Apr 07, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy
A look at some of the innards.
The servo is 5 wires so most likely it is a motor and a pot and is not a standard servo so no upgrading here.
The battery is 300mah.
The all-in-one receiver board 2speed controllers a gyro and a servo port.
There is a rectangular hole in the center that is part of the board mounting.
The transmitter has a dipole for an antenna. Nice touch.
I have no idea what the 2 buttons do at the top but they are active.
The transmitters RF board is separate another nice touch.
Thats about all there is to this thing
Interesting, the two empty headers are probably for Leds as with some previous models. The 5wire servo is a strange choice.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2019, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
The extra sockets work for LEDs but strangely, the controller doesn’t toggle them off or on. They are always on.
Apr 08, 2019, 03:34 PM
Tom Para
I measured the output of the transmitter today and it is putting out a very respectful 70mw.
I opened up the motor nacelle for a little better cooling. The motors do get hot.
I looked into a receiver upgrade. the only thing I found was called a D/T Rx31-D Servo (w / Twin Steer) $45.00.
The seller is in Florida. I am not sure if it is worth it.
Apr 08, 2019, 04:30 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
A case of "what it's worth to you".

Maybe an upgrade to elevon control via one of those cheap 3channel helicopter type receivers (wltoys v911 etc) and then power both motors via a single channel, or something similar anyway.
Maybe something similar to what Jurgen of RC Media World fame has accomplished.

STUNNING RC MICRO BOEING 777-300 NANO LIGHTWEIGHT SCALE MODEL AIRLINER INDOOR FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION (2 min 21 sec)

STUNNING LIGHTWEIGHT 36 GRAM DC-3 NANO SCALE MODEL AIRPLANE FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION (2 min 45 sec)
Apr 08, 2019, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
If I can find one, I’ll convert it to full house using a umx spitfire brick with AS3X. That particular brick is designed to work sitting on its edge, just like the factory receiver. With ailerons, rudder and elevator I won’t even miss the differential thrust. If I can’t find one of those, I’ll design my own setup.
Apr 15, 2019, 09:06 AM
Another micro airliner coming:

https://www.banggood.com/QF008-Boein...r_warehouse=CN
Apr 16, 2019, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
After about 6-7 flights, I go tired of some of the erratic characteristics. The first step was to experiment with CG. I figured it was tail heavy the way it behaved so I added some nose weight. What a difference! Less twitchy, more predictable, it flys much better! I’m going to experiment with different weights and placement just to see the best configuration. Next will be some manual adjustment to the elevator position and we’ll see what happens. I think It needs just a whisper of up reflex, maybe 1mm. That will likely be a tomorrow morning experiment.

Now for the 787, it would be interesting to compare how that one flys. I would hope the controller is better than this one as the resolution is shameful. My old air hogs had better transmitters.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Apr 16, 2019 at 06:59 AM.
Apr 16, 2019, 10:14 AM
I dunno, the 787 transmitter looks kinda crappy, I hope to be able to use my Devo tx with it.
BTW, BG has the 787 on pre-order for $29.99 with free shipping right now.

Do you not have a multi-protocol tx to try with your A380?
The video of the guy flying his with a Jumper tx looks promising, and he has a link to the model file in the description.
Apr 16, 2019, 11:25 AM
Tom Para
@gdenton3 Thanks I have one on order.
Got some of these they fit fine. 7.2gm (original) 9.4gm for the Tattoo 380mah
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Apr 18, 2019, 09:40 AM

WLToys A120 3 Channel RC Flying Scale Model of A380 Airbus Flight Test Review

This is actually a great flying airplane. Fully stabilized and easy to fly, It should be an excellent learn to fly plane for new pilots. Find it here.

And here is its flight demonstration.
WLToys A120 3 Channel RC Flying Scale Model of A380 Airbus Flight Test Review (14 min 35 sec)

Pros
- Great looking flying scale model of the A380 Airbus. Constructed of EPP foam, it's very crash resistant.
- Six axis stabilized for very smooth and stable flying for beginner pilots.
- Three axis flight control with throttle, differential thrust yaw, and elevator pitch control.
- Great outdoor flier, but maneuverable enough to also be flown indoors.
- Good transmitter controller range of over 200 meters.
- Powered by common 3.7V 300mah battery (LoSi connector).

