Apr 05, 2019, 06:07 AM
That's a beautiful looking plane, i'm jealous of all you testers.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2019, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR
Is this design based on the Prandtl-D? It looks very similar and I'd be disappointed if no attribution or acknowledgement was made given the mould-line model is so freely available.
Other than being a flying wing, this one resembles very little the Prandtl-D. Maybe they both share the bell-shaped lift distribution concept, but they are completely different airframes.
Apr 05, 2019, 12:59 PM
Some more pics of the first EBW-160 prototype. Printing time is near the end, my Black Wing will be white as you see. Some grey details at the top side (cabin door, servo holders), I hope this will help with orientation in flight. Not sure if I'll print elevons in grey as well.

Motor fairing, motor holder and folding prop hub are printed in white PETG for bigger thermal and mechanical stability.

No doubt this thing is a beauty.
Last edited by Breitlingwings; Apr 05, 2019 at 01:27 PM.
Apr 05, 2019, 04:27 PM
Silent but deadly

So far

Here are my parts so far. Only the Front and aft center sections. Currently printing the next left wing part.

Edit: Obviously, I need to change cameras and lighting.
Apr 07, 2019, 07:10 PM
Silent but deadly
slowly moving along...
Apr 09, 2019, 10:33 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP

Schemes

Some rendering with the 2 different schemes we will use for this model.
Apr 09, 2019, 10:47 AM
Hello,

I already finished two wings and expect to test them next weekend. For the first fly I'm planning to use a FrSky receiver with level and stabilization features such as the S6R.
Apr 09, 2019, 12:20 PM
thats a gorgeous looking wing
Apr 09, 2019, 08:15 PM
Any thoughts on when these plans are going public??
Apr 10, 2019, 03:52 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Difficult to say.
We prefer to offer quality over quantity, and quality takes time: time to design, testing, redesign... and so on until we are fully satisfied with the product in all aspect (aerodynamic, assembly process, strength to weight ratio, functionality...)
Next week the prototype version 2 will be ready for testing, hopefully V3 will be the last version and will be ready to sell.
Apr 11, 2019, 08:36 PM
Silent but deadly
Sorry for my slow process. I'm printing the motor fairing and mount parts now. I will try to get pictures of progress tomorrow. Work is busy at the moment.
Apr 14, 2019, 03:13 PM

jlcortex

Hi all, I just discover this thread and WOW, it is really great design!
I am working in similar design, If I had seen it before, I would have preferred to help you instead start my own.
Apr 14, 2019, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pa
We will use PLA for the prototypes, but of course to can use other materials.
I suggest trying PETG, even for prototypes. I have printed dozens of small planes, roundabouts 300 mm. Compared to PLA, the price is similar, it warps less (big bonus for wings imho), and is not brittle (good for crashes as well as for screws).
Apr 15, 2019, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorleor
I suggest trying PETG, even for prototypes. I have printed dozens of small planes, roundabouts 300 mm. Compared to PLA, the price is similar, it warps less (big bonus for wings imho), and is not brittle (good for crashes as well as for screws).
PETG waprs more than PLA. I am totally against PLA for printing RC planes because they melt in the sun. I have tried PETG but it is not a great alternative.
It is way too wobbly for most designs. They fly but they don't fly well.

99% of rc planes are printed in PLA for a good reason. It is easy to print, cheap, very strong and easy to glue. No other filament compares.

I got my first plane printed in nylon + carbon and it is even stiffer and stable until 150 degrees celsius.

BUT: You need to print it with an all metal hotend at 270 degrees celsius. The filament does not want to stick to the buildplate. It costs an arma and a leg and it is very hard to glue. It works for designs like the nucking futs but not so much for a 3dlabprint plane (small connecting surfaces to glue).

Filaments I have tried:
PLA: melts - shatters opn impact
HTPLA: no better than PLA unless annealed. Singlewall prints cannot be annealed though - waste of money
PETG: wobbly
ABS: hard to print without warping - stinks - glueing with acetone stinks even more.
Greentec Pro: heavy, shatters easily
Nylon + Carbon CF15: hard to print, hard to glue - this would be a real winner because it is the lightes filament of them all. If only one could glue it better.
Apr 15, 2019, 08:08 AM
Retired CAD guy
I must agree with Thoemse:

Without a good material choice, we are just Kicking the Can down the road !

See this please

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=29

Quick Reply