Apr 27, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
I had a thought about why it was diving, and felt that it was related to the yaw to the right. Most planes will drop the nose when you induce yaw so I took a hard look at the wings. They were symmetrical and the power off glide was straight and that confirmed it. Upon closer inspection of the motor attachments, there was a bit of glue that was slightly pulling the left wing motor mount and causing a down thrust. On a pusher prop that means itís going to pitch that wing up when you add throttle, hence the slight turn to the right. That slight yaw was enough that many times I took my hands off the sticks it would fly gradually toward the ground and on a slow right hand arc. The more it went down, the more it would fight to fly what it thought was level. Perhaps the gain is just a little high because when you corrected with the sticks, releasing the stick made the gyro quickly intervene and itís back down to the right.

I removed the blob of glue and used a hairdryer on low to heat up the motor mount area and set it at the same angle as the other wing. A quick rub with an ice cube on the foam helps it set after the heated foam has been put in place. For those that do foam manipulation like this, it might require a second application or two in the case of crash repairs. Anyways, took a test flight this morning and she flew straight and true. Oh happy day! The diving tendency on the throttle seems to be gone. It still dumps the elevator when you cut throttle, but now the results are much more pleasing. I can live with it, in spite of the crappy transmitter. I still need to finalize the correct CG and add the FAA style lighting system along with all the detail items. I have an idea for landing gear that would look more scale and might fuction well if the idea works. If not, weíll all know.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info Joe.
Mine is supposed to be delivered today but the tracking hasn't updated since Wednesday...
Apr 28, 2019, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
Was in the middle on a nice flight this morning and it dropped power quickly and down it went. I thought I hit low voltage which is rather abrupt, unlike many other which when the light on the receiver flashes you still have time. Sorry to say itís not the case. One of the motors quit.

Iíve flown the hell out of the C-17 for maybe a year and a half with no issues. the Diamond has had countless flights and survived a few crashes and still the motors work. The reaper drone the same. The quality control of this has been pretty spotty. I said it was going to come apart and itís giving me plenty of persuasion. The foam is a great little airframe. When it goes back together, it will be better than out of the box. Thatís all I am going to say.
Apr 28, 2019, 12:11 PM
Well that's a bummer, looking forward to your mods.
May 01, 2019, 09:51 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Maybe a suitable fuselage replacement , the RED seems to come with the fake nacelles but both appear to have elevator and ailerons moulded which could be cut.
They seem to be approx the size of the Multiplex micro fox glider which many have converted to full RC.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...911256390.html

Last edited by scousethief; May 01, 2019 at 10:01 AM.
May 02, 2019, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
That could be a fun bash.

Ordered some motors and props for the Airbus, it’s going to take a while so work will be started on the lighting system and landing gear first. I’ve procured some tiny LEDs, I mean small enough that you don’t notice them unless they are on. They are so small and light weight, there should be negligible weight penalty. Also going to play with flaps..... that could really make the slow flight more scale. I think this is going to be a fun project.
May 03, 2019, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3

So, is this thing not RTF? The listing makes it look like maybe a lot of assembly is required?
May 03, 2019, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsuit
So, is this thing not RTF? The listing makes it look like maybe a lot of assembly is required?
Looks like it does need some assembling; nothing very complicated and quite similar to the work needed to be done for the C17
May 03, 2019, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Not really. One harness connector for the servo in the fuse, The wing screws to the fuse. Thatís it. Probably takes 60 seconds.
May 03, 2019, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Not really. One harness connector for the servo in the fuse, The wing screws to the fuse. Thatís it. Probably takes 60 seconds.
He was asking about the 787, it looks like it does require more assembly.
May 03, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3
He was asking about the 787, it looks like it does require more assembly.
My mistake. Yep, that one needs assembly.
May 03, 2019, 12:31 PM
Hey Joe,
Are you going to replace the receiver?
This one looks interesting, it also has a single 2 amp brushed ESC (I assume would drive both motors?), so would require adding rudder control or split elevator, and adding/replacing servos:
Rx:
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-Mi...r_warehouse=CN
Servo:
https://www.banggood.com/1_7g-Low-Vo...r_warehouse=CN
May 03, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
The 787 looks like a pretty simple stick together kit similar to most kids toys. It looks like it uses the same board/motors as the C-17 and the nacelle are just fake decorations. I would think that the vast majority would have no problems putting it together in 10-15 minutes.

Joe, what leds have you bought? I'm guessing tiny little SMD Leds on kynar or magnet wire?
May 04, 2019, 07:35 PM
Registered Hoser
Puff pig, awesome name. I bashed on one of the pink pigs pictured. Used a 5700 brushless ips motor that is waaaaay too much power. Flys great ! It's a bit like a rocket over 1/2 power. The 787 is getting a milder set up. I just plan on doing aileron and elevator with stock motor. The plan is to hack in a three channel built in sc with board mounted servos.
Got to love these little airframes!
May 05, 2019, 07:32 PM
I maidened my A380 yesterday using the stock transmitter, flew like crap, it behaved like Joe described - like it would lose sense of level every few seconds and porpoise up/down for a few seconds then straighten back out.
I tried binding to my Devo 6 tx with a 4-in-1 rf module using the V911S protocol - no dice.
Then I tried my Devo 7E that has a standalone NRF24L01 module, bound right-away.
Flew it a couple of times today and it flew so much better with this transmitter, I had 20% expo and 75% rate on the elevator, i didn't notice the loss of level like before for some reason.
I flipped to 100% rate and managed a loop but it loses a lot of altitude coming out of the loop.
It would still be more fun with traditional ailerons or rudder control and get rid of the funky stabilization, just haven't figured out the best way to accomplish that yet.

Quick Reply