Sep 20, 2019, 01:16 AM
Thread OP
Randy Reynolds:

Contact Randy Woodbridge. He's got the kits.

Yours, Greg
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 02:43 AM
Hey Greg,
check your private message box on RCgroups!
Thanks,
Randy
Sep 20, 2019, 08:22 AM

1 PuRES V2 & 2 Slite V2 new in box for sale!

Thanks, everyone for asking for my new PuRES V2 & Silte V2 kits!
All kits are now spoken for and I will contact each person in the order that I received there request to buy a kit from me.
Thanks,
Randy
Oct 07, 2019, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
I just got back from Colorado Springs, and had a great time flying my Slite V2 in some challenging conditions.

Winds started pretty strong, but flyable. We flew at a sod farm out on the prairie, and the scenery was spectacular. There was supposed to be a contest, but wiser heads gave it up and went off to lunch, instead. I staid behind with Jay, and we flew some pretty nice air. I started with my Yellow Jacket and the ballast pack, but flew the Slite anyway, and finally realized it was the ship to really use.

No ballast, and the Slite moved into the wind aloft just fine. There was apparently some sort of terrain-derived lift over some trees to the south, and if you could get there, it was like an Otis elevator. As the sun rose higher, there were also thermals, but the wind kept things active. You could get six minutes, but I didn't get six minutes each and every time, that's for sure.

So, I finally got my Slite V2 into some decent wind. Launch was great, but trying to ping off the top risked flutter. Penetration was good-to-excellent, and all at the usual weight. I had little trouble controlling it in the wind for landing.

Yours, Greg
Last edited by glidermang; Oct 11, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
Oct 13, 2019, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
After the windy day in Colorado, I had my Slite v2 in the air yesterday, at the sod farm we will be using for the November contest, the F3RES International.

Very light winds, and severe clear air in all directions. At roughly 0900, we had our first launch, and the Slite simply slid around, down to a landing. After that, though, the lift started working and I had no more issues with soaring.

The good L/D of the new Slite certainly helped. Even the occasional down-wind launches caused by the flukey winds were no issue - just press on out until the first signal, then circle appropriately.

Greg
Oct 22, 2019, 04:16 AM

push rod for Slite

Greg
What pushrods did you use on your V2?
I'm changing my V1 from strings. The distance from servo to contril horn is about 40", and finding rods longer than 36" is not simple.

Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Smith; Oct 22, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 08:35 AM
Here is an option for pushrods. http://www.cstsales.com/a-carbon-fiber-pushrods.html
Oct 22, 2019, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Andrew:

The CST pushrods are a good option, and I have used them in the past with great success.

Currently, I use steel pushrods from Sonoran Laser Arts (Corky Miller, who makes the Yellow Jacket). Not as heavy as you might think. A ship-set comes as a roll of steel wire and a roll of etched teflon tube. The tube sticks instantly to carbon or balsa with thin CA. Tell him you need 40 inches.

The kit-supplied push rods in the Slite v2 are the usual, rather heavy ones that seem universal in Europe.

Good luck.

Greg
Oct 22, 2019, 03:11 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Greg, my 2M push rod wires are 36” K&S .025 #500. The PTFE is on a roll and I can cut any length.

The 3M and 3.5 are 2M long .050 cf rods and PTFE to match.

I do know music wire can be joined and extended, I’m not sure the best way right now. The wires I sent you were 36”
Oct 22, 2019, 09:54 PM
Thread OP
Andrew, Corky:

I deeply apologize. I should have checked with Corky before making my recommendation.

Yours, Greg
Oct 22, 2019, 10:07 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
Andrew, Corky:

I deeply apologize. I should have checked with Corky before making my recommendation.

Yours, Greg
Your good Greg, and yes the tubing sticks great. I am curious though if you used my wires in the Slite? Were they long enough or did you lengthen them? I built some Skybench kits years ago and I seem to recall I had the join some wire, maybe on a Skybird. My memory is vaque on this but I seem to recall maybe a Dubro sleeve. I'm sure it could be accomplished various ways and be fine.

Here's the thing, I have plenty of these wires but the shipping is a bit of a challenge. The Ace Hardware near me stocks them. I don't get them there but it's something to consider. The PTFE can easily go in a first class envelope and ship cheap. My website probably calculates it too high but I fix it before it's actually processed.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM.
Oct 22, 2019, 11:11 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
If you are using 0.025 inch, get some stainless fishing leader in that size. I used it for cutting bows and for push rods. I will edit this post tomorrow with the brand name.

BP
Oct 23, 2019, 02:04 AM

Albion Alloys Piano Wire 0.8mm x 1000mm

Hey everyone!
So I have the same problem with the piano wire in the PURES V2 & Slite kits as well- So this is what I did-
Here's where I buy my piano wire from.
https://www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/metals/albion-alloys-piano-wire-0$38mm-x-1000mm-pack-of-6.

It's cheap- 5.00 Eur a pack- but good stuff!

Randy Woodbridge
Oct 23, 2019, 03:18 AM
R W
You appear to be headed in the rite direction
Of course everyone makes there own experience.

The pull wires are a chore to deal with for a lot.

The spring needed is another chore.

Shipping can be over the top, 1 M long tubes or boxes I'd hate to look, Some suppliers don't understand the materials and how far they can bend them

1 M length is needed for the Euro Models.

Splicing can work, but flex needs to be considered and where there's a splice there's no tube

Small CF rod, well how tite will CST roll it, and of course you need to watch the Column Strength it will buckle and snap in compression

with this whole Pushrod subject, I like to have adjustability as well, EZ connector , the real smallest one is fine , though replacing the screw with a set screw will give more room.

The Recent Pure S kits use Music wire .8 x 1 M long, EZ connectors at the servo, and a L bend with retainer tube and a bit of CA works at the rudder vators, though If you need to remove these then more of a Challenge

I'd also bet that some .8 mm MW is a different alloy then others

Buyer beware

whacker

in the dark Waughs River Valley
Oct 23, 2019, 04:42 AM
No problem, Greg.

I found some on Banggood.
https://m.banggood.com/Diameter-0_4m...l?rmmds=search

It isn't supposed to arrive til Nov 14, and my last Banggood order went walkabout for 2 months after the estimated delivery date. So I'm still looking just in case.

We are getting close to the end of the histart season here in Nova Scotia Canada...they dont work so great in the cold and snow. It would be nice get her rerigged and make sure she'll fly without issue.

I'm in the midst of repairs as there was major flutter in the tail and loss of control on Monday.

I had replaced the pull string/spring setup with carbon rods. Not sure if the trouble was them flexing on a 8 lb launch( seemed fine on hand tosses and a "half strength" histart launch). Never had a tail issue with the spring setup. I hated the non-adjustability of the string setup.

Andrew

Quick Reply