Mar 20, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Twerk - Twin Fun plane

Just playing with an idea right now. I might not finish it yet but I think it would be a crazy plane with individual motor throttle. I call it Twerk.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2019, 03:19 PM
I'd be interested if can be scaled small enough. I've got a 120 mini quad that caught on fire ruining the main board. Don't feel like fixing it as got other mini-quads so thought a twin with 3" props would be one use for the motors/escs.
Mar 21, 2019, 07:07 AM
wov
wov
I think this could be a very entertaining little plane. And you could make it VTOL!
Mar 22, 2019, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Yes is could be VTOL by extending the bottom of th evertical fins.

I'm finished with the initial design now and am printing the first parts. The structure's super complicated inside the center wing section because of the interaction between the nacelles/Vstabs and the middle wing/hstab. Hope it prints well. I have made mounting holes for a lot of different outrunner standards. The screws are accessible by removing the outer wing sections. A latched hatch on the nose accesses the battery, and should be strong enough to hold the battery in place.

One servo per control surface is a bit heavy, but it's the easiest way. The rudder servos might not really be needed though if thrust control is used.

The props have cooling fans, and the shrouds around the motors spin with the props. The air then goes into the nacelles, and travel inwards to the center section, cooling the ESCs on the way, and then out the rear of the center section.

Curious how it flies. This one could be a complete disaster. such a short setup might need a more forward CG.
Mar 22, 2019, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
The bottom.
Mar 22, 2019, 05:02 PM
Why don't you make longer nose and shorter tail booms?
Mar 22, 2019, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
What's the reason for that?
Mar 22, 2019, 10:16 PM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Love it, but that’s an awful lot of plastic behind the CG isn’t it?
Mar 23, 2019, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
What's the reason for that?
Like Gnat666 indicated you will have trouble with proper CG setting with short nose and big plastic but7.
Mar 23, 2019, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
I considered that when I designed it, and expect it to balance. I won't change unless it's a problem after the test print. There's going to be a 110+ g battery and two 30+ g motors in front of the leading edge. The distance from CG to trailing edge is 285 mm, while the distance from the CG to the nose tip is 205 mm. Motors are 65 mm in front of the CG and battery 120 mm in front of CG.
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 23, 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Mar 23, 2019, 09:05 PM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
... I designed it, and expect it to balance. ....
Definitely not questioning you if you covered that sorry just it “looked” tail heavy.
Mar 24, 2019, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
I could be wrong, but I don't want to make any big changes until I have seen how it balances in real life. It's very easy to extend the nose.
Mar 24, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
The fuselage weighs 53 g. The wing center section is printing in the background, but I think I will make a new edition with separate pieces as it's a pain to print this huge piece in this iroentation because the channels for wires and spar end up going horizontally, and cause issues, and need extra unnecessary material added to aid printing the internal bridges.
Mar 25, 2019, 11:02 AM
wov
wov
The CG might have to be a little further forward than your prediction, but of course this also depends on the airfoil you are using. I made a quick check with an online calculator and some rough dimensions from the top view you posted earlier. On Facebook you posted the wingspan of 720 mm, that means you are going for a slightly bigger model than the Wonder XXS from Höllein, which was very popular for many years, but seems to be out of production by now. I have owned two Wonder XXS many years ago and these models were flying great, but the all-up weight had to be below 500 g. The wingspan was 680 mm, not much smaller then your twin motor version. On the other hand, we flew the Wonder XXS with a brushed Speed 400 6V and NiCd cells

https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc

On the attached plan of the Wonder XXS you can see how far forward the CG had to be and like this it flew very good. And you have to admit, the Twerk is very similar to the Wonder.
Mar 25, 2019, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
Ok thanks. That's useful info. I had figured the CG would need to be max 46 mm from the LE.

The Twerk will be much heavier. Probably 700 g. The rudders can probably be removed.

It's an experiment. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 25, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply