Apr 15, 2019, 08:53 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
PETG waprs more than PLA. I am totally against PLA for printing RC planes because they melt in the sun. I have tried PETG but it is not a great alternative.
It is way too wobbly for most designs. They fly but they don't fly well.

99% of rc planes are printed in PLA for a good reason. It is easy to print, cheap, very strong and easy to glue. No other filament compares.

I got my first plane printed in nylon + carbon and it is even stiffer and stable until 150 degrees celsius.

Nylon + Carbon CF15: hard to print, hard to glue - this would be a real winner because it is the lightes filament of them all. If only one could glue it better.
What results did you get with epoxy based adhesive?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2019, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
What results did you get with epoxy based adhesive?
I have not tried yet. I will give it a go with a 5 minute epoxy and report back.
Apr 15, 2019, 02:19 PM
Prototypes are prototypes and can be printed with anything you want to. Ingeo resin PLA is for me the best one by now for this purpose.

Anyway.... please don't steal the thread with another material discussion, there are so many other threads to talk about it. Let's focus on this new Eclipson model: construction, design, flight tests, etc.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:33 AM
I know PLA is not perfect but just with a little care you can extend the life of your planes... I think the material debate is for another threat and a little unjustified.
About the plane... incredibly beauty and full of detail, what a great job Eclipson guys!!! And tester too. I hope to see videos of this beauty in the air soon
Apr 23, 2019, 02:36 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP

Maiden flight

Maiden flight - 3d printed UAV -The blackwing (0 min 56 sec)
Apr 23, 2019, 02:37 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Great job by the tester Jorge pi from mexico DC, he already posted some pics of their 2 prototypes here.
Apr 23, 2019, 03:28 AM
Nice !!! Seems to be a stable slow flight. Waiting for electronics (lost in the ether?) for my maiden.
Apr 24, 2019, 05:38 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP

Amazing quality

Amazing quality achieved by James Presnell from RC air adventures, he is using glass filled PLA and carbon filled PLA from proto pasta.

Check out his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ksmason42/videos
Apr 26, 2019, 07:31 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP

More info

We have updated our website with more information about this project:
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/ebw-160
Apr 29, 2019, 01:00 AM
I did watch the James Pressnell clip on You Tube.

He printed the PLA glass with a temp of 250C
These are the specs of the glass filament:https://eu.3dfuel.com/products/glass-filled-pla

The glass PLA is Sold out at this moment......I have to wait for a little while.
I also have to wait for the STL files of the flying wing......(ha ha ha)

One question:
Did you ever think about placing webbing all over the flying wing?

Greetings:Robin
May 01, 2019, 02:59 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
This model really interests me but I have one question and one request

Will it only be launched by bungee or doe sit have enough power to launch with a good hard throw in to the air?

With regard to the build sizes please consider making the files available for printers with 300 x 300 x 300mm build volumes. I realise there are many CR-10 type printers with 400Z but there are also many other 300mm3 printers too.
May 05, 2019, 04:13 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I maybe late to the party, but what are Wings 1_C & Wings2_C supposed to be printed at? C or A category?

Ricky

Edit, I'm a dummy... C stands for Center! not Category C... I thought that Wing1_C was a bit heavy...
Last edited by rickgode; May 05, 2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy
May 05, 2019, 04:58 PM
Both central wing sections are printed with A category: no top nor bottom layers, no infill, 1 perimeter.
May 06, 2019, 06:38 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Redbrickman
The power to weight ratio with the recommended motor/prop combination will be close to 1:1. Enough to hand launch the model. Some testers have already hand launch the wing without any problem.
We will provide a keel with 3 function:
-Hook.
-Handle
-Skid.
The keel is detachable (screwed) so you can replace it if damaged, something usual if you land over asphalt or gravel.

Thanks for your proposal.
The design of the whole plane is conditioned by the building volumes and is not so easy to modify that now, for instance, the span (1600mm) was chosen because is a multiplier of the Z height (400mm).

We highly recommend people interested in building big 3D printed planes ( span bigger than than 1,3m) to get big 3D printers similar to CR-10, Although you can find right now on the market really big airplanes made out of small parts, this is a wrong approach from our point of view. The reason is that the more parts you have to assemble the more assembly tolerances you are adding, the result is that there is a big deviation between the theoretical airplane surface and the actual one.
May 12, 2019, 10:27 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I'm making good progress. I have just about everything printed out so I mocked everything up with tape to take a "finished" pic. It's much bigger than I thought, and I think that will make it fly nicely.

On the 2212 motors I usually run 8x6 props. You guys think a 10 x 4 would do the trick?

Ricky

Quick Reply