V-22 Osprey VTOL BNF Basic (EFL9650)

The E-flite V-22 Osprey is an officially-licensed replica of the amazing VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) capable tiltrotor aircraft, featuring an exclusive flight control system that makes both helicopter/multirotor and airplane flight possible.

Splash

The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey

This multi-role combat aircraft that combines the functionality and vertical performance of a helicopter with the long-range, high-speed forward flight performance of an airplane. The tremendous advantages these capabilities offer is why multiple branches of the US military use it in a variety of roles from equipment and troop transport, to search and rescue, special operations and beyond. The E-flite® V-22 Osprey is an officially licensed replica of the amazing VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) capable tiltrotor aircraft that features an exclusive flight control system that makes it possible to fly in both helicopter/multirotor and airplane flight.

Quick Look: E-flite V-22® Osprey VTOL (1 min 1 sec)

Features

• The scale VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) capable model you've always wanted
  • Officially-licensed replica of the unique and innovative Bell Boeing V-22® Osprey tiltrotor aircraft
  • Combines the vertical functionality of a helicopter with the forward flight performance of an airplane
  • Compact size so it can be flown in more places and smaller spaces, including indoors
  • The exclusive and expertly tuned flight control system makes it all possible
  • Automatic transition between helicopter/multirotor and airplane flight
  • Stability and Acro flight modes deliver a wide range of performance
  • Super-simple transmitter setup- no complex programming required
  • Spektrum™ serial receiver with industry-leading DSMX® technology
  • Powerful brushless motors compatible with 3S 800mAh batteries
  • Factory-installed flight controller, servos and power systems
  • Included decal sheet offers multiple trim scheme options
  • Lightweight and extremely durable EPO airframe
  • Factory-finished and no assembly required
  • FPV-ready (recommended camera and video transmitter sold separately)

Specs

• Aileron: Dual servo control
  • Approximate Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
  • Approximate Flight Time: 4 minutes
  • CG (Center of Gravity): 0.98 - 1.2" (25 - 30mm) from the leading edge of the wing root
  • Charger: 3S LiPo compatible required
  • Completion Level: Bind-N-Fly Basic
  • Flying Weight: 14.75oz (418g)
  • Landing Gear: Wire nose gear and main gear foam wheels
  • Length: 19.2" (487mm)
  • Material: EPO foam
  • Minimum Required Radio: Full range 2.4GHz 6-channel with Spektrum DSMX technology
  • Minimum Speed Control: Two 12A main, one 6A tail
  • Motor Size: Two 2250Kv, one 4000Kv
  • Propeller Size: Two 5x3 three blades for main motors, one 2x1.8 four blades for rear motor
  • Recommended Motor Battery: 3S 800mAh with JST connector required
  • Servos: Two 5g sub-micro analog air servos, three 3.7g sub-micro analog air servos
  • Wing Area: 62 sq in (4 sq dm)
  • Wingspan: 19.2" (487mm)

E-flite V-22® Osprey VTOL Early Access and Overview (5 min 48 sec)

Photos

More Info

Head over to Horizon for more info!

Mar 27, 2019, 10:22 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Why such high kV motors? Why so small props?
Mar 28, 2019, 12:36 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Why such high kV motors? Why so small props?
So it functions nicely as a tricopter. Big scale type props on low KV probably wouldn't function that well in it's tricopter mode.
Mar 28, 2019, 02:21 AM
wov
wov
Why does a tricopter need small props?
Mar 28, 2019, 09:03 AM
Lurking......
Looks really slick, can't wait to see the reviews!
Mar 29, 2019, 07:00 PM
TAFTS
I'm gonna have to file criminal charges against Horizon. They just keep taking money out of my pocket.

Edit: My wife says SHE needs to file the charges since its HER money...

Mar 30, 2019, 10:45 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6
So it functions nicely as a tricopter. Big scale type props on low KV probably wouldn't function that well in it's tricopter mode.

