May 23, 2019, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
You should try slope soaring without the motor pod.I bet it would move really well
So I do. I expect to make some test with mine, most probably it will perform as well in thermal. Some long distance cross country or even endurance flight. I can take advance from a TSA on my flying field.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 06:20 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Hinging 3D printed control surfaces (16 min 10 sec)
May 25, 2019, 08:25 AM
DDC Rules!
hi guys, any video or tuto on how you glue those 3d printed parts ?? or what's the recommended technique...

thx
May 25, 2019, 10:23 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniSaez
hi guys, any video or tuto on how you glue those 3d printed parts ?? or what's the recommended technique...

thx
I've had success just using medium CA and kicker. then i go back along the joint with thin CA. I don't think it needs it (but it can't hurt) I used transparent gorilla tape and taped the joints.

Ricky
May 25, 2019, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniSaez
I take my time to do it, but I think it worths.

First I apply medium CA on the inner structure, not in the external perimeter. If you put very little CA the bond is almost instantaneous. So I trend to put a generous quantity, that way I have some seconds to properly align the sections. Wait for a moment and you have both sections initially bonded.

Then I put a very thin and flexible tip on the CA bottle (see attached image) to put a tiny amount all along the join. Wipe longitudinally any excess with a tissue and apply kicker.

That's how I proceed to avoid misalignments and a lot of nasty sticky fingerprints all over the plane. See below the result.
May 26, 2019, 03:56 PM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Eclipson Blackwing Maiden Flight (0 min 36 sec)
May 29, 2019, 05:22 PM
DDC Rules!
Man!! stop posting those videos please!!! It's not fair to the ones we still don't have the BlackWing!! ;-)

just kidding,! She did look great on the ground, but it does look really awesome in the air!! and flyes beautifully!

Congratulations!
Jun 07, 2019, 01:40 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP

Some details

Folding propeller, VTX holder and flight controller holder, of course all 3d printed
Last edited by 3pa; Jun 07, 2019 at 01:49 AM.
Jun 07, 2019, 02:44 AM
awesome!
Jun 07, 2019, 04:41 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I've finally had an afternoon that I could dedicate to getting the electronics installed. I'm not finished yet, but hopefully will be by this weekend. I had to flip the motor mount in TinkerCad so that the motor wires would exit on the bottom of the mount.

I'm attaching my wiring diagram that I'm using to put everything together.

Ricky

**Edit** I had to adjust my wiring diagram to keep my OSD from flickering and ESC interference. I ended up having to ground my vTx & Camera to the FC.
Last edited by rickgode; Jun 09, 2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Update Wiring Diagram
Jun 07, 2019, 07:09 PM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
I had to flip the motor mount in TinkerCad so that the motor wires would exit on the bottom of the mount

Ricky
Yes we have realised about that improvement too, for V3 motor mount holes will be rotated so that the wires will exit on the bottom as you did.
Jun 08, 2019, 01:08 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
So I "just" about have it ready to maiden... It's too heavy for my more accurate scale, so I had to use my "fishing" one to weigh it. RTF weight is about 1.2kg. I have a 5000mAh 3S battery and it seems to balance between the marks with it pushed to the front.

The is a big battery and it does fit, but I have to wiggle it around to get it in the opening. Also because of how I have to insert the battery into the compartment a strip of velcro at the bottom will be out of the question. So I'm thinking of having a velcro strip behind the battery so it will wedge in there better. Not the best solution, but I don't plan on doing any aggressive maneuvers with this wing.

I'm running inav 2.1 and everything looks good on the computer... So hopefully this evening or tomorrow I'll maiden it.

I may look into the folding prop... I'm worried that the one I have on there now might break off during landing.

Ricky
Jun 08, 2019, 05:30 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Hurray! The maiden was a success! Sort of... Winds were light and the temperature was 95 degrees.

I've always added reflex to my elevons in wings... I'm guessing this one doesn't need them because I ran out of down trim to get it to fly level. It still flew fantastic and glided very well when I landed it.

Looking at my FPV stuff, I'm thinking I didn't ground my vTx/Cam/OSD correctly. I think that's why it was flickering.

I would have flown it a 2nd time this afternoon, but my motor was loose. I'm wondering if I forgot to tighten everything down during the build...

UAV EBW-160 Maiden (4 min 7 sec)

Ricky
Jun 09, 2019, 03:22 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Flight #2 is in the books! I used just about all of the down trim on my Transmitter again, but it still flew FANTASTIC. I fixed the OSD flicker by moving a ground wire, but now I introduced some heavy interference. I think I'll change up some ground wires again.

On another note, I think the 10x3.8 prop is too much for my knock off motor. It's getting so hot that it's melting my PLA motor mount. I think I'm either going to find some wood washers and use those as stand offs or find a piece of light plywood to put between the motor and the PLA motor mount. I will probably switch out the prop for an APC 8x6 one.

More good news! Hand launches with seem really really easy. I'm standing on a hill just in case I don't throw it hard enough and it looses altitude. So far this hasn't been the case. The winds aloft really picked up while I was in the air and as soon as I landed they gusted to well over 40mph.

I changed to some other flight modes, but with my trims being off and it getting difficult to see I opted to not risk it.

UAV EUB 160 2nd Flight (10 min 24 sec)

Ricky
Jun 09, 2019, 08:42 PM
Nice flight!!

I can't wait for this amazing design to be released!!!

Quick Reply