Apr 05, 2019, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3
Joe 1320, where did you purchase from and how long did shipping take?
Thanks.
I purchased mine from aliexpress, ordered 3/18 and it arrived 4/3.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2019, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpang
dsm2 by replacing a receiver ?
Yes, DSM2 receiver.
Apr 06, 2019, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Was able to sneak in another flight. There are some additional things worth noting. There is an annoying lack of trim switches or buttons on the transmitter. The only adjustments one can make are manual mechanical adjustments to the elevator. Archaic is the word that comes to mind. Most stalls are flat and stall forward. Heavy elevator use with a little yaw input and it will snap on a stall. It’s also pitch limited, it appears as though the setup only allows about a 45 degree climb rate and won’t allow a loop from level flight. Haven’t checked yet if it will do it from a dive. I doubt it, but will try before converting to a regular DSM2 or DSMX. Takeoffs are long, landings can be greased with elevator use. Sometimes the plane takes a weird set.....occasionally the plane settles into a nose down attitude, elevator use will level it but the instant you release the elevator the nose pitches down again. Then it corrects itself and flys straight and level. It’s like for a short time it wants to do a final approach all on its own. Beyond the annoyances, it will fly reasonably well. In my opinion, the radio setup is trash. A few normal additions like trim buttons would go a long way toward adding real value to the package. So in short....

The plus side:
Flys pretty good most of the time.
Looks good, handy size for travel.
Landing gear work and landings can be greased.
With elevator control, the plane can handle WAY more wind than any of the non elevator equipped models.
Without landing gear, the plane performs quite well!

The minus side:
Trash radio with no trim adjustments.
Expo needed on the elevator but unavailable.
Terrible instructions.
Small capacity lipo really needs another 100MaH, As flight times are a bit short.

In summary, the manufacturer got some things right, but missed some others by a mile. They almost got it right. Swapping receivers and reconfiguring the flight controls would make this a big win. Differential thrust could still be used, but converting it with a true rudder and ailerons would make this the cats arse. Some additional work on more scale looking landing gear could be a win too. This is a great start for the mod inclined.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Apr 07, 2019 at 08:45 AM.
Apr 06, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the update Joe.
This video on YouTube shows a guy using a Jumper T8SG transmitter with DeviationTX nightly build firmware with his.

XK A120 Airbus A380 飛行レビュー (9 min 31 sec)

So do you think belly landing would damage the nacelles?
Last edited by gdenton3; Apr 06, 2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added video link
Apr 06, 2019, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3

So do you think belly landing would damage the nacelles?
Over time, probably. With the C-17 and the others, I hand toss and catch so I don’t do belly flops often. You can most likely get away with it, for how long I don’t know.
Apr 06, 2019, 04:17 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
A bit of a shame then, maybe the next iteration will iron out the wrinkles the c-17 still reigns supreme for now..........

Would still like to see a warbird or two in the same configuration for a bit of "safe" air combat
Apr 06, 2019, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
A bit of a shame then, maybe the next iteration will iron out the wrinkles the c-17 still reigns supreme for now..........

Would still like to see a warbird or two in the same configuration for a bit of "safe" air combat
Yeah, the C-17 a little jewel.

I’m probably being overly critical, after all it’s relatively cheap. I wish the manufacturer who made the C-17 would come out with a similar sized airliner, C-130, and yeah.... a few warbirds for some combat! I’m still going to fly the heck out of this.
Apr 06, 2019, 07:40 PM
Tom Para
I got my plane from Ebay today. 9 days total shipping time. It did appear to ship from California.
There was no tracking from the seller even though there were legit tracking #s on the mailing label..

I was heading to the field when I opened the front door and a grey bag with the A380 inside.
It was in the full retail box ...

I assembled it on the bench and charged up the battery.
The weather was perfect. Maybe 1-2mph out of the East.
Placed the A380 on the asphalt runway and ROG'ed perfect.

The plane flys great.
Has a good flight envelope.
Climbs very nice.
The differential thrust works.
And allows accurate taxing both to and from the runway.
It is very stable and the Gyro works fine..

If I do anything maybe a new radio. Not because of no trims (don't need them) but I am afraid of short range.
I would not fly this with others on the flight line swamping the poor little thing.

