Mar 17, 2019, 03:22 PM
G.F. beurling
Thread OP
Discussion

Internal battery replacement in old JR 8103 Anybody done it?

I'm going to soon be needing to replace the internal battery in one or both of my JR 8103 TX's. Is anybody familiar with a professional service department that is providing this service at or near the same reasonable rate as Horizon use to?

If I had a small ARC welder I'd attach solid metal nickle leads to a new battery and do the replacement myself. But I really don't like the idea of applying a hot soldering iron to such a small battery. So I figure I better seek a pro service department. Just great that JR closed down too, ain't it! LOL
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2019, 03:30 PM
Still diggin' holes...
You can solder in a lithium cell holder, put a cell in it, and then desolder or cut out the old battery.
Mar 17, 2019, 03:45 PM
G.F. beurling
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometlover View Post
You can solder in a lithium cell holder, put a cell in it, and then desolder or cut out the old battery.
Yea, I've often thought exactly as you put it. But I haven't yet dismantled the radio and examined what kind of battery it is, and what kind of holder is reliable so that the contacts will not oxidize and go bad just sitting there for 6 or more years. I wouldn't trust a $2 chinese battery holder available on the market. Only takes an unexpected contact loss to crash a plane.

I'd feel better with solid nickle metal leads (like on nicad battery packs) directly soldered or ARC welded onto the battery. Then those leads can be soldered onto the radio. Which again makes me seek pro radio service since I don't have an ARC welder. If I was in the battery business I'd buy an ARC welder or build one.
Mar 17, 2019, 05:56 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.F. Beurling View Post
I'm going to soon be needing to replace the internal battery in one or both of my JR 8103 TX's. Is anybody familiar with a professional service department that is providing this service at or near the same reasonable rate as Horizon use to?

If I had a small ARC welder I'd attach solid metal nickle leads to a new battery and do the replacement myself. But I really don't like the idea of applying a hot soldering iron to such a small battery. So I figure I better seek a pro service department. Just great that JR closed down too, ain't it! LOL
Tony @ Radio South - radiosouthrc.com.

Ivan
Mar 17, 2019, 06:04 PM
The JR/DFA website gives the info on where to send older JR equipment for service, as does the JR America's website.

Loved my 8103s, served me well for many many years without trouble. I still fly JR (DMSS) but of course not sure about long term viability...
Mar 17, 2019, 06:55 PM
65 years of RC flying
Failure of the battery (or holder) doesn’t cause crashes. The transmitter continues to work as long as it’s turned on.
Mar 17, 2019, 09:01 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Tony @ Radio South - radiosouthrc.com.

Ivan
+1 on Tony
Mar 17, 2019, 10:10 PM
Two referrals for Tony of Radio South!

Those lithium cells with welded solder tabs are still available, 639-CR2032-P5-1 if you are inclined to replace the battery yourself. Researched this a couple years ago as I had purchased an 8103 with some 6 meter receivers a decade ago, had become interested somewhat with UMX aircraft and could fly them with a DM9 module and the 8103. Really did not want to use the Orange TX, purchased used here on RCG as I found out later that it had not been FCC Type Accepted.

The battery is on the programming switch board, photo from an 8103 parted out here on RCG. The same type button cell is shown in the RC-CAM site which describes how the XP 783 battery was replaced.
Mar 18, 2019, 12:44 AM
G.F. beurling
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
Two referrals for Tony of Radio South!

Those lithium cells with welded solder tabs are still available, 639-CR2032-P5-1 if you are inclined to replace the battery yourself. Researched this a couple years ago as I had purchased an 8103 with some 6 meter receivers a decade ago, had become interested somewhat with UMX aircraft and could fly them with a DM9 module and the 8103. Really did not want to use the Orange TX, purchased used here on RCG as I found out later that it had not been FCC Type Accepted.

The battery is on the programming switch board, photo from an 8103 parted out here on RCG. The same type button cell is shown in the RC-CAM site which describes how the XP 783 battery was replaced.
Thank all you gents for the input. I will keep Radio South in mind as a good repair source.

HIR/CER,
Your post is the first time I'm getting detailed info and photos about the procedure. Without opening the radio to explore the battery location and designation, I was initially hesitant to get involved for fear of running into unexpected problems. Thank you for this info. Now knowing the battery designation as a CR2032 p5-1, I have found sources on the web to buy the battery with leads already attached at an inexpensive price. As well, your wafer board photo lets me see what I'm looking for. I now have no doubts that I can do this myself, and another 5 or 6 years down the road too when it's time. I have two of these radios, and I purposely bought my 2nd 8103 as a back-up so in the event I lose the data while I'm working on the one while replacing the battery, I can always transfer the data from the other radio back into it.

Appreciate it.
Last edited by G.F. Beurling; Mar 18, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Mar 18, 2019, 08:46 AM
65 years of RC flying
The battery is supposed to be replaced every five years, as I recall. However, my JR783, purchased in 1996, was still going strong when I sent it in for a checkup in about 2005. Now, 14 years later, the replaced battery is still working.

I’ve seen reports that the batteries typically last 10 years.
Mar 18, 2019, 08:59 AM
Still diggin' holes...
I replaced the main battery of my x3810 last year, after being shelved for at least a decade.

Memory batt was still fine...it must be about 20 years old now
Mar 18, 2019, 08:30 PM
I have replaced these - easy to do. I bought battery holders and soldered leads to them to replace the soldered in battery. If you do it before your battery has failed you won't lose your programming.
Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 PM
65 years of RC flying

Internal battery replacement in old JR 8103 Anybody done it?

As a result of this discussion, I went to check my old JR783 and got “Backup error.” The battery has finally died after about 14 years.
Feb 16, 2020, 02:22 PM
Still Screamin'!
Has anyone replaced the internal battery on an XP9303 radio? I've looked and can't find the battery but I know it has one? Anyone know where it is on this radio? As a last resort I can send it to Tony but I hate to be without it for that long plus the cost of sending it there and back.
Feb 16, 2020, 02:45 PM
I worship His Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Has anyone replaced the internal battery on an XP9303 radio? I've looked and can't find the battery but I know it has one? Anyone know where it is on this radio? As a last resort I can send it to Tony but I hate to be without it for that long plus the cost of sending it there and back.
Have a look here:
https://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.p...y-replacement/
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nt#post4451710

Quick Reply