Mar 19, 2019, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best nano beginner heli

I had some Blade MCX 2 (coax) helis a few years back, which I flew indoors only. They were great fun but I got more involved in planks for a few years.

Now I'd like to try an indoor heli, but a step up from a coax. I see Blade has the 70s, Nano CP and mCP S which look like a step up. But what distinguishes them from each other in particular for someone who has some skills on sticks.

I know the 70s has a proprietary battery, which I'm not thrilled about.

Regards
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2019, 11:37 PM
Going back to balsa
Get the Blade 70! You will be so happy that you did. The thing is a total gem, an outstanding example of what can be done in this modern time.

Want to learn to hover nose in? This is THE machine for the task.
Mar 20, 2019, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup
I had some Blade MCX 2 (coax) helis a few years back, which I flew indoors only. They were great fun but I got more involved in planks for a few years.

Now I'd like to try an indoor heli, but a step up from a coax. I see Blade has the 70s, Nano CP and mCP S which look like a step up. But what distinguishes them from each other in particular for someone who has some skills on sticks.

I know the 70s has a proprietary battery, which I'm not thrilled about.

Regards
If you were good at flying the MCX2, I fear you might get bored with the 70s.

The Nano CPS can fly just like the 70s when in self-leveling mode, but it also introduces you to collective pitch.
If you stay with the hobby, eventually you will want to fly CP's so why not get a head start?

Blade Nano CPS Indoors (Stability Mode) (1 min 14 sec)

[ EDIT ] There are lots of videos showing the Nano CPS doing impressive 3D, but it can also be as tame as a coax.
A few clicks on the computer radio and it becomes whatever you want.
Last edited by Steve_; Mar 20, 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Mar 23, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
That's a cool video. The only thing missing is a cat to chase around the room!
May 28, 2019, 02:07 PM
Saw the blade but what about the WLToys V911S ?
Jun 24, 2019, 08:57 AM
I got a 911S to occupy my time during the unflyable winter here. I do not like it at all. Flyable, but VERY twitchy. Not fun to me. I put it back in the box.
Jun 24, 2019, 10:52 AM
I went from the MCX 2 to the Nano CPS, FWIW.

The 70S wasn't yet a thing. The learning curve going from the MCX 2 to the CPS was hella steep.
Jul 01, 2019, 03:09 PM
If I get the blade s2 rtf and later get more into the hobby and get other helis and a better radio will I be able to bind the blade s2 to the better spectrum radio in the future??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jul 09, 2019, 05:45 PM
Should be able to. The S70 is the only recent Blade helicopter that doesn't have the DSM2/DSMX protocol.
Aug 03, 2019, 08:38 PM
My first heli after the coax mcx2 was a blade nano s2 that I still occasionally fly. Its great but I prefer at least flying in a 2 car garage for indoors or outside with no wind.
Aug 15, 2019, 10:33 PM
One problem I had with the blade nano heli (and nano quad) was they have micro battery connectors that I kept bending. Maybe I'm just ham fisted. Once they bent so many times a pin broke I soldered on a jst 2.0 connector to both the heli and quad and bought 1s batteries with jst 2.0 connectors that were available in 220mah and 230mah size and not too heavy. They are heavier than stock but both the nano heli and quad fly fine with them. If anything the extra weight makes them slightly more wind resistant. Anyway, with jst2.0 connectors I haven't bent a pin yet. And get 7 minute flight times on both heli and quad. I think the batteries were by Tattau or something like that - theres more than one brand, I checked sizes and bought the smallest and lightest I could find and they aren't much more expensive than stock.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Aug 15, 2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: add more battery info
Aug 16, 2019, 12:10 AM
An update on the jst2.0 batteries for the blade nano s2. I went out in the garage and grabbed two and they are tattau brand (5 each) 220mah lipo total length (including connector) 55mm and weight 6.1g each (according to my modeller's scale). I also got (4) 230mah crazypony lihv 1s batteries with jst2.0 connectors and those are 56.5mm long and weigh 6.7g each. Even tho the crazyponys are slightly longer and heavier they both balance so close to the same I couldn't tell any difference flying. Also I just charge the lihv batteries the same as if they were lipos so I don't get max capacity from them. The jst2.0 connector I used already had wires attached so I just spliced the wires and soldered white to red and black to black and everything worked ok. I used about 1 -2 inch longer wires overall compared to stock just because these batteries are longer than stock and so I would have a little extra sticking out the back.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Aug 16, 2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: hotwire is white

Quick Reply