Works rather well on the long range quads -- they use 7, 8 and sometimes 9 inch props with low kV motors.

high kV motors just eat battery.
Mar 30, 2019, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wov
The choice of rotor size is a design trade with lots of different considerations, but mostly cost. It's a small light weight model, so it doesn't need a lot of thrust to hover. Larger rotors would increase the disk area, reduce the disk loading, and reduce the power required to hover, but would require bigger motors to deliver the higher torque, or gear reduction, so it is just easier and cheaper to keep them small. Also smaller motors-rotors have less mass out at the wing tips which makes it more friendly to fly in forward flight mode. Models of the V22 often have a lot of roll inertia which means they roll slowly, and don't stop rolling immediately when the stick is neutralized, so they have a sloppy, and laggy feel about aileron control. This one, with its small light weight motors and rotors is not half bad.

Some may object to the design because the rotors are grossly smaller than scale, but making the rotors the true scale size would greatly increase the cost and complexity of the model. In the air, the size of the rotors is mostly invisible so it looks great.

I was with a friend who flew one today. Mostly due to the way the flight controller works, my friend proclaimed it the best of the commercially available VTOL's so far. It transitions much more quickly than either the large or small Convergence, so it doesn't freeze you out of control for as long. In agility mode it flies like a sport plane with minimal compromises, and can do basic aerobatics like rolls and loops. In hover mode it has a good range of forward airspeed just by applying down elevator, so he doesn't miss the lack of an intermediate or slow forward flight mode much. Bottom line, it's a nice, fun, cute, little model. Enjoy it for what it is.

The one concern is that we don't know how long the wing tilt servos will last when the motor nacelles get bounced of the ground in less than perfect landings.
Mar 30, 2019, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd
I'm gonna have to file criminal charges against Horizon. They just keep taking money out of my pocket.

Edit: My wife says SHE needs to file the charges since its HER money...

If you file a class action, count me in. I thought for sure the mini-convergence would be the last time they got money from me for a while.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:40 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wov
You have seen the scale rotors on a V-22?

I think what they have chosen is a good compromise for forward flight mode and vertical performance.
Apr 01, 2019, 10:36 PM
I got mine yesterday, and put a couple of flights on it, all went well. My first flight of anything with the Convergence platform, I was impressed on how well the flight controller handled hover, winged flight and the transition to and from. If Andy from horizon is watching this thread, the only thing that keeps me from complete Joy with the Osprey is, I wish that horizon would have put some pictures, or better yet a diagram of the decal placement for the different branches of the armed forces. I bought this in part because our club has a yearly war bird fly in, and would like to have the Osprey decorated with authentic markings. Otherwise, great job on this plane. Back to researching Osprey pictures on the internet.

Bob
Apr 02, 2019, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdinger1
I got mine yesterday, and put a couple of flights on it, all went well. My first flight of anything with the Convergence platform, I was impressed on how well the flight controller handled hover, winged flight and the transition to and from. If Andy from horizon is watching this thread, the only thing that keeps me from complete Joy with the Osprey is, I wish that horizon would have put some pictures, or better yet a diagram of the decal placement for the different branches of the armed forces. I bought this in part because our club has a yearly war bird fly in, and would like to have the Osprey decorated with authentic markings. Otherwise, great job on this plane. Back to researching Osprey pictures on the internet.

Bob
Happy to hear about a successful flight with transitions!!!!

Can you give me some details on where you got yours, as well as maybe some pictures of the FC and inside the belly? Mine crashed on her maiden, and second flight in the middle of right hand banked turn (In stability mode) decided to suddenly bank left and nose dive with no response from me trying to get her back in control.

And several others here on the groups, and even all four in another your tube video (RCDiscovery) had all four of them do the same thing.
Apr 02, 2019, 07:00 PM
E-flite V-22 Osprey VTOL First Flight March 30th, 2019 (3 min 35 sec)
Apr 02, 2019, 08:08 PM
mdv
mdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane
And several others here on the groups, and even all four in another your tube video (RCDiscovery) had all four of them do the same thing.
Can you give a link to these reports?
Apr 02, 2019, 09:13 PM
V-22 Osprey Squadron | The Weekly Jet Returns! (25 min 59 sec)

Quick Reply