Mar 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Is Hexacopter best for wind?

Hi chaps,

I'm gonna try make a drone which is gonna be mostly used at the beach in potentially high winds. The Idea is that this could be used as an aid to life guards by giving visuals from above as well as being able to drop flotation devices to struggling swimmers. Since there is generally a lot of wind at the beach (Specifically on days that we can expect swimmers to drown) I was wondering what is the best drone configuration for this use. This is for a school project so i do have a few limitations, however I can try exceed these

I attempted to make a Tricopter last year which sort of worked. I never got it to fully fly (It did hover) however this is more of a software problem as we attempted to write our own code onto an Arduino Nano. I created a post sometime last year concerning this and will update soon.

So I'm wondering what is the best motor configuration to deal with sea breezes. I am most likely going to make a hex as it seems to provide enough stability, but still only have 6 motors.

Would gladly appreciate any input,
Thanks, Stumble.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2019, 12:23 AM
Not sure. More props are usually for lifting more weight and or redundancy.

More props can mean more disk area for wind to hit if the motors aren't stacked on top of each other.
Mar 17, 2019, 07:34 AM
It is mostly about RPM and surface.

Small surface area and high RPM ==> better in windy conditions
Big props at low RPM ==> more efficient
Mar 17, 2019, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
So do I wanna try make it as small as possible? Would it still be stable? It seems like it'll just get blown away with the wind...

Thanks guys.
Last edited by StumbleNZ; Mar 20, 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Mar 17, 2019, 11:40 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The wind speed that the model can handle is a function of its top flying speed. Build a multirotor that can fly at 50MPH and it will be able to hold position in 50MPH wind. Doesn't matter how many props it has.
Mar 18, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Most likely I’ll be making an ordinary multi rotor drone. Which design do you think is most suitable for my needs? A quad? A hex?
Mar 18, 2019, 08:07 PM
X8 octo or Y6 hexa should be good for you
Mar 20, 2019, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Yeah I’ve had a little look at these types of drones. How exactly do these work and what are the advantages of these over ordinary 1 motor per arm drones? I’m real keen to try out these different designs but I want to be aware of any difficulties I might find on the way. From designing my drone last year I've learnt how important it is to make sure I cover EVERYTHING in the design phase.
Mar 20, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
This guy says he doesn't like it... keen to get your guys opinion. https://www.dronevibes.com/forums/th...hime-in.10372/
Mar 20, 2019, 09:40 PM
If you wanna best for wind = as woga65 said before, less surface area, high kv motors, small props. but not efficient.
Coaxial = less surface area, should be better for you.
Here my 480 quad defeated by the wind
Bad Wind Bad Accident (0 min 19 sec)
Apr 05, 2019, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys! For the best set of questions.
For a Y6 what should the angle between the arms? All 120 or is there meant to be a specific sides that's the front? Also, what is the optimal arm length?

Thanks, Stumble
Apr 05, 2019, 06:18 AM
Thread OP
Also, which props are best? Standard ones or ones with 3 blades? Smaller or bigger?

I heard that high Rpm small props are best, is this correct?
Apr 09, 2019, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumbleNZ
Also, which props are best? Standard ones or ones with 3 blades? Smaller or bigger?

I heard that high Rpm small props are best, is this correct?
It depends. 3 blade props have more "beef", as they move more air per rotation. 2 blade props are more efficicent, as they have one blade less air resistance.

Smaller props have less weight and a smaller moment of inertia, therefore can spin up faster than bigger props to react to outside forces i.e. wind. Bigger props are more efficient though.

It always depends on what you want to do. There is no "best for all" prop.

If you want a wind resistant drone, I would go for 5 inch 3 blades. It gives you a good amount of power and fast reacting props.

Here's a video of flying in 80+mph / 130kph wind:

Mini Drone vs 80+ MPH WINDS! Pali Notches Hike, Hawaii (9 min 31 sec)
May 15, 2019, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Been a while,

I'm trying make a little test rig and am wondering which way each propeller should be spinning and washing into each other. I have 5 inch 3 blade props.
Should the top ones be spinning opposite to the bottom? Should the bottom one push air up?

Thanks, StumbleNZ
May 15, 2019, 11:22 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The direction the props should turn is dictated by the FC. Doesn't matter whether the motor is pointed up or down, the direction the motor on each corner needs to turn is the same... For the motors that point down, the props get installed "upside down", so that the face of the prop is up towards the motor above it, compared to up facing motors where the underside of the prop faces the motor.

Quick Reply