Mar 19, 2019, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Balancing an outrunner for EDF

I have never used outrunner motors on
My Ducted fans.  Inrunners all the times :-)

So I do have Some unused  outrunners.
I am trying to balance Some of
Them and use for my next EDF projects.

Here, I found a good video on how
To balance an outrunner.
Quite simple though :-)
Enjoy..

In depth video how to balance brushless motors using a vibration meter and tape - Ontaerial (25 min 35 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2019, 12:51 PM
Classic jets rule
great vid . I have balanced out runners by removing the bell and putting the shaft through a Bering and then see if the bell is heavy on one side ..kinda like a prop balancer. add weight to the light side like you did. it has helped smooth out he motor for EDF use .
Mar 21, 2019, 06:55 AM
I use my wire and drill method for EDF outrunners.
In my blog for those interested. Quick and no apps needed (but you will need a piece of wire and an electric drill).
Here is a thread link
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-drill-method
Mar 21, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP

Thanks.
I think just a few minutes download
The app, and good to go. More
Precise than feeling. But I truely admired
Your skills 4stripes. I am not that good :-)

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2019, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately tape is not permanent (enough for the high RPM of EDF) and may cause some issues. The drilling away of material will keep it in balance for as long as the motor runs. I only use tape for balancing when it is inside the spinner or hub where the centrifugal forces hold it in place. The video works only for low rpm type applications.
You would be amazed how easy it is to find the light and heavy side of an outrunner using a piece of wire.
Much faster than any machine or balancer. Best part is nothing has to be taken apart.
Jun 07, 2019, 10:53 PM
Thanks 4stripes, I've not tried this yet but will do!

Link to Your original thread

BTW (EDF): I usually do rotate fan blade for blade vs a mark on outrunner bell until minimum vibration/sound.
This is to get fan center offset* vs BL motor center to a minimum. No weight added or removed.
This simple method usually work but in some cases it's not enough. Then I wil try Your method.

* There is always an offset no matter how precise things are produced as long it's two(or worse more) separate parts are put together.
Jun 07, 2019, 11:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
Thanks 4stripes, I've not tried this yet but will do!

Link to Your original thread

BTW (EDF): I usually do rotate fan blade for blade vs a mark on outrunner bell until minimum vibration/sound.
This is to get fan center offset* vs BL motor center to a minimum. No weight added or removed.
This simple method usually work but in some cases it's not enough. Then I wil try Your method.

* There is always an offset no matter how precise things are produced as long(or worse more) separate parts are put together.
Use good quality Inrunner to eliminate
Problem with motor. Only worry about
The blades and the spinner. Hopefully.

Jun 08, 2019, 05:58 AM
Nonsense. If you can balance the fan, balancing the outrunner is the easy part as it is done without any disassembly with my wire and drill method.
Use whatever you can afford. The inrunner will save a little work but outrunners can be made to run equally well.
BTW all current Freewing outrunners do not need any motor balancing. Their fans are pretty good too but sometimes benefit from additional dynamic balancing.
Last edited by 4stripes; Jun 08, 2019 at 06:03 AM.
Jun 08, 2019, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
Nonsense. If you can balance the fan, balancing the outrunner is the easy part as it is done without any disassembly with my wire and drill method.
Use whatever you can afford. The inrunner will save a little work but outrunners can be made to run equally well.
BTW all current Freewing outrunners do not need any motor balancing. Their fans are pretty good too but sometimes benefit from additional dynamic balancing.

Good to know about FW motors and fans .
Thx.

Even the wemotec fans I have.
They said balanced at factory, but a little
Fine tune, clocking the spinner helps .
Jun 09, 2019, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
Use good quality Inrunner to eliminate
Problem with motor.
Sorry but ...

I've had my share of inrunners, I do not wan't to go back to those. I get better
results with outrunners. I found inrunners heavy and phrone to overheat.
I guess most others have the same experience.

A smoked outrunners are even possible to rewind. A smoked inrunner
is garbage.
Jun 09, 2019, 05:19 PM
I have rewound a couple motors over the years but really don’t know much about it. I just replaced damaged wires with the same count of turns.
Do you have a link or blog explaining the basics Floey?
Jun 10, 2019, 01:23 AM
I've not tried to rewind a EDF motors yet, it takes too much time and patience + You need a good vision.
Did try it a couple of 1500kv motors long time ago before 2010, it worked!

How to do it You will find it all here on RCG:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-checks-tests
If You prefer Youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+motor+winding

I might add: To rewind an EDF outrunner You pull off the anchor to get access/ease rewinding.
Repaint anchor if You see any damage to paint, else You risk a short and Your work is ruined.

As I said this take a bit of time ... too much when I get new plane (kit) with fan and motor for ~43$ + freight
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mig1...0-ff34a2641fbe

I do replace ball bearings, swap plugs You know the simple stuff who is done in and hour or two.
Last edited by FLOEY; Jun 10, 2019 at 01:28 AM.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:54 AM
Thanks!

Quick Reply