Sep 16, 2019, 10:53 PM

Tarot 600 ESC Build

One of the clever items on the Tarot 600 is the ESC housing. The mount sits at the very front of the chassis/frame directly in the path of oncoming air. Even if you're not using a fan to cool the ESC I'm fairly certain it will get enough air over it to keep the temperature down.

I am using a Hobbywing 130 so it fits directly in the housing and is attached to it using 4 zip ties between the ESC leads and some tabs on the housing. There is a cutout in the top of the housing for different types of ESC's so you'll want to test fit it into the housing and decide which of the cutouts you'll need to remove. Based on what I was seeing it was pretty apparent that the designers built their test helis around the HW 130 which is why it fit so well. I'm sure other brands of ESC's will work, you'll just need to test fit them as mentioned. I did affix the fan unit to my ESC.

In an earlier post I mentioned the wire harness that Tarot has pre-assembled into the right frame. Two of the leads plug into the HW 130 ESC, one for power and the other for the signal (governor). Both leads go directly to the back of the heli and exit where your receiver and FBL controller will go. Since then wire harness is already installed you don't need to run servo wires from front to back and the wire harness is hidden inside so no wires are visible on the outside of the frame. This was another item I thought was cleverly thought out by the designers.

The motor leads from the ESC exit towards the front of the heli so you will loop them over one of the body spacers and then under the ESC, Tarot has included two tabs that will hold the first and third ESC wire in place (see the photo below) and then connect to the motor leads. The ESC battery leads exit through two holes in the chassis and then the plugs are inserted into the receptacles on the sides. When you're ready to fly you will plug your battery pack leads into these two points (one is red and the other black).
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 01:12 AM
Nova Helicopters designer.
I love the difference in this design. Very refreshing!
I think I will build the 550 version and use a Spirit & Geolink when funds permit.
I have really missed my Gaui x4 since I sold it..
Sep 17, 2019, 09:30 AM
the way the esc goes in, well, could be situated more ideally believe it or not.

Has anyone noticed the 550 head and boom are smaller than the 600's. I was at ebay and saw the boom clamps for the tail with two inner ids, what was it 25mm and 22mm so some things are different between them.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:15 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Yes, boom diameters are different between the 550 and 600. The frame is the same but the 550 has a sleeve that adapts the smaller diameter 550 boom to fit the frame. Head is less 'beefy on the 550 too.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:17 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Six hours working on the helicopter yesterday, two more this morning.

The boom is on and the machine is sitting on its landing gear with the head, tail boom, all servos, FBL unit and receiver installed.

It is going together very rapidly. I should be starting do to setup by early this afternoon.

The metal ends on the tail pushrod on mine appear to have already been glued on-they will not come off with the application of moderate force

A correction to one of my earlier posts: The three pushrods the go between the servo arms and the swashplate are NOT turn buckles. They have right-hand threads on both ends.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:49 PM
Getting down to the wire...

About all that is left is the motor installation and final setup.

It would have been much easier to install the motor before the rest was assembled, but the new motor does not arrive until tomorrow...

Note the nose/battery tray cover is still orange-I have to green ones to assemble (I kind of like the orange nose though).

Finally a machine that is as brightly colored as the KBDD Blades!
Sep 17, 2019, 08:06 PM
rc user
i would leave the orange nose. it contrasts nicely and matches the tail treatment.

good observation on the KBDD blades- they certainly do have vivid colors like the Tarot model.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:54 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Nice work Ah Clem!
Sep 18, 2019, 12:55 AM
Thank you sir!
Sep 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Finally a machine that is as brightly colored as the KBDD Blades!
that's as easy as rattle can'ing a regular canopy with florescent color paint or applying flo colored vinyl. How about wrapping the back of the boom with some? Honestly I'd be doing the same to the lower cf also.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:03 PM
Nova Helicopters designer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott214
I plan on bringing my Tarot 600 to the Buzzin' the Border Fun Fly this coming Saturday. I don't know if it will be flying by then but I'll have it there as a static display for anyone who is interested in seeing it. If you're in the southern San Diego area please stop by.

Also, Richard (Ah Clem) will be there and I've asked him about combining our talent to shoot a video of the Tarot. There's a couple of flight videos out already but there isn't one detailing this unique heli which I thought would be of value. So if all goes well the "Two Old Dudez and a Heli" will make a video and post it.

Ah Clem: is there a charge $$$ for just watching and parking a car at the Buzzin the Border event? I'd like to attend as I'm 90 minutes away, but funds are tight!
Sep 18, 2019, 11:54 PM
If u donít fly u donít pay
Sep 19, 2019, 10:07 AM
I'm getting the feeling that the Tarot 550/600 is possibly the most revolutionary helicopter that has come out in a long time. Quite possibly it is going to set the standard for all other companies to follow, with its integrated wiring system and crash resistant frame and its reported excellent flying characteristics the Tarot might if not corner the heli market change it forever. It is for the above reasons that I have ordered the 550 and taken money out of my retirement account to do it (can't take it with you).

Its not that the Tarot 550 is all original, the designer as borrowed freely from other pioneers in the hobby, its just the excellent integration of all the 'best' ideas into one compact affordable package. Couple that with their very affordable power packages 'currently out of stock' but coming soon you have something that comes around once maybe 'if your lucky' twice in a lifetime.

Yes ladies and gentlemen its a good time to be alive in this hobby. My only regret is that I can't fly helicopters forever, well fly Tarots forever.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:35 AM
Almost done...

Finished the FBL setup yesterday afternoon.

The new motor had shorter wires than the old one, so i had to extend the ESC wires (which I had trimmed to the correct length).

The motor plugs were also different-fortunately I had a matching set of plugs for the extended ESC wires.

ESC programming next this morning, then a little adjustment to wire routing, then I need to go over the machine to make sure all of the fasteners are tight.

I probably have about 18 hours in it at this point-about average for me building a helicopter.

The parts all fit well. The quality of the parts is excellent. Overall the machine looks extremely good.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:57 AM
Great job Richard!

I've started the programming of mine also but the next few days are going to be busy so I don't think it'll be ready to fly this weekend at Buzzin. But I'll have it with me there to show off. See you then!

Quick Reply