Mar 15, 2019, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pilot Baby - New vintage rudder sports model reproduction.

I used to fly a Pilot Baby a decades ago. It was a fun little plane, even with heavy 540 car motor and 7-cell sub C nicads. I decided to design a printable version using the original plan and keeping the original shape as close as possible. I even modeled the shape of the ribs and covering on top of the wing.

I designed both rubber band wing attachment holes and a wing for latch attachment, which is easier but less forgiving og bad landings. It needs
quite a lot of nose weight with the super light modern motor up there, so a heavy motor should be used.

I also made noses for different Cox TD and BB engines, but won't be able to test those out myself as I don't have any engines.

It's printed with <0,3 mm extrusion width all around and is pretty strong. It has an integrated servo tray and holes for control rods to poke through, lining up straight to the control surfaces, which have integrated control horns.

I was going to maiden it today but couldn't find any wing rubber bands, so I'll have to print the latch version of the wing and do it later. It will fly great as it's a close replica of the original design, which flew even with my old ultra heavy gear at around 1 kg weight. It even slope soared at that weight.

Wingspan: 914 mm.
Length: 683 mm (without prop and spinner).
Weight: 745 g with extra nose weight under the battery.

This seems to be a deviation from the original dimensions, but it's really just more accurate than the original dimensions. The wing fits over the plans.

Here's the original plan:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2226

Download the files here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...l-reproduction
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 16, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2019, 01:03 PM
Woho, another Lynxman plane!! Keep it up

btw, no ailerons?
Mar 15, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
No this one is only rudder and elevator control.
Mar 16, 2019, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
It really like to have some power on and doesn't like to glide. In the first few minutes I'm flying with marginal power setting and it took a while before I figured out it needs a higher throttle setting to fly smoothly.

Maiden flight:
3D printed planes maiden flights - Baby and Nucking Futs (10 min 40 sec)
Mar 16, 2019, 09:43 AM
MorganTech
Nice look with the ribs showing! The flight is a bit faster that I'd like to see and it looks like in the turns is was dropping a wingtip and starting to stall. Did you build any washout into the wing tips, that might settle it down in slower flight.
Mar 16, 2019, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
There's no washout as that's not in the original design. I shouldn't have called it a trainer because it'snot really a trainer. Pilot/OK called it a sports model. The odd behaviour in the turns in the beginning ofthe video was me expecting it to retain energy better and not using enough power.
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 16, 2019 at 02:55 PM.
Mar 16, 2019, 10:35 AM

quick "noob" question....

the bottom skin did not close over the internal reinforcement.
Anyone knows what setting to change in the slicer?

Mar 16, 2019, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
Did you read the print settings part? "Print at 0,25 to 0,3 mm extrusion width." It will work up to 0,4 mm but it's designed to be printed light.
Mar 16, 2019, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
I recharged and it spent 500 mAh in the 5 minute flight.
Mar 16, 2019, 11:02 AM

noseweigth?

what is the combined weight of the battery, motor/prop/esc and nose weight?

The back plate mount is to reduce vibrations and noise but it also isolates heat and the flex reduces damage on hard landings.
Engine includes 7 by 4 master airscrew prop and spinner-nut
Mar 16, 2019, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Motor+prop: 35 g
ESC: 25 g.
Battery 190 g.

I have the same scale right here on the table.

I don't know what the steel weight I glued in the nose weighs, You should be able to balance the plane using the receiver battery.
Mar 16, 2019, 11:08 AM

the used settings

true was a bit lazy yesterday and just used the same settings as for the pylon racer
so increase layer height for the next print.
Mar 16, 2019, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
I wouldn't increase the layer height. I use 0,12 mm layer height with 0,25-0,3 extrusion width.
Mar 16, 2019, 11:17 AM

engine is about the same as the battery then

Fuel tank is a bit of weight too but this might be possible.

Got that scale years ago from "deals extreme" to balance helicopter rotor blades and has been going strong since

Even on its first included batteries

Think it was like $10 or so really cheap for what it does.
Mar 16, 2019, 11:22 AM

get a few more nozzles ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I wouldn't increase the layer height. I use 0,12 mm layer height with 0,25-0,3 extrusion width.
So far only used the included one so that might be a additional optimization option.

Quick Reply