A++++

This is a GREAT micro.
When the boys meet you halfway back to the pits even they were impressed.
Apr 07, 2019, 05:07 AM
Wow, this looks like fun. And the prices I'm seeing are pretty sweet.
Apr 07, 2019, 06:28 AM
I just ordered one off eBay.
Apr 07, 2019, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Took three additional flights this morning. The battery compartment is pretty big and it’s at the CG point so it can hold larger lipos or other shaped lipos. I grabbed several of my c-17 lipos and did some flight testing.

Flight 1 with landing gear. Took off from a smooth concrete driveway, takeoff happened quickly within 15 feet.
Flight 2 with gear, asphalt surface with a more bumpy texture. The plane too much longer to get up to speed and lifted off the ground in about 30 ft due to the extra drag on the wheels. Almost looked scale.
Flight 3, gear removed. Such an easy hand launch and what a noticeable difference in performance. Better slow and fast speed, better glide ratio, better looks in the air, and you can plop it down on the grass with no damage due to the elevator control. A little flair at the end and a gentle plop down. There are dual rates and on high rate, loops are possible. Not pretty, but not impossible. I don’t think I want to be looping an airliner though. I prefer more scale flight on something like this. It makes for a nice package with the following exception:

I’ve come to the conclusion the gyro is whacked. At times it flys perfect. Then the gyro decides to feed in down elevator and the plane will fly itself into the ground if you don’t intervene. That sounds silly, but what I discovered is that this radio system also has the elevator going through the gyro. The annoying part is that when it takes that nose down set and you correct the pitch, releasing the elevator makes it immediately take the nose down set again. It behaves like the self leveling system of the umx micros. Only sometimes it thinks level is several degrees off. As an example, I can do a nice left hand pattern though the turn, down the backstretch, make a turn and immediately after exiting the turn it takes a nose down set. No problem..... correct it, release the elevator and it snaps down again. Feed in elevator and climb another 10 feet. Release the elevator and it behaves great for 30 seconds or so and does it again. The resolution of the elevator isn’t the smoothest, so It becomes a bit of a oscillation during the “fight”. This switches back and forth several times during the same flight so it’s not the initial calibration, I tested the elevator centering and it’s not that. The right stick on the transmitter take considerable movement before anything happens and then it kicks in. If you stay on the sticks the entire time and basically not allow much intervention of the gyro, it works acceptable. I would be interested in hearing everyone else’s flight reports on this issue.

At this point I’ll stand by my earlier impression. They almost got it right. I bet converting with a umx brick and AS3X, this plane would be transformed into something that would fly brilliantly. Even a regular receiver and radio programming would make for an interesting flyer. Or.... at the very least, stay on the sticks All the time.

One final note. As an afterthought, I decided to check the CG. Seems to me this is a bit on the tail heavy side. no wonder it’s pitchy.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Apr 07, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Apr 07, 2019, 08:15 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Nothing wrong with being overly critical Joe , its a product and we can only further improvements by highlighting issues.
Apr 07, 2019, 12:40 PM
Tom Para
A look at some of the innards.
The servo is 5 wires so most likely it is a motor and a pot and is not a standard servo so no upgrading here.
The battery is 300mah.
The all-in-one receiver board 2speed controllers a gyro and a servo port.
There is a rectangular hole in the center that is part of the board mounting.
The transmitter has a dipole for an antenna. Nice touch.
I have no idea what the 2 buttons do at the top but they are active.
The transmitters RF board is separate another nice touch.
Thats about all there is to this thing
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Apr 07, 2019 at 01:20 PM.
Apr 07, 2019, 01:48 PM
Tom Para
@Joe 1320 I noticed something that may be a problem.
The twin elevators may be binding up the servo.
On mine, its bending the whole stabilizer. I have also seen it jump position a bit (maybe in a bind and not the gyro)
Things looks pretty fragile back there and I have yet to take any of it apart.
But it could lead to erratic elevator response..just a thought

Also the top right button seems to act like dual rates the led should be blinking when in high rates--
one last note the gyro needs a few second to stabilize.
Soon after turning on the aircraft set it on a stabile level surface. The elevator should kick when the gyro is calibrated.
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Apr 07, 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Apr 07, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
I was looking at the flex. I don’t believe that is the issue in my particular case. I do notice that increasing the throttle, the flight receiver intervenes and adds up elevator. I be somewhere in there it gets confused as to throttle on or throttle off. It’s really odd because sometimes it flys just great, then it feeds in about 3 mm down deflection and wants to descend.

Quick Reply