Sep 15, 2019, 12:25 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Okay thank you. I can't believe how small the rx r9mm is. I got everything to work great and I got to say I like the new features they are awesome, a little confusing at first but that was because I was trying to do things the old way. But once i made the decision to go with access and then i updated everything with the correct firmware and watched the frsky youtube on how to bind the new way. Everything is so fancy now and east and convenient. One last Question what does the 6.67ms pwm check box do ? For the r9mm under the rx options.
Last edited by G.wayne; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: 2 cents is free
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 10:06 PM
I notice a problem with access. In a high noise environment you cannot bind... I mean the Rx register fine but binding the Rx it's not found...
Sep 19, 2019, 02:22 PM
Hi guys, already having a headache with all this stuff so please enlighten me.

If I have a Taranis X9D+ (the old model, not the 2019) with the latest OpenTX 2.3 RCx and the R9M 2019 + R9MM OTA with their respective ACCESS firmwares would they be able to talk or that is just impossible with the X9D+?

Thanks
Last edited by Mateyhv; Sep 19, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv
Hi guys, already having a headache with all this stuff so please enlighten me.

If I have a Taranis X9D+ (the old model, not the 2019) with the latest OpenTX 2.3 RCx and the R9M 2019 + R9MM OTA with their respective ACCESS firmwares would they be able to talk or that is just impossible with the X9D+?

Thanks
They work fine.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
They work fine.
Are you sure? Maybe I did something wrong along the process but I couldn't get the R9M and R9MM to bind. Reloaded the regular FLEX firmware and they bind immediately any idea?

Just to be clear, the bind didn't work with the ACCESS flex firmwares set to 868Mhz, same config but with ACCST protocol firmwares on both module and receiver binded on the first attempt.

EDIT: I think I know where the problem is. Frsky website is a pure chaos, for the R9MM there is a firmware, for the R9MM OTA there is another firmware on its respective page but even its called OTA and OTA needs ACCESS protocol that firmware is not ACCESS. The R9MM ACCESS firmware is to be downloaded from the ACCESS web page that I find just by chance... And to make things worse it shares the same version number 1.1.2 as the OTA non-ACCESS firmware. My gosh why such a mess Frsky? The R9M module has all firmwares in one place.
Last edited by Mateyhv; Sep 19, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:05 PM
Ok, installed the right ACCESS firmware on both R9M 2019 and R9MM OTA. Still no luck binding. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Forgive me guys, after having a horrible afternoon I realized that the Aliexpress seller that had announced the R9MM OTA has in fact sent me a regular R9MM..... no comments.
Last edited by Mateyhv; Sep 19, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
Sep 20, 2019, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
They work fine.
Are you sure that you can "upgrade" the old X9D+ Taranis with ACCESS this way (R9M 2019 module + R9MM ACCESS firmware)?
Sep 20, 2019, 05:22 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Well that gives you ACCESS for UHF, but obviously not for 2.4. They are 2 different things.
Last edited by Kilrah; Sep 20, 2019 at 06:18 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Well that gives you ACCESSfor UHF, but obviously not for 2.4. They are 2 different things.
I know, in theory it should work. Hell, TBS Crossfire works perfectly fine with 150Hz refresh rate on old Taranis radios.

But that lady from FrSky said in another thread:

"Due to the hardware limitation (different interface rates), the older non-ACCESS transmitters can't afford the rate that R9M 2019 gives."

So FrSky is saying it doesn't work. Some on this thread say it works....

What is true?
Last edited by gorro; Sep 20, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 06:16 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Ah, then it needs the new radios becasue of the same issue that caused crossfire not to work at full speed on the older ones.
In theory the same hardware mod as for crossfire might allow the R9M to run...
Sep 20, 2019, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Ah, then it needs the new radios becasue of the same issue that caused crossfire not to work at full speed on the older ones.
In theory the same hardware mod as for crossfire might allow the R9M to run...
X9D was never affected by this though.

"The current hardware revision of FrSKY QX7, X10S & X12 is not fully compatible with the TBS Crossfire protocol.
If you get constant telemetry warnings or your LUA Script is not working, you might be affected. The reason is a wrong (changed) inverter on the FrSky QX7, X10S & X12 wich can not handle the 400k baudrate of the CRSF protocol." https://blog.seidel-philipp.de/fixed...and-frsky-qx7/

I still have a super old X9D Taranis from 2014 or so that works perfectly fine with TBS Crossfire at full 150Hz refresh rate.
My goto radio is a newer Taranis X9D+ SE which is now made obsolete for use with FrSky products unfortunately.

If FrSky don't come out with at least an external module to use ACCESS on a 1.5 year old Taranis, this will be my last FrSky product for sure and I will go full TBS crossfire.
Last edited by gorro; Sep 20, 2019 at 06:32 AM.
Sep 28, 2019, 01:05 AM

ACCESS protocol details

Hello all,

Do you have any idea on how the new protocol is sending the channels in 8CH / 16CH / 24CH modes?

