Mar 17, 2019, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Setting up a gasser with Life batteries ?

what's the tricks I need to know to run the receiver with these batteries and what are you using on your ignition ?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2019, 04:05 PM
I have been using 2s life on these for a few years 2000 mah for receiver and 1450 for ignition, using hitec gear. No tricks just plugging straight in.
Cheers
Greg
Mar 18, 2019, 05:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrots
I have been using 2s life on these for a few years 2000 mah for receiver and 1450 for ignition, using hitec gear. No tricks just plugging straight in.
Cheers
Greg
Thanks ))
Mar 18, 2019, 06:05 AM
I am guessing you would also need to ensure the servos will run at 6.6V plus?

I have a 2M 36cc plane I am about to tidy up plus a Pattern plane as well, plans for both are to go with HV servos and do away with any bec or regulator...

Cheers

Shaun
Mar 18, 2019, 07:13 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
I run the same combination in all my gas models. 6.6v 2S LiFe directly into my FrSky RX and ANY ignition unit I have tried. ONLY O.S. say no more than 4.8v on their gas ignitions, but they still take 8.4v without an issue. All the RCXel , DLE, DA and Chinese made Hobbyking ignitions will handle the 6.6volts no problem. I have used them all and I know which can and cannot. Do remember to check the voltage of your RX, and the servo's. I run digital 6.0v MAXIMUM rated servo's and have never burned one out yet. I did fry an MG90 at 6.6 volts, but they are only rated to a maximum of 4.8v. I found this out AFTER I fried it.....one should always check first.....

I ALWAYS charge before each flying day, but I never have to add more than about 600mah into the cells, even after 5-6 flights of 10 minutes and week in storage, packs are 2x2100mah for the RX and 1x2100mah for ignition. My second setup, using LiPo for the RX, discharge about twice as much for the same flight time. These are also 2100mah 2S packs, but they self discharge at about 2.5 times the rate of LiFe. This is mild to mid level aerobatic flying, NOT 3D.
Last edited by Azoic; Mar 18, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Apr 15, 2019, 02:38 AM
Aeromodelling In Oz

Ignitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
I run the same combination in all my gas models. 6.6v 2S LiFe directly into my FrSky RX and ANY ignition unit I have tried. ONLY O.S. say no more than 4.8v on their gas ignitions, but they still take 8.4v without an issue. All the RCXel , DLE, DA and Chinese made Hobbyking ignitions will handle the 6.6volts no problem. I have used them all and I know which can and cannot. Do remember to check the voltage of your RX, and the servo's. I run digital 6.0v MAXIMUM rated servo's and have never burned one out yet. I did fry an MG90 at 6.6 volts, but they are only rated to a maximum of 4.8v. I found this out AFTER I fried it.....one should always check first.....

I ALWAYS charge before each flying day, but I never have to add more than about 600mah into the cells, even after 5-6 flights of 10 minutes and week in storage, packs are 2x2100mah for the RX and 1x2100mah for ignition. My second setup, using LiPo for the RX, discharge about twice as much for the same flight time. These are also 2100mah 2S packs, but they self discharge at about 2.5 times the rate of LiFe. This is mild to mid level aerobatic flying, NOT 3D.
Modules supplied with some DLE petrol engines a few years ago were limited to a maximum of 4.8 volts. There may still be some getting around.
Apr 15, 2019, 06:06 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS 22897
Modules supplied with some DLE petrol engines a few years ago were limited to a maximum of 4.8 volts. There may still be some getting around.
I have tried at least 5 x 4.8v MAXIMUM voltage DLE Ignitions, and two or three x 3W Ignitions with 4.8v max printed on the cases. I ran all of them on 8.6v and not one issue. If your really worried, crack the case and look at all those blowuppables inside....all rated 24v to 60v......I DOUBT anything around 6-8v is going to even make them wake up, let alone get them warm....
However I do know for a FACT, these ignition units smoke, smell and stop working if you plug in the wrong lead and run them on 36volts........ask me how I found this morsal out......
I used a $275AUD 5 cylinder ignition from Moki to find it out myself.....there was some pricey smoke in the shed that day.....

Quick Reply