Cons
- Brushed 0720 motors. But they are very common and inexpensive motors. You should easily be able to find replacements if needed.
- Relatively short flight time for a plane at about 7 minutes. But again it uses very common and inexpensive LiPo batteries that can be purchsed to keep you flying.
Apr 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3
Erm interesting Item but for some reason that Web page lights up My malware / security bots like an Xmas tree....
Ooops..it's just typical Banggood "goodness'.
Beyond that this seems as my WL 911 heli was.. fly it a bit/learn it, take it outdoors, learn it again then it's unused ever since... a short attention span toy.
Last edited by Bare; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Apr 18, 2019, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3
I dunno, the 787 transmitter looks kinda crappy, I hope to be able to use my Devo tx with it.
BTW, BG has the 787 on pre-order for $29.99 with free shipping right now.

Do you not have a multi-protocol tx to try with your A380?
The video of the guy flying his with a Jumper tx looks promising, and he has a link to the model file in the description.
I wish I did, it would make things easier.

The plane itself flys great (can fly great at times). The gyro intervention coupled with the crappy transmitter detracts from how well the airframe flys. The problem lies in part with the elevator coupled to the throttle. Add throttle, the elevators automatically snap upward about 2-3 mm. Cutting throttle drops the elevators. Funny thing is when looking close at the plane, the horizontal stabs and elevators are two different thicknesses. One side is thick, the other is thin. Nice quality there... When the elevators snap up, there is so much dead resolution around center with the transmitter, it’s difficult to keep things smooth. The transmitter is sure a stinker. I’m also having to tune the plane’s surfaces because of the lack of any trim settings on the transmitter. Mine wants to track a few degrees right.

This morning I was able to take a test flight after manually setting the elevators up one full turn of the clevis for both sides. The combination of a little nose weight and the corresponding up reflex lessened the tendency to start rocking the wings wildly when at a stall. Basically the tail would drop, the plane would start to drop a wing and the gyro intervention would keep it going straight but wildly rocking the wings. Now, the plane has a reduced tendency to drop the tail or a wing so any gyro intervention isn’t as dramatic. It appears as though the correct solution is going to be to carve a section inside the forward fuse to extend the battery forward, then the nose weight can be removed. I’ll post the CG results when I finish but it should make it more stable at stall.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Apr 25, 2019, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
I’ve done as much tweaking as possible. The plane’s gyro evidently thinks that level is a few degrees down. The only way to make this fly as it should is to be on the sticks 100%. If not, it behaves like an out of trim airplane. Very few times can you be “hands off”. That being said, the rest works great. Next will be landing gear mods, a lighting system and some detaining while I search for a umx spitfire brick with as3x.
Apr 25, 2019, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
I’ve done as much tweaking as possible. The plane’s gyro evidently thinks that level is a few degrees down. The only way to make this fly as it should is to be on the sticks 100%. If not, it behaves like an out of trim airplane. Very few times can you be “hands off”. That being said, the rest works great. Next will be landing gear mods, a lighting system and some detaining while I search for a umx spitfire brick with as3x.
The stabilization gyros on this plane calibrate on binding to the transmitter. Once the plane is turned on, it should to be placed on a flat and level surface before binding. An old drone trick used to game the gyros is to slightly tilt the aircraft while binding/calibration. Maybe try binding while placing the aircraft slightly nose up or slightly nose down to get the desired performance?
Apr 25, 2019, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z
The stabilization gyros on this plane calibrate on binding to the transmitter. Once the plane is turned on, it should to be placed on a flat and level surface before binding. An old drone trick used to game the gyros is to slightly tilt the aircraft while binding/calibration. Maybe try binding while placing the aircraft slightly nose up or slightly nose down to get the desired performance?
I realize that. Already tried different pitches when binding.
Being that the problem is intermittent, there seems to be no way to work around it. I can fly it this way, but shouldn’t have to. At some point, an airplane should be tuned so that if it is flying straight and level, it should stay that way unless acted upon by another force. Either an external force, or the force created by a flight surface, or throttle position. One should be able to take your hands off the stick and not have it immediately snap to a different pitch or yaw. It certainly appears as though a change in radio systems is in order to fix it.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Apr 25, 2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply