Thread Tools
May 12, 2019, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Breitlingwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
On the 2212 motors I usually run 8x6 props. You guys think a 10 x 4 would do the trick?
I think so. I've configured some different folding props with MotoCalc workbench and a 10x4 is the best, drawing about 16 amps at full throttle. 9x5 should work as well, with better shaft efficiency but lower thrust.

Nice one on clear PLA showing all the peculiar Eclipson inner work. Here is mine waiting for the electronics to be mounted in.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 06:34 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
rickgode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitlingwings
I think so. I've configured some different folding props with MotoCalc workbench and a 10x4 is the best, drawing about 16 amps at full throttle. 9x5 should work as well, with better shaft efficiency but lower thrust.

Nice one on clear PLA showing all the peculiar Eclipson inner work. Here is mine waiting for the electronics to be mounted in.
While I'm waiting on all my electronics to get here, I ordered this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUGCT22..._PZk2CbYVNA4RA

It's Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape! I used it on all the seams and along the leading edge. It really, REALLY, stiffened everything up! I don't feel like I'm handling a 1.6 meter egg shell!

Ricky
May 13, 2019, 03:40 AM
3pa
3pa
Registered User
3pa's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
On the 2212 motors I usually run 8x6 props. You guys think a 10 x 4 would do the trick?

Ricky
It will be fine, in fact we provide a 3D printed folding prop 10X4,8 (to be printed with 100% infill) this prop should give you plenty of thrust at low speed, ideal to hand launch the model.
May 14, 2019, 12:50 AM
wov
wov
Registered User
wov's Avatar
My Blackwing is printed and glued. Next are the electronics. I have to say this is a beautiful wing. If it flies only half as good as it looks, this must be a winner. Here are some pictures of the parts I printed on a Prusa i3 Mk2/3
May 14, 2019, 12:22 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wov
My Blackwing is printed and glued. Next are the electronics. I have to say this is a beautiful wing. If it flies only half as good as it looks, this must be a winner. Here are some pictures of the parts I printed on a Prusa i3 Mk2/3
All PLA I presume? Would you share your thin-walled profile with me? I have a Mk3s I'm assembling now so have yet to try and develop a think-walled pla profile for it but it appears you have one working quite well. That is, as long as it's a Cura or Slic3r profile as I don't currently own simplify.
May 14, 2019, 12:41 PM
wov
wov
Registered User
wov's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
All PLA I presume? Would you share your thin-walled profile with me? I have a Mk3s I'm assembling now so have yet to try and develop a think-walled pla profile for it but it appears you have one working quite well. That is, as long as it's a Cura or Slic3r profile as I don't currently own simplify.
Yes, I printed this one in PLA, Geetech to be exact. I can share my profile, no problem, but I am only using Simplify3D. Here are some screenshots of my settings, I am sure you can use the most important parameters for any other slicer.
May 14, 2019, 07:46 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wov
Yes, I printed this one in PLA, Geetech to be exact. I can share my profile, no problem, but I am only using Simplify3D. Here are some screenshots of my settings, I am sure you can use the most important parameters for any other slicer.
That should work. Thanks very much.
May 15, 2019, 12:15 PM
Registered User
Breitlingwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
So I'm making some "prototype" 5 hole servo holders. I didn't like the angle of the control horn in relation to the servo horn.
I had the same thoughts at the beginning but now I see it is not necessary. The control horn hole is parallel to the hole in the servo horn, so movement is smooth.

Servos en Eclipson Airplanes EBW-160 (1 min 11 sec)
May 15, 2019, 03:52 PM
wov
wov
Registered User
wov's Avatar
you usually want the control linkage perpendicular to the hinge line. This is exactly what you get with the provided servo holder. The angle of the control horn itself does not have to be at the same angle of the linkage. It is angled for easier printing and maybe even for a better airflow.
May 16, 2019, 06:34 AM
3pa
3pa
Registered User
3pa's Avatar
Thread OP
We wanted to have the elevon horn in line with the airflow to reduce drag. It was also important for us to reuse the standard part "servo holder" same part can be used in both sides of the wing, also in other Eclipson airplanes.
May 16, 2019, 08:31 AM
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pa
We wanted to have the elevon horn in line with the airflow to reduce drag. It was also important for us to reuse the standard part "servo holder" same part can be used in both sides of the wing, also in other Eclipson airplanes.
Then why not have the horn in the same alignment?Seems to me it will create drag where it is now.
May 16, 2019, 08:59 AM
3pa
3pa
Registered User
3pa's Avatar
Thread OP
That was the first idea, but we realized that this solution was not optimal because rotating the servo holder require much more space along the chord direction (perpendicular to the leading edge), the curvature of the airfoil started to be very big , that is a problem because servo holder should be flat in order to be 3d printed properly.
Anyway, the drag created by the servo horn rotation is minimal compare with the drag created by the not in line cut out of any movable surface like elevons.
Last edited by 3pa; May 16, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
May 16, 2019, 09:01 AM
wov
wov
Registered User
wov's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
Then why not have the horn in the same alignment?Seems to me it will create drag where it is now.
no, the control horn is perfectly in line with the airflow. the linkage and servo horn are perpendicular to the hinge line. (arrow on picture is pointing forward)
May 16, 2019, 04:11 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
rickgode's Avatar
Looking at it some more, I think it will be fine, I didn't notice that the hole in the elevon control horn has the 20 degree or so angle to make it in line with the servo control horn.

Ricky


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Building a BlackWing 3D boomerace Parkflyers 87 Jul 11, 2011 02:39 AM
Cool BlackWing Maiden! boomerace Parkflyers 13 Oct 02, 2007 11:37 PM
Discussion RCSP Blackwing build log (by an amateur) bennymack Foamies (Kits) 5 Oct 02, 2007 08:30 PM