Aug 25, 2019, 08:21 PM
I could not find where to download the trial version, I have version 7 and I do not want to buy version 8 until I download the trial version and I’m not sure that this purchase makes sense, where can I download the trial version?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScaleFly
I could not find where to download the trial version, I have version 7 and I do not want to buy version 8 until I download the trial version and I’m not sure that this purchase makes sense, where can I download the trial version?
I don't think that there is a trial or demo version of RC8. Maybe have a look at the Ikarus shop for purchase info. Looks like you can buy RC8 as an upgrade from RC7 . Price depends on which version of RC7 you currently have;

https://shop.ikarus.net/en/132-aeroflyrc8-the-new

I have RC8 and love it, esp. in VR with my Oculus Rift. I've never owned RC7 so I'm not sure if there is a big difference, except for RC8 VR capability.

BTW I also have Realflight 8 and it works fine as well. RF9 has now come out and you can get a combo with new Spektrum Interlink DX controller. I use the Interlink Elite controller form RF7.5 and it works very well with RC8.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...realflight%209
Last edited by TomC; Aug 25, 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Aug 26, 2019, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
BTW I also have Realflight 8 and it works fine as well. RF9 has now come out and you can get a combo with new Spektrum Interlink DX controller. I use the Interlink Elite controller form RF7.5 and it works very well with RC8.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...realflight%209
Thanks for info about RF9. Altough it looks like nothing new there, it's just Horizon Hobby putting its brands into it. I now have Blade tents on each 3D map in RF8 I hope they don't screw this sim..
Aug 26, 2019, 03:31 AM
I do not want to buy a pig in a poke. Version 7 has become worse than the fifth, you canít repaint the models, you canít change the engine mowing angle, the most necessary thing is impossible. I want to understand if version 8 is worth it to pay for it at least 1 cent before buying it. That is why I am looking for a demo.
Sep 07, 2019, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaz44
Thanks for info about RF9. Altough it looks like nothing new there, it's just Horizon Hobby putting its brands into it. I now have Blade tents on each 3D map in RF8 I hope they don't screw this sim..
I got the RC9 combo with the new Spektrum InterLink DX controller a couple of days ago and I'm very happy with this purchase. I had the original RF8 (not HH version) and was using a RF7.5 Interlink Elite controller. The new Interlink DX controller is a very nice upgrade for RF9 but I would not recommend it with RF8 because of some channel mapping issues. I mentioned this RF support and got a pretty quick reply about this;

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...9&postcount=48

The new InterLink DX controller works great with RC8 btw. It also works great with X-Plane 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScaleFly
I do not want to buy a pig in a poke. Version 7 has become worse than the fifth, you canít repaint the models, you canít change the engine mowing angle, the most necessary thing is impossible. I want to understand if version 8 is worth it to pay for it at least 1 cent before buying it. That is why I am looking for a demo.
Well there is no RC8 free demo available so I guess you will not be buying it, lol! I think it may be available later this year on Steam so you may be able to give it a go then and if you don't like it, get a refund. I've found Steam to be very good/fast at refunds as long as you follow their refund policy;

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
Sep 13, 2019, 02:55 AM

Aero RC8 - disappointingly inaccurate

I've used RC simulators for many years. I've flown RC helicopters and fixed wing for a lot longer. The physics for helicopters in Aerofly RC8 is absolutely dreadful which is one of the reasons they probably pulled the plug on the trial as the graphics and marketing do a pretty good job of selling it. If you are looking to use a simulator for fun, it's great, but the feel of the helicopters is not good at all. Reflex XTR2, Phoenix and even earlier versions of RF are superior in this respect. If you are into larger scale helicopters it gets even worse, they are not even close to the real thing; feeling lofty with a floating feel of smoothness that isn't apparent on real helis. You can tinker with torque, rotor diameters, weights, pirouette rates, cyclic ranges, servo speeds etc, but the feel remains the same. If you are looking to learn helicopter skills that are adaptive and can be translated to the field, this is not for you. It will teach you some orientation skills but all of those small inconsistencies noticed in the real world are not present here and give an absolute false representation of the actual feel of a pod and boom or scale heli. For example, you cannot in the real world pivot a 15kg heli on a single front skid consistently like a spin top, you cannot land on grass at 50mph and skid for 30 meters. Annoyed at having spent £185 on a download when others I've used are streets ahead in their physics and cost less.
Sep 13, 2019, 04:20 AM
The good thing about an open forum like this is that everyone is welcome to provide their opinions. While I disagree with just about everything noted in the previous post I respect this person’s right to express these.

