Man Killed Trying to Retrieve Drone

Last week a tragic accident occurred in Forest Park, GA while two men attempted to retrieve a drone that was stuck in a tree. They were using a metal pole to try and knock the drone down when it touched a power line.

Splash

Be Careful Out There Folks

Last week a tragic accident occurred in Forest Park, GA while two men attempted to retrieve a drone that was stuck in a tree. They were using a metal pole to try and knock the drone down when it touched a power line. Upon contact with the power line, the two men were sent flying backwards by the shock. Police arrived and one of the men wasn't breathing and pronounced dead at the local hospital. The other man was hospitalized, but in stable condition. No other details have been released. [Fox 5]

Let this be a warning to stay away from power lines and other dangerous areas. Your drone is not worth your life. Don't think "it can't happen to me" because it can. Take time to check your surroundings and airspace before flying and be safe.

Mar 19, 2019, 10:37 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Pretty sad news, and in my neck of the woods too. Prayers for the family.
Mar 20, 2019, 12:49 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX

Really!

Yes this is a shame but come on, a metal pole near a live power line? The Darwin effect in action.
Mar 20, 2019, 05:28 PM
Metal pole? Check
High power line nearby? check.
Just add stupidity and mix.
This happens way too much and one has to wonder what people are thinking.
There was some clown in Detroit a few years back who attempted to do an unauthorized hook up at a utility pole when he contacted both lines. If I recall he was up there almost all night before they got the cold , dead corpse down.
I knew someone who was electrocuted attempting to raise a TV tower( back in the days without internet) when the wind caught the tower and forced it into a power line.
The utility company is not responsible for stupidity.
Mar 20, 2019, 10:43 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Kick 'em when they are down. c'mon now. Give it a break.
Mar 21, 2019, 09:17 AM

Consequences

This is about accepting the consequences of our actions. How can not one but two people intelligent enough to fly a drone not realize what an insanely bad decision they were making? And yet they went ahead and used a METAL pole to try and recover it. Enough said.
Mar 21, 2019, 09:18 AM
That sucks. Sucks for the families they left behind. Hope the story reaches wide so it doesn't have to happen again.
Mar 21, 2019, 10:23 AM
A lot of class in this thread.
Mar 21, 2019, 12:18 PM
I kill batteries!
It is a tragedy that this happened.

This scenario is exactly why I have a slingshot on an 8 foot pole with a throw weight and arbor line.
Last edited by Crashaccepted; Mar 21, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
Mar 21, 2019, 12:35 PM
Tragic and sad. But seriously, using a metal pole near power lines should be as instinctively forbidden as sticking a fork in a toaster or using a hair dryer while you’re in a bathtub.
Mar 21, 2019, 07:35 PM
Dang there are some insensitive people in here. Wow.

Have y’all happened to think that perhaps they didn’t KNOW it was a metal pole? I’m guessing they crashed and just grabbed whatever was close by. Sure they should have made sure it wasn’t a metal pole, but for all we know it looked like it was wood/plastic/etc.

Maybe look at the whole scenario before being coming to so many conclusions about their intelligence. I highly doubt they used a metal pole intentionally. It’s called an accident for a reason.

I hope their families are doing ok with it all.
Mar 21, 2019, 08:35 PM
Well, their families are likely to find themselves in financial straits soon. The survivor who is hospitalized may recover fully or may only partially recover leaving him permanently disabled. The family will be stuck with the high copays for the hospital stay, treatment and all medications as well as any rehab he may receive. If he is disabled, he and his family could possibly be facing some tough times ahead.
Not to smart to go chasing after a toy with a metal pole near a power line. That in itself is without class.
And no, they had to know they were using a metal pole. If you can't tell the difference between metal and wood then ...
Besides a wood pole would not insulate them from shock.
Mar 21, 2019, 08:48 PM
The real tragedy here is the loss the family must endure for the poor deccions of their father/husband/son.

Panhead: can you honestly present a real world scenario where you or anyone else could not differentiate between a metal/wooden/plastic/fiberglass pole?

Human beings, myself included, posses a very strong tendency to not want to own up to the consequences of our actions.

While I truly wish this had not happened (for the sake of those left behind, especially any children) I just cannot bring myself to mourn for this fellow who lost his life. I have plenty of compassion for my fellow human and Its terrible to see bad things happen to good people as I’m sure this man was. It’s just that day in and day out I see us all disregard the consequences of the choices we make. I’m sorry if by speaking my thoughts honestly I have offended others. But again as human beings every last one of us has the right to share (not force) our options openly with others. At the end of the day we all see things filtered through the lense of who each of us are.

John.
Mar 21, 2019, 08:49 PM
IMATECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica
sticking a fork in a toaster or using a hair dryer while you’re in a bathtub.
Actually if you have ground fault breakers you're better off than the guy with the metal pole.
Mar 21, 2019, 08:59 PM
@JollyRoger and Madt770, they could have just grabbed whatever was nearby and quickly tried to knock the quad down. So yes, they might not have realized it was metal in their rush to get the quad. Often we are so busy trying to save whatever is stuck we forgot common sense unfortunately. So yeah, that’s the scenario of not realizing. Many people in here are so quick to judge what happened without thinking of what the guy with the stuck quad was thinking in the heat of the moment.

As far as a wooden pole, wood does not conduct electricity so how would that have shocked him if he used a wooden pole? I’m not that much into what makes electricity work but I know that much.

Quick Reply