I mean :
- is there any "priority" for few channels (i.e 1 to 4) before the others are sent?
- Are they sent by packets of 8 channels (then 2 or 3 messages to send 16 / 24 channels) ?
- last updated channels sent in priority vs "oldr" ones; then what happen if more than 8 channels are updated at the same time?

And I would like to know also how it is working for D16 :-)

Thank you,

Didier
Sep 30, 2019, 06:06 PM
Hey folks - lots of bad info posting around on the internet these days.

Show me another electronics manufacturer that offers service and parts for radios for years after the radio is discontinued. Until last year we could still source all of the parts for the very first Taranis to keep those radios up and running for their owners. How long ago did the Plus version roll out?
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/tx-ge...nis-parts.html

Show me another company that continues to sell receivers for protocols they have replaced years prior. As mentioned these are over 8 years out of spec at this point:
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky.../d-series.html
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky...telemetry.html

Show me a company that has EVER offered firmware upgrades to MAJOR new features for FREE. Yeah, FrSky thought they were going to be able to roll out ACCESS to almost all of their older D16 products, that was their original intention! How do I know? Because I am one of their oldest dealers and that is exactly what they told me early on. They were so proud to be able to offer that!

Show me another company that watches and listens to their customers so closely. FrSky has always been great about this.

ACCST was never open. Just like DSM, DSMX, DSM2, FASST, or any other protocol. This is the crown jewels of any radio company and it must be kept secure for flight safety. If you do not have your own protocol, then you are a clone company. Seems like FrSky takes a lot of heat these days for not supporting D8. Why would they support it? They can't even sell it into some of the major markets around the world. They have not developed anything for D8 since the Taranis Plus was released. Eventually the clone markets picked up on the D8 code as it was free on the internet thanks to some well minded hobby users. Little did they know.. This is not FrSky's doing, they expected the D8 to fade away, but instead clone shops started pushing out D8 stuff and selling it into markets where it isn't even legal. FrSky had nothing to do with that. The only reason they had D8 in the radios was to keep backward compatibility for their early products.

The reality is that the folks that are making a big deal over D8 going away are the clone companies. They are the ones trying to make that argument stick.

So where are we at now? D16 is now replaced, but FrSky will continue to support it for a long time forward. They will continue to sell D16 receivers and probably modules. Nothing has changed for the folks that bought a radio 1 month ago, or 5 years ago. They can still use it and still get supplies for it, and firmwares will continue to be updated for them.

Nothing has changed except FrSky has rolled out their future with ACCESS. Once again other companies will be scrambling to try and catch up. FrSky is not forcing anyone to upgrade, they are not asking you for money, they are not cutting off the older products.

Yes, I think you will see better tech information and marketing from FrSky in the near future. This has always been a weakness for FrSky. Time for them to mature in this avenue also.

I would like to point out another thing that FrSky can be proud of. They have never required customers to spend more money for more channels or features. You paid an honest price for the products you got. The reality is that channels does not alter the cost of the radio at all. Switches, gimbals, metal, engineering, color displays, etc, that alters the prices. FrSky has always held to that code. I think the only other company that can sort of claim that is the one that is now cloning their radios.

There is a LOT to like about FrSky. There are many reasons you all were attracted to them in the first place. Perhaps it was the super reliable RF range that they developed? Perhaps it was the honest price structures they use? Perhaps it was the amazing features they pioneered along with OpenTX? Perhaps it was their open warranty they pioneered for the hobby? Perhaps it was the parts availability and DIY friendly atmosphere? Perhaps it was because they listen?

What was your reason for coming to FrSky, and how long ago did you switch? I'd love to hear those stories.

-Wayne
Sep 30, 2019, 06:23 PM
My story - British importer asked me to assess a new 2.4GHz plug in module that he had come across while in China, VFT and V8R from a company called FrSky. After my experiences with earlier Corona modules this stuff came as a revelation. FrSky later sent me a DFT and receiver to try, so when the Taranis came out I had to get one. Once I got my head around OpenTX there was no going back. Now I have to keep talking myself out of ordering an X10S with Access, I know I really don't need it but...
Sep 30, 2019, 06:49 PM
I flew fixed wing back in the early 2000s with a Tower Hobbies ARF trainer, and then Airtronics radio when I started building planes. Took a long brake and got back in flying in 2016 with Hubsan quadcopters. Build my first quadcopter in early 2017 with Flysky radio gear. Built a second much larger and switch to Frsky, first with a QX7 and then to a X9D+. Have been expanding to helicopters and more radios, as now have 6 Frsky radios, at least 4 too many...

Quick Reply