Jul 15, 2019, 11:31 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Found the printing table, sorry, I don't know how I missed.
Last edited by Adilson; Jul 15, 2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Found the missing information
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 04:30 PM

Is retraction an issue?

Hello

In the profiles, it's recommend 0.5 to 3 mm retraction. I'm doing some tests and I had a much better results with my normal 5-6mm (I have an Ender 3). I know it's not a critical parameter but I was wondering if there is any other side effect I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance
Jul 15, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adilson
Hello

In the profiles, it's recommend 0.5 to 3 mm retraction. I'm doing some tests and I had a much better results with my normal 5-6mm (I have an Ender 3). I know it's not a critical parameter but I was wondering if there is any other side effect I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance
Too much can exacerbate air bubbles in the outer skin. It can also leave holes at the layer start points if your printer has trouble accurately resetting the filament after retraction. If you don't see those problems don't worry about it. A Bowden printer can need a lot more than direct drive extruders
Jul 15, 2019, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Too much can exacerbate air bubbles in the outer skin. It can also leave holes at the layer start points if your printer has trouble accurately resetting the filament after retraction. If you don't see those problems don't worry about it. A Bowden printer can need a lot more than direct drive extruders
AH, I see. I haven't found any such problems so I guess I'm good.
Thanks.
Jul 20, 2019, 07:14 PM
It flies? I like it!
Anyone have recommended throws for the Blackwing?
Jul 22, 2019, 09:16 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
+- 15 mm
Jul 22, 2019, 03:53 PM
It flies? I like it!
Thanks!
Jul 23, 2019, 02:41 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
You are welcome, we will update our drawing with this info
Jul 23, 2019, 02:54 PM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Thanks again to all the testers, here a compilation video.
EBW-160 3D printed FPV wing - testing phase compilation (0 min 59 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 07:01 AM
Successful maiden flight. I almost lost it to a hard to catch tumble because the COG was too far back. Mine definatly needs a COG in front of the markings. I needed a lot of downtrim too. The second flight with COG further forward was very nice though.

The Greentec Pro Carbon is great. No cracks on landing and it did not get soft either. It has 35 deg Celsius and the plane is in my black car all day!

Thanks to eclipson for a well designed plane. It's well worth they money.
Last edited by Thoemse; Jul 24, 2019 at 07:16 AM.
Jul 24, 2019, 07:03 AM
Double post.
Last edited by Thoemse; Jul 24, 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:25 AM
wov
wov
Congratulations on your succesfull maiden flight. The fact that you had to move the COG forward of the front markings is a bit strange. The downtrim is the next suspicious piece of information. This should not be necessary on the Blackwing. Mine flew perfectly straight with the elevons in neutral position and the COG right between the two markings.

Can you please post a picture of your Blackwing looking at it from the side? In your picture it looks warped but but this could be an optical illusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Successful maiden flight. I almost lost it to a hard to catch tumble because the COG was too far back. Mine definatly needs a COG in front of the markings. I needed a lot of downtrim too. The second flight with COG further forward was very nice though.

The Greentec Pro Carbon is great. No cracks on landing and it did not get soft either. It has 35 deg Celsius and the plane is in my black car all day!

Thanks to eclipson for a well designed plane. It's well worth they money.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:50 AM
It ain't warped but I have the outer two wing parts not perfectly aligned. I had this happen on one side and thanks to CA there was nothing I could do so I made sure it is at least symmetrical. It is probably what is causing this and I forgot abaout it until now since It took me a while from completion to maiden flight. This does change the airfoil a tiny bit and probably leads to the behavior I get.

It still flies perfectly fine now though.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:55 AM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Successful maiden flight.
Congratulation on the maiden flight and other. Will you be building more of your planes with the Greentec Pro Carbon? I have purchased a roll but have not upgraded my printer yet.
Jul 24, 2019, 12:43 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I had to add a bunch of down "reflex" in mine too, but my PLA could have warped or my gluing was bad. But it flies fine. I left it in my tent at FliteFest Ohio and it was fine except for one wingtip that was up against the edge of the tent. It warped pretty good. I should be able to straighten it out though.

Hundreds of people got a chance to check out the Blackwing at FliteFest. I didn't get a chance to fly it as I think the landing conditions might have been a bit too rough for it.

Ricky

Quick Reply