Apr 14, 2019, 08:47 PM
No RTF flies like your own SB
Thread OP

Maiden = Success

Hi there,

I maidened the SU-37 on the weekend.
The first flight was a bit of a handful as she was very nose heavy (see video below).

After that, I moved the batter aft about 50-60mm and she became a different plane.
What a pleasure to fly!
She has plenty of grunt, flying vertical very nicely on full throttle, and also cruising beautifully in half throttle.
Take offs and landings were amazing, too.
The shock absorbing LG works great and she sticks to the ground as soon as the mains touch the runway.

One thing, though... she is so noisy! Definitely the noisiest plane on my fleet and probably amongst my friend's, too.
I measured the noise and it is 87-88 dB on full throttle. That's not too much in itself but it's also a high pitch which makes it very noticeable.
Having said that, hearing how she screams on full throttle flying vertical is kind of rewarding... as long as you don't do it for a long time
I'll have to fly her strictly after 9am and/or only in designated places where there's no neighbors around.

Maiden video:
SU 37 slot prop maiden (2 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2019, 09:31 PM
PSALM 14:1
Congrats on the successful flight(s) and EXCELLENT save right after the maiden take-off!

Moving the motor to the rear should help with the noise and the CG
Apr 14, 2019, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
hahaha... yeah it was a bit of a scary moment!

I had very little elevator authority due to the extremely nose heavy balance...
She rolled more than I expected on the runway and, just went I was about to abort..., she took off. You can hear how I eased on the throttle and then gave her full throttle again in a split second.
I just managed to save her from hitting the ground but a few inches I think...

Anyway, there was room to move the battery aft and that fixed the CG issue. She flies great now and I'm glad it didn't require any glue
Apr 14, 2019, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Posting some new photos capturing scale details
Apr 21, 2019, 08:29 AM
Proudly Littering Upwards
Absolutely beautiful in looks and nice maiden flight too! Very curious to see a video of her with the more rearward CG - can she do the good ol' prop-slot-Sukhoi Kulbit backflip? I know the area behind the prop isn't part of the elevons on your build, but you never know...
Apr 21, 2019, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
I don't think she will but I haven't tried yet.
I need to try configuring the elevators and ailerons to move together. That might work.
Just waiting for some nice weather as this weekend has been windy and couldn't fly.
Will try it next time and also post a new video.

Quick Reply