This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2019, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic Maiden Flight

In 1080p 60fps - Here is the raw uncut footage of the Maiden Flight of my new Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic.

Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic Maiden Flight (6 min 20 sec)

My Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic has only 2 modifications from stock. I upgraded the stock 11x7 prop which weighed 27 grams, in favor of a much lighter 18-gram Xoar PJN 11x7 Beechwood prop. Secondly, the entire airframe has been coated with 2 applications of Minwax Semi-Gloss Polycrylic.

Powered by a Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C lipo, weighing in at 240 grams. Following the advice of RCG members, the CG was set to 70mm from the leading edge of the top wing, with the front of my 4S lipo battery lined up to the front edge of the battery tray. This CG location felt just right for this initial flight. Flight Timer was set to 4:00 minutes. Flown with a Spektrum DX8 G2 Transmitter. Control surface linkages were setup according to manual. The rates I used were as follows:

Aileron: 85% with 28% Expo
Elevator: 100% with 15% Expo
Rudder: 95% with 15% Expo

Note: With these initial settings my Eflite Pitts felt very responsive to the point of being twitchy (especially the Rudder), but was still manageable. Additional tuning will be needed for my flight preferences.

An interesting thing to note is that I've actually had my Eflite Pitts S-1S unassembled in pieces in my hangar since October of 2018. I had just about completed the polycrylic coating process, up until the fuselage. Of course life happened and projects like this got pushed to the side. That is, until the Bomb Cyclone Blizzard of 2019 struck Colorado this past week, keeping me indoors for several days. This allowed me the extra time to complete the polycrylic process on the fuselage, assemble, and set up my Pitts. Five months later and here she is!

It was well worth the wait. This Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic is outstanding! I was actually taken by surprise with its power, speed, and responsiveness. I'll have to tune my rates and expo further as the settings I indicated above felt a bit touchy and a too responsive for my preferences. However with that said, this Eflite Pitts is a beautiful aerobat that speaks to my flying style as well as my soul. I thoroughly enjoyed the maiden flight of this remarkable biplane, and I'm looking forward to more tuning and flights with her.

As of now, there is conceptually only one other biplane that I know of that would easily defeat the Eflite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic.. however it is one that Horizon Hobby has yet to bring to life, but this time as an 850mm BNF Basic foam model. I can always dream of that one. But for now, this gorgeous lady in red is more than enough for me.

Flight video footage taken with Mike's iPhone X on 1080p 60fps.

Thanks for the excellent video capture Robert! I know it wasn't easy keeping me locked in on your sights with my aerobatics, especially with your zoom-in skills, but you did great a great job! And thank you Mike for allowing us to get the flight footage using your iPhone X!! The video quality is excellent!

And as always, thanks for watching!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply