Jun 24, 2019, 11:28 AM
In the Aloft Forum, there are teasers that interesting features of ACCESS have yet to be made public.

But for the great unwashed, it's all guesswork apart from the list of released receiver fw on the FrSky site.

Whether yet to be released receivers will have capabilities beyond upgraded current models is something I've wondered about.

Meanwhile, all my FrSky gear is working great. I'm in no hurry.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerhopp
To be sure, buy only ACCESS ready receivers mentioned here. I do not expect ACCESS firmware for older D16 RX with CC2500.
My understanding is that the list you refer to is a list of receivers for which ACCESS firmware can be downloaded and used right now and is a WIP subject to amendment when firmwares for other receivers have been released. Your comment implies that this is the final list - is this so?

You also write that ACCESS capability will be processor dependant. As prospective users have no way (that I know of) to determine what processor chip is in any of the receivers in the FRSKY X series range it is important to know which have the CC2500 you mention and which have whatever chip is ACCESS capable. Do you have that information to share?

While your information is at odds with that provided from other sources, there will doubtless be those who believe that you are correct and wish to manage their purchase decisions accordingly.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:43 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
My understanding is that the list you refer to is a list of receivers for which ACCESS firmware can be downloaded and used right now and is a WIP subject to amendment when firmwares for other receivers have been released. Your comment implies that this is the final list - is this so?
I can not speak for FrSky. I would not bet my head, that we will see more ACCESS firmwares for existing RX. Even the (early) RX8Rpro used the old chipset, as my rangetests have shown. Eventually FrSky changed the RX8Rpro hardware in the meantime, this would make a lot of sense.
There is nothing wrong with the old hardware, i still use it with enthusiasm. It just can not protect IP. If I want to buy ACCESS ready RX, then I rely on the list or wait for a binding FrSky statement.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:47 AM
Protocols will always be copied. You can never fully protect it, only make it harder to copy. It should not be a reason to not upgrade a receiver. If not all D16 receivers / TX's will be upgraded that the promise of ACCESS fails and it will not be adopted soon. I think the older chipsets just need a bit more time. If not, ACCST just works fine for me
Jun 25, 2019, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
The FrSky ACCESS web page states:

Q: Which receivers will support the ACCESS protocol?
A:The 1st batch of updates includes RX4R, RX6R, G-RX6, and G-RX8.
The 2nd batch will include RXSR, XM, XM Plus, RX8R Pro.

Presently no other receivers are indicated, nor a 3rd batch. When they first released the protocol, they indicated full-backward compatibility with TXs and RXs.. then they are shrinking: older transmitters disappeared from the compatibility list, only few receivers are getting the upgrade.. Honestly, I am not among those who need the new ACCESS features, and I don't really care if my X9D will get the upgrade.
I only wish they will don't dismiss production/support of ACCST D16 hardware.
Jun 25, 2019, 05:30 AM
Given that the web page linked to above does not include all of the receivers in the second batch then I suggest that it is a WIP as I wrote.

We'll all just have to wait and see what FRSKY actually does.

As pressure from users has already been successful (reportedly) in encouraging the extension of D16 support to what were to be ACCESS only transmitters a similar approach may encourage the extension of ACCESS to all legacy D16 equipment. Probably worth a try.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:39 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Sometimes i think, FrSky's hardware and firmware department is not taking the marketing department very serious - or vice versa ....
Jun 25, 2019, 11:22 AM
Unless I can upgrade all of my receivers to access, I won't be upgrading any of them to access. All of my receivers are x series and I'm not interested in replacing perfectly good receivers. So, if frsky doesn't release access firmware for the X8R, x6R, XR4SB, etc receivers, they'll find fewer people will make the move to access.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Jun 25, 2019, 11:39 AM
I think Frsky bit off a little too much too soon with the release of the X-Lite Pro and 9X Lite along with the ACCESS roll out. It seems the two new transmitters weren't ready with software and a bug in the power module (intentional or by mistake). Add to that everybody crying for D16 support from new transmitters, and the problems with that update, and easy to see why Frsky is a little behind schedule with ACCESS firmware for receivers and the R9 system (Frsky did announce the R9 system was getting ACCESS). Throw in all the rumors and misinformation from all the know-it-all Youtubers, and this has turned in to a real mess. I think everybody just needs to slow down, show a little patience, and see when and what Frsky releases. Only then can a knowledgeable decision be made as to upgrading or not, and what it will take to upgrade.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:55 AM
This, of course, is perfectly normal every time FrSky releases anything new. The best thing we all can do is just sit back and wait for FrSky to release the next new thing. All this speculation is fun but not very productive. FrSky will release when they're ready. And if things run true to form, there will probably be something that will need to be changed. I love FrSky radios but have learned not to be an early adopter. Give a new release a little time for all the bugs that the beta testers missed to be discovered and fixed. I'm not knocking FrSky. Any newly released electronics from anyone is liable to have undiscovered bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveopoly
Throw in all the rumors and misinformation from all the know-it-all Youtubers, and this has turned in to a real mess. I think everybody just needs to slow down, show a little patience, and see when and what Frsky releases. .
Jun 25, 2019, 02:28 PM
"rumors and misinformation from all the know-it-all Youtubers"

Almost as entertaining as watching cat videos, and with (very few exceptions) less informative
Jun 26, 2019, 03:15 AM
FrSky-MKT
Thread OP

ACCESS Firmware

ACCESS Firmware for R9 series products New
R9M Lite: https://www.frsky-rc.com/r9m-lite/
R9 MM: https://www.frsky-rc.com/r9-mm/
R9 Mini: https://www.frsky-rc.com/r9-mini/
ACCESS Download Page: https://www.frsky-rc.com/frsky-advan...rmwaredownload
Jun 26, 2019, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaHuang
Great news!

Any ETA for full-size R9M module?

Can't wait to test it
Jun 26, 2019, 04:02 AM
I want to test them, but can R9M Lite as well as the receivers revert to older firmwares? Basically I just want to update one receiver for testing and flash the module forth and back when I use another model.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:39 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
Unless I can upgrade all of my receivers to access, I won't be upgrading any of them to access. All of my receivers are x series and I'm not interested in replacing perfectly good receivers. So, if frsky doesn't release access firmware for the X8R, x6R, XR4SB, etc receivers, they'll find fewer people will make the move to access.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The ACCESS firmware also supports binding D16, so you won't have to replace X series receivers if you move to ACCESS on your transmitter

Quick Reply