Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 14, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Adding LEDs

So I’m starting a project where I’ll be turning a Air Hogs X-Wing into a respectable 4-channel aircraft.

I’m going to be modding in exhausts to all 4 “engines” because the stock model has cheapie foam parts that aren’t up to snuff.

The powerplant will run off a 2s battery and I want to wire a red LED into each exhaust to match the look from the movies.

Can anybody point me toward a bight red LED that will fit inside an area about 3/4” wide?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2019, 03:28 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I get my LEDs at HobbyPartz , the brightest LEDs are the ones that operate on 12v .

https://www.hobbypartz.com/rc-led-lights.html
Mar 15, 2019, 07:47 AM
Thread OP
Do you think they would work with 2S? That’s a nice site thanks for the link!
Mar 15, 2019, 09:31 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
First, I would recommend weighing all the bits and pieces, everything, that you will need to add for the conversion.

Add the same weight to your Air Hogs X-Wing, and test it to see how (if) it flies.

Having watched the FliteTest video of the X-Wing, it looks extreemly marginal on power, adding any extra weight ..........

Mar 15, 2019, 01:17 PM
I've tried a few different red LEDs as eyes for bird/dragon planes. For running at night, pretty much anything will do, but if it's meant to stand out during the daytime almost nothing seems to be bright enough. Probably better to go for red mirror card or something else reflective instead.

The best I found is 12V daytime running lights for cars. They're very piercing at night and stand out well even on fairly bright days- I can't say how well they do under a very high sun on a clear day because when has that ever lined up for me while flying

On 2S they'd need a step-up voltage converter for any useful amount of light. You can try nudging them beyond 13V for some extra punch too. They're quite heavy though and you'd need to cut back the thick cable right to the light and solder on some much thinner wires to save those grams. Also the current draw from 4 of them through the converter could be quite significant for a small 2S pack.

I've just looked up the X-wing in question and it I doubt it'll cope with the weight or CG change of anything but the very lightest LEDs, and those are basically invisible under daylight so it's likely not worth the bother.
Mar 15, 2019, 03:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
Do you think they would work with 2S? That’s a nice site thanks for the link!
Yes , they will work with 2S ..... but they won't be as bright as 3S .

The strips can be cut to shorter lengths , or coiled for concentrated light . https://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10192.html

On the plane in this video ↓ , I used 5 coiled white LED strips ..... so bright you can't look directly at them ! I made this plane to mimic the 1997 "Phoenix Lights" UFO .

UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)

Hobbypartz has free shipping for orders over $50 , incase you need some servos , ESCs , etc .
Mar 15, 2019, 03:52 PM
Kinda Complicating this ain't we?? Buy a cheap 2$ Dollar store flashlight.. then salvage it's V bright Leds. Use a cr3020 1.5 v lithium battery as power. Cheap, light and disposable Go to an electronics shop and they (if even a passable shop) will have literally Dozens of LED for sale, typically pennies each .. Some are multi colour and even flash.
.Pick a brightness and a Voltage
Mar 15, 2019, 03:56 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
RC Groups member AJWoods has done several X-Wings , including AirHogs conversions : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=68443

Air Hogs Star Wars X-Wing Overview and Mod Guide (19 min 39 sec)
Mar 16, 2019, 06:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Cool !!! We just wired ours into our separate battery … Microswitch on a tiny servo turns it on and off , but that was some time ago …. now I guess you can have sequential , flashing , multicolors …

BorC …. COOL UFO Dude !!!

And … LEDs add up like resistors … take a 3 volt LED , add another in series , and you have a 6 volt pair , which you can possibly run off an unused 5 volt source (RX) Keep adding the series pairs in parallel , and they all run off ~ 6 Volts , just more current … which isn’t much really for the old standard small LED bulbs ( I’m guessing they’re outdated now in favor of the tiny Yellow chips …that are really bright )

And while they sure don’t do much at all in the daytime , they do look Good indoors , adding a small touch of realism … There's even blinking ones you can put up on the tail or wingtips …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply