This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 15, 2019, 07:50 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

UC4H: Finishing the notify Display

I used the UC4H Notify display as an example of flashing the firmware to a General node now I'll just finished up that project. The UC4H is similar to the Ardupliot status display. It is really useful to get some important information before you fly without having to haul around a ground station. It is particularly important to have a good GPS lock before you fly with Ardupliot and a simple LED on your GPS indicating a 3D Lock is not adequate. The Notify display gives you the number of satellites you are using and the quality of the signal. It also has a ticker tape line that gives you the messages that you would normally have to get from the message tab in Mission Planner. It will tell you what your battery voltage is and all in plain text rather than having to decipher sequences of blinking lights or musical tones.

The notify display using a cheap and commonly available SSD1306 .96" OLED I2C module. Becarefuyl to note that these modules can look identical from various vendors but instead, stupidly, have the power and ground pins reversed from module to module.

There are case designs in thingiverse.com for the SSD1306 you print or get printed to finish up your display.

There is a bigger 1.3" display that OlliW does now support. In the UAVCAN parameters for the Display Node set Display Type =0 for 1306 based or =1 for SH 1106 based displays.

In addition the UC4H Notify Display node offers a indicator LED extending the built in Pixhawk indicator led to the location of your choice. I put my indicator LEDS inside my HERE converted GPS with my UC4H GPS node. The UC4H Notify display node supports standard RGB WS2812 LED strips, cut down.

The UC4H Notify display does not require any changes in Arducopter parameters, it just works! But the Indicator LED option on the UC4H Notify display requires a parameter setting.
In Mission Planner to activate the Indicator LED, set the NTF_LED_TYPES=33 for The UC4H the internal led and the UAVCAN UC4H Indicator.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Mar 27, 2019 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply