Mar 21, 2019, 09:46 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Discussion

UAV EBW-160 “The blackwing”

Eclipson EBW-160 also known as "the blackwing" is a state of the art 3D printed UAV. The latest technologies have been used to achieve a unique aircraft with spectacular performances. 3D printing design freedom allowed us to design a vehicle very aerodynamic and lightweight, for instance, structure weight is only 500 gr for a wingspan of 1,6 meters and wing surface of 29 dm2. The aircraft have been designed to carry HD/FPV camera, flight controller, GPS, antennas... all this will give you the option to flight first person view with your goggles or even full autonomous flight with the help of your computer or smartphone... but from our point of view, the most incredible of all is that anyone can build and fly this spectacular aircraft at home for a ridiculous price.

3D printed UAV - Eclipson EBW-160 concept presentation (0 min 59 sec)

Maiden flight - 3d printed UAV -The blackwing (0 min 56 sec)
Last edited by 3pa; May 14, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2019, 04:11 AM

Great design!

Nice design! I think that is very interesting the use of flight controller, fpv camera etc.. I don´t have experience with fix wing drones like this one but I think that if everything is well explained I will try to get into the drones world with this project.

Waiting to see more!
Mar 22, 2019, 11:10 AM
will it be printed with PLA???
Mar 22, 2019, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMARILLO1978
will it be printed with PLA???
Yes and it will be made to go to 3000 meters and melt in the sun. They will call it Icarus.
Mar 23, 2019, 01:48 PM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
We will use PLA for the prototypes, but of course to can use other materials.
Apr 01, 2019, 03:28 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Thanks to all the interested persons, we already have enough testers for this project.
Apr 01, 2019, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pa
Thanks to all the interested persons, we already have enough testers for this project.
Post up pics of your first prints. Would be cool to see how well it prints. Has a nice look for sure. Not really my thing (wings) but for a UAV makes a ton of sense. Still, I love any kind of design so want to see anything you got.
Apr 01, 2019, 04:51 PM
I'm one of the selected testers, so first of all I want to thank Eclipson Airplanes for their confidence in me.

I have half the printing work already done, still three wing sections to go. Using PLA Ingeo 350, although motor holder and probably prop hub will be printed in PETG. Design is clean and simple, great airfoil thickness at center section with a pronounced and increasing washout to the tips. It has no vertical surfaces, not even a wingtip or any small fin.

Some pics for you:
Apr 02, 2019, 06:02 AM
3pa
3pa
Thread OP
Thanks for sharing your pictures Luis, and congrats for the quality you are achieving, it is really good.

This is just the first version of the prototype, our main objective is to analyze its flight characteristic.
The final version will have more datails like: alignment tabs typical from Eclipson´s designs, holes for camera and antennas, necessary holders, door with hinges and innovative locking system etc.
Apr 02, 2019, 12:25 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I printed an flew this model:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Klingberg-Wing

I flew it as a glider on the slope in 30mph winds. It was a good flyer, but I did notice some things that might help testers of this design.

The vertical stabilization of the wing is provided by the washout at the wingtips, so its a design that likes to fly above a certain speed. When flying remember to keep your speed up, it is not a floater.

It looks really cool w/o winglets etc., but what led to the demise of my wing was losing orientation. Doing mine over again, I would have just added a temporary vertical fin to help me know which way it was going. When you have it flying well, and on FPV, then remove that fin and it becomes super stealthy .

Its a super cool design, I'm excited to see some finished models.

-Heath
Apr 04, 2019, 07:49 PM
Silent but deadly
Good evening all. I'm printing this also. I have had a bit of a rough week so, I'm slow getting started. I will have pictures coming as I get to it. I have one printer, so I will be making parts slowly. I'm working with black PLA since it is the Blackwing.
Apr 05, 2019, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH_Jim
Good evening all. I'm printing this also. I have had a bit of a rough week so, I'm slow getting started. I will have pictures coming as I get to it. I have one printer, so I will be making parts slowly. I'm working with black PLA since it is the Blackwing.
Black PLA will loose its shape even during flight. You just don't print black planes unlkess you live somewhere very cold or you pick some different filament. I just printed a black Nucking Futs but I used nylon + carbon filament.
Apr 05, 2019, 01:39 AM
Is this design based on the Prandtl-D? It looks very similar and I'd be disappointed if no attribution or acknowledgement was made given the mould-line model is so freely available.
Apr 05, 2019, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR
Is this design based on the Prandtl-D? It looks very similar and I'd be disappointed if no attribution or acknowledgement was made given the mould-line model is so freely available.
The Prantdl-D looks quite different. The first with the Idea was Friedrich Ahlborn while Ignaz Etrich even patented it in the year 1903 (source Wikipedia).
Unless the blackwing uses the very same internal structure I don't see why they would need to ask anyone to build a flying wing. There is only so many ways a flying wing can look.
To me it resembles a Horten wing.
Apr 05, 2019, 05:56 AM
Silent but deadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Black PLA will loose its shape even during flight. You just don't print black planes unlkess you live somewhere very cold or you pick some different filament. I just printed a black Nucking Futs but I used nylon + carbon filament.
Thanks for the input. I have printed other things in black with little or no issue. This is a testing project, so I'm testing my printer, my printing calibration skills, assembly skills, His model design. And on the first one, maybe a flight or two, maybe not. Next one will be a different color and material and maybe even scaled up a bit.

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware of what others have said, but so far I haven't had terrible effects on black unless it gets left in the sun for bit. My first print may or may not ever make it to the field. If it does, my name will likely come to life.

Quick Reply