1050, any throttle value of 1000 to 1049 is considered 0 to the FC)

So assuming my assumptions are correct, how do they all work together? Are they all even used? I'm using Betaflight 3.5.5 (I think?) I hope someone can help me understand these a little bit more. I can easily follow guides and such online but I'd rather have the deeper understanding of how all of this works and what betaflight is telling the FC to do. (Both a blessing and curse, my need to understand how everything works lol)

Thanks in advance!
-DaffyDubz
Last edited by DaffyDubz; Mar 22, 2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Readability
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2019, 11:52 AM
Did you set your Motor Idle Throttle Value?

Do all FOUR of your props spin without throttle input when you arm your quad?
Mar 28, 2019, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonC
Did you set your Motor Idle Throttle Value?

Do all FOUR of your props spin without throttle input when you arm your quad?
Yes all 4 spin, and I tried several values between 4 and 7 for the idle %, my motors spin smoothly (in the motors tab) at around 1010 (+30 = 1040 thus 4% was the lowest I tried)

I think I have it figured out (hopefully - time will tell) set the idle % to 6 and re-flashed the ESCs, also just for kicks, fixed the PPM range on the ESCs so they read 1000 to 2000. I'm using DSHOT 600 so I was under the impression that both Min Throttle and the ESC PPM range were not being used (I'm using BLHELI 16.7). Today I flew and had no issues, fingers crossed! I really hope this is the end of those silly death rolls, so frustrating when I crash because of that instead of pilot error

I wish I knew about BetaFlight when it came out so I could follow along with the updates lol, been trying to learn as much as I can these last few months, just a lot of info haha. Next step, figuring out all those settings on the PID tab
Nov 28, 2019, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDubz
Yes all 4 spin, and I tried several values between 4 and 7 for the idle %, my motors spin smoothly (in the motors tab) at around 1010 (+30 = 1040 thus 4% was the lowest I tried)

I think I have it figured out (hopefully - time will tell) set the idle % to 6 and re-flashed the ESCs, also just for kicks, fixed the PPM range on the ESCs so they read 1000 to 2000. I'm using DSHOT 600 so I was under the impression that both Min Throttle and the ESC PPM range were not being used (I'm using BLHELI 16.7). Today I flew and had no issues, fingers crossed! I really hope this is the end of those silly death rolls, so frustrating when I crash because of that instead of pilot error

I wish I knew about BetaFlight when it came out so I could follow along with the updates lol, been trying to learn as much as I can these last few months, just a lot of info haha. Next step, figuring out all those settings on the PID tab
Did you get this confidently figured out?

I have the exact same issue (on a brand new build with "high end" components) and it's super frustrating. I've been combing through the interwebs and I get exactly what you were/are asking.
Apr 26, 2020, 10:34 PM
udy
udy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnel
Did you get this confidently figured out?

I have the exact same issue (on a brand new build with "high end" components) and it's super frustrating. I've been combing through the interwebs and I get exactly what you were/are asking.
Allow me to follow up on both of you... any success?

Recurring desyncs on a high-end build, config seems similar to OP's. I had replaced my ESC and been flying two weeks without issue. Death rolled again today but I had reduced my min throttle to 5.5% before going out and it was pretty windy. Hoping putting it back at 6% will work -_-

Quick Reply