MetaFly RC Ornithopter

The MetaFly is a new RC Ornithopter project that is currently listed on Kickstarter. It looks like an insect and flys by flapping its wings and other moveable surfaces.

Splash

Giant Kickstarter Project

The MetaFly is a new RC Ornithopter project that is currently listed on Kickstarter. It looks like an insect and flys by flapping its wings and other moveable surfaces. It can be flown both indoors and outdoors and utilizes a 2.4Ghz radio system for control. You can expect flight times up to 8 minutes and quick charge times under 15 minutes. The wings are flexible and MetaFly has bumpers on the front and back to protect the body so it should hold up well to crashes.

The kickstarter project started with a modest goal, just shy of $34,000. They have far exceeded that goal with nearly half a million dollars pledged so far and over a month still to go. EarlyBird order at $78 just ended, but the regular kickstarter version will be $89. There's also upgrade kits available with a spare set of wings in a different trim scheme so you can change up the look. Kickstarter backed units are expected to start shipping in September.

Check out the MetaFly RC Ornithopter Here

Mar 18, 2019, 12:19 PM
Yes
It looks fascinating! I ordered one.
Mar 20, 2019, 07:41 AM
Front Yard Flyer
I did too. Love the flapping flight toys, but the SK parkhawk wont fly in the house or around the front yard, so this will fill the gap.
Mar 26, 2019, 11:23 AM
Kicking Tires
I've always been fascinated by ornithopters! I advised a collegiate team developing one of these years ago and it reminded me just how impossibly complex the mechanism seemed.

I just ordered one of these. It's important to support innovation like this, even if V1 isn't perfect. Best of luck to the project organizers.
Mar 29, 2019, 07:57 PM
Yes
I just got an update. They achieved their goal and more. They are making parts and hint at early delivery.

Quick Reply