Overall I think that RC8 is a very good rc simulator, especially in VR. It has had quite a few updates and now seems to me very stable. I am currently using the Vulkan demo ( just requires a simple mod in one line of the base configuration file to make vulkan=true). This further improves the sims graphics and FPS.

RC sims in VR are just about as close (but no cigar) as you can get to a realistic experience. You do need a fairly powerful PC to do this. I have a custom gaming PC with i9 9900k oc to 5ghz and water cooled, gtx 1080ti, 32 Gb 3000 ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors).

I have used just about all rc sims over the past 20 years and have actually flown 3d planes and heli’s for the same length of time. While there are plus/minuses for all rc sims the main thing is that they are all useful to help develop thumb/finger muscles memory. Nothing more than that and real training can only be accomplished at the flying field imho.
Last edited by TomC; Sep 13, 2019 at 06:58 AM.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:30 PM
I am having difficulty getting Aerofly 7 and Aerofly 8 on my MacBook working with the new Spectrum Interlink DX. Only a few buttons for control and all the normal switches don't function? Also the trim for the 2 joysticks do not function. For example you can not trim the motor to reduce it from taxiing! DO you have any experience with other controllers? The Aerofly 5 Game-commander does not work on Aerofly 8.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy55
I am having difficulty getting Aerofly 7 and Aerofly 8 on my MacBook working with the new Spectrum Interlink DX. Only a few buttons for control and all the normal switches don't function? Also the trim for the 2 joysticks do not function. For example you can not trim the motor to reduce it from taxiing! DO you have any experience with other controllers? The Aerofly 5 Game-commander does not work on Aerofly 8.
Not sure about the Mac-thing but all RF Interlink controllers trims have never worked with Aerofly 7/8, or any other rc sim. This is because RF has never released info for other developers to use these. If you properly setup and calibrate your controller you should not need trims anyway imho.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:52 PM

More on Aerofly 5 and 7

This all started with me with Aerofly 5 and the GameCommander controller.
All was well, then after several years new Mac OS's stopped supporting Aerofly 5.
Now with Mac OS 10.14 Mojave, I have loaded Aerofly 7 and it works well with the old GameCommander controller.
You can use the trims and keep the plane from taxiing and trim the rudder etc.
I can not get the new Interlink DX Simulator controller to work the trims.

Aerofly is supposed to work with USB joystick controllers...
I am starting to think the Interlink DX only works with Windows PCs. Ugh!
Sep 18, 2019, 12:06 AM
Again, you cannot utilise trims with any RF Interlink controllers with anything except with RF3 to 9. Most everything else should work fine.

I have an Aerofly controller and trims work fine with Win10, probably Mac as well. Too bad it's such a poor, cheaply made controller (lots of slop and limited channels).
Sep 18, 2019, 08:10 AM

Does Spectrum WS1000 dongle work on Mac OS?

Since I can not get the Spectrum InterLink DX Simulator Controller to fully work with Aerofly 7 or 8 on a Mac OS,...

I would like to hear from others who have used a wireless dongle such as the Spectrum Wireless Simulator Dongle SPM WS1000.

Can this dongle be made to work with a DX9 transmitter to fully run Aerofly 7or8 on a Mac OS? (Not a Windows PC.)

I would like to fly on a simulator with the same switch and joystick control as I do when I am out flying.
Last edited by freddy55; Sep 18, 2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: fix a typo
Oct 06, 2019, 05:11 PM
BackBurner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F430spider
I've used RC simulators for many years. I've flown RC helicopters and fixed wing for a lot longer. The physics for helicopters in Aerofly RC8 is absolutely dreadful which is one of the reasons they probably pulled the plug on the trial as the graphics and marketing do a pretty good job of selling it. If you are looking to use a simulator for fun, it's great, but the feel of the helicopters is not good at all. Reflex XTR2, Phoenix and even earlier versions of RF are superior in this respect. If you are into larger scale helicopters it gets even worse, they are not even close to the real thing; feeling lofty with a floating feel of smoothness that isn't apparent on real helis. You can tinker with torque, rotor diameters, weights, pirouette rates, cyclic ranges, servo speeds etc, but the feel remains the same. If you are looking to learn helicopter skills that are adaptive and can be translated to the field, this is not for you. It will teach you some orientation skills but all of those small inconsistencies noticed in the real world are not present here and give an absolute false representation of the actual feel of a pod and boom or scale heli. For example, you cannot in the real world pivot a 15kg heli on a single front skid consistently like a spin top, you cannot land on grass at 50mph and skid for 30 meters. Annoyed at having spent £185 on a download when others I've used are streets ahead in their physics and cost less.
Thanks for an honest review, you more than summed up what I suspected and thought from looking at some of the available advertising.

The physics are most important for what I am after so will wait till things improve in that area at least.

Quick Reply