Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 13, 2019, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Interesting Idea from Europe

Yesterday, March 12, 2019 the European Commission approved new categories of UAS. If you are a traditional aircraft/helo flier, there is a refreshing take on how to separate these aircraft from drones. Essentially it prohibits the use of automatic control modes. -Think autopilot with waypoints. But in exchange you can fly to your heart's content like you used to. All you need is an information card from the manufacturer as specified by the regulation. This is soo smart!

Oh yeah. No registration requirement!

Quote: "It is only mandatory to register a UA that is certified, which means that the UA has been provided with a certificate of airworthiness (CofA) attesting that it conforms to a type certificate issued in accordance with Annex I (Part 21) to Regulation EU (No) 748/201220. The use of a certified UA is not required for operations in the ‘open’ category, while for operations in the ‘specific’ category, a CofA for a UA may
be required in some situations in order to mitigate the risks identified by the risk assessment."

Quote: "For UAS in class C4, a new requirement has been added to forbid automatic control modes. The rationale is to separate UA that are mostly used for leisure purposes or for pleasure flights (what we mostly know as model aircraft) from those that allow more automatic functions, where the payload (usually the camera) is the centre of interest. It is recognised that imposing functions such as lost link management or height limitation on model aircraft would require the UA to be equipped with sophisticated flight control systems that most of time would alter the nature of model aircraft. Therefore, forbidding automatic control modes will allow class C4 UAS to deal with model aircraft and limit the technical requirements imposed on them (Appendix 5, containing the technical requirements for UAS in class C4, only requires manufacturers to provide documentation). All other UA will be classified as class C3, on which additional technical requirements are imposed."
Last edited by kdunlap; Mar 13, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2019, 09:13 PM
Interesting indeed. It is nice to see a government agency using some common sense.

I see that housing in parts of the EU is quite reasonable too!
Mar 13, 2019, 09:17 PM
Team Futaba
I have been saying this from Day One. If the AMA had adopted this approach and worked as hard to draw this line as they did to embrace the drone folks I think we would be in a different situation right now.

And their failure continues. What was the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" is not the "Special Exemption for Recreational sUAS."

In the USA model airplanes are now completely lumped in with Phantom quads, etc.
Mar 13, 2019, 10:53 PM
So can you provide documentation on a scratch built model?
Mar 13, 2019, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So can you provide documentation on a scratch built model?
Looks like privately built have no restrictions or documentation requirements.
Mar 13, 2019, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Looks like privately built have no restrictions or documentation requirements.
What about a Global ARF? The company closed a few years ago.
Mar 13, 2019, 11:22 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
tell em it is scratch built, how are they gona know...
Mar 13, 2019, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
tell em it is scratch built, how are they gona know...
I doubt we will be able to in the US. Not unless Amazon decides drones are not profitable.
Mar 14, 2019, 03:20 AM
Whilst it is, for now, draft regulation it probably will be adopted although Member States can impose their own regulations etc etc.

Whilst a boon to club based flyers of slower model planes(19ms) the text seems to indicate that flights will be limited to the fields of authorised clubs and I am concerned by the noise limits which equate to 60db at 3m. How does that affect internal combustion engines, small turbines and even some electric wings?

Still if you fly scale electric aircraft at a club field you should be OK...........
Mar 14, 2019, 03:58 AM
It does seem a good idea to me to make a distinction between "model aircraft" that must be flown manually and "drones" that include automatic flight modes.

To dodge any stricter rules to do with automatic flight modes I would consider disconnecting servos from flight controllers and connecting directly to receivers instead. This would still give me a camera with OSD info - but I suspect I could still be restricted just for having a camera or FC on the plane.

And of course the Brexit fiasco could make this all academic for Brits anyway.
Mar 14, 2019, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer
And of course the Brexit fiasco could make this all academic for Brits anyway.
Or not as the case may be. In or out of the EU alignment will be fairly common practice for the CAA and the current draft allows latitude to member states anyway where the regulations are of no lesser levels than those proposed
Mar 14, 2019, 08:39 AM
Earth-bound misfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
I am concerned by the noise limits which equate to 60db at 3m. How does that affect internal combustion engines, small turbines and even some electric wings?

Still if you fly scale electric aircraft at a club field you should be OK...........
Wow, 60 dB is unattainable. The background noise that we experience is louder than that, usually noise measurements begin at the 65 dB threshold. 80 dB would be more reasonable, protecting most electrics, but glow engines would be out of the picture for good. And 80 dB at 3 meters is 65 dB at 48 meters. Who flies a plane 3 meters from their head?
Mar 14, 2019, 08:49 AM
I did not catch the link to the document at first and reading this I see no exclusion for scratch built model aircraft. In fact apparently this was not even thought of for this document for the following reasons.

1. Must have some sort of certification from manufacture. They are clearly thinking of fully built drones.

2. Altitude limit of 120 meters. I believe there is already exceptions in Europe for giant models?

3. Weight limit of 25 Kilo: Presently there are some very large models in Europe. I recall seeing a video of a half scale D3 Triplane doing 3D maneuvers

4. Sound level of 60 DB. Clearly this is an electric quad. Single motor electric aircraft are much less than this, but IC engine could never meet this.

IMO another example of bureaucrats regulating something they have no knowledge of other than their very recent research.
Mar 14, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac428
Wow, 60 dB is unattainable. The background noise that we experience is louder than that, usually noise measurements begin at the 65 dB threshold. 80 dB would be more reasonable, protecting most electrics, but glow engines would be out of the picture for good. And 80 dB at 3 meters is 65 dB at 48 meters. Who flies a plane 3 meters from their head?
Um to answer the last, me on a couple of accidental occasions. I blame hat-cams
Mar 14, 2019, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac428
I confess I may have misspoken on sound levels. Whilst 60db at 3m is the requirement for two classes of UA (yes the EU are using UA as a general term)which classes they are is not made clear in the text of this document which mixes and matches terms without any real clarity........

Best I can offer is that everyone with genuine involvement in EU regs needs to look at this with great care (and probably sundry reference books to hand).

The positives highlighted in the OP seem to be equally (if not more) balanced by negatives though

Quick Reply