Mar 19, 2019, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sky Park R/C Glider Port

Some Photos of the R/C glider Port under construction.. YOU can see where we are going and what trees need to come down. Getting Close!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2019, 01:02 PM
confused poet
Where is this?

Hank
Mar 20, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
1.5 Hours form L.A.
1.5 Hours from San Diego
https://skyparksantasvillage.com/

Up by Lake Arrowhead California
Jun 22, 2019, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
We start Grading this week. Flight opps September AMA a Must PING me for more info
Jun 22, 2019, 11:26 PM
I feel like this goes without saying but uhh

Don't fly up there with Lipos

If your plane goes down and is unretrievable, you could very well set the mountain on fire. Then gliders are on the news.
Jun 22, 2019, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
No greater risk here then other sites. But shoukd we not build it now because of batteries?
Last edited by MrMPX; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Jun 23, 2019, 12:01 AM
Don’t use Lipos. I use Life batts. No worry ever.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Jun 23, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTheWind
I feel like this goes without saying but uhh

Don't fly up there with Lipos

If your plane goes down and is unretrievable, you could very well set the mountain on fire. Then gliders are on the news.
Ride the wind. With you on this one we want no risk or to lessen the risks as much as we can, been really thinking hard about your post.
MOST thankful for your input here!!!!

Couple of questions if I might.
1) Lipo under normal discharge just goes inert if plane is parked in a tree for a week say, the pack is ruined but risk of fire?
2) LiFe packs for say the MPX Heron a 3 cell 2400 Lipo cant seem to find an alternate. Any Ideas?
Jun 23, 2019, 06:51 PM
It's a complicated issue for sure, and I'm not the expert. I just see a mountain with trees all around and a risk of a massive disaster that could potentially ground everyone, everywhere, especially with the hysterical media today. It takes one news story, and that news story doesn't even have to be correct. At least have some sort of guidelines in place, something to cover our asses if something happens.

I know if you're not flying power then there is no reason nicds or nimhs can't be used.

LiFes do seem to be less volatile, but again I am not the expert.

Normally I'm the guy shrugging his shoulders and looking the other way but in that particular area, it could get very bad, very quickly.

Maybe some smarter guys than me could chime in (droyxd?)
Last edited by RideTheWind; Jun 23, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Jun 23, 2019, 10:16 PM
Sir Tim Rowledge
The only model aircraft fire I have seen in 46 years was a slope soarer that crashed hard at los baņos maybe 20 years ago. The Rx *nicads* shorted and ignited the very dry grass, burning some 50 acres or so. We had to rapidly pack the catering tent etc to get out of the way.
Fortunately the park ranger was fine - they said it saved cutting the grass ��
Jun 24, 2019, 01:17 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowledge
The only model aircraft fire I have seen in 46 years was a slope soarer that crashed hard at los baņos maybe 20 years ago. The Rx *nicads* shorted and ignited the very dry grass, burning some 50 acres or so. We had to rapidly pack the catering tent etc to get out of the way.
Fortunately the park ranger was fine - they said it saved cutting the grass ��

As I recall it was not a slope soarer, but a powered hotliner. And the guy was flying very erratically.

Quick Reply