This thread is privately moderated by Spaaro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 21, 2019, 05:41 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

FX-706 Sloper Mods: Safety Pin Hinged Rudder, & Shaping up the Stab

Part of this project I was looking forward to: using safety pins for hinging. Connected up the rudder post...turned out FANTASTIC!

Having that little bit of metal in there seems more like real, hinged control surfaces than CyA-soaked plastic ones.
They went together in one session/sitting; I don't think it is too much more effort than pre-made hinges either, at least as far as alignment/gapping.

Stabilizer progress:
Its not based on any particular airfoil beyond 'TLAR'--a slab with a modest amount of symmetry, eg: flattened lenticular shape. I had skipped a step that would have imparted more convex curve to the slotted undersurface(..moisture + heat molding..); still possible but a bit tougher this far along in its build. Probably unnecessary.

With 20/20 hindsight, I could have designed a better 'stab-vertical' "T"-interface or mount, likely without the potentially weak, chord-wide slot. At this point, a CF-tow patch & leading edge sheeting should solve it.

I'm not 'seeking' any hobby grade balsa or ply veneer; I've got bamboo flat strips from a thrift store dinner mat: edge-sanded into planks and joined to form sheets. About 20+ minutes of judicious sanding gave me 2, thinned sheets perfect for the task; they will be sanded much thinner once mounted in place.

Spliced them together on a bias to match the mild forward sweep; hoping this crossing of the bamboo's long grain will also improve torsional stiffness.

Aiming to mount later today--we'll see!
Last edited by Spaaro; Mar 22, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply