Mar 12, 2019, 02:54 AM
wov
wov
Thread OP
Build Log

Flite Test FT Corsair Build Log

Hi Scratchbuilders,

I have been clicking this reload button for the last weeks and finally the plans of the FT Corsair for us scratchbuilders are available. I have to start immediately and I started with the spars. I am going to mill them from 2.5 mm plywood. But first, the pdf needed to be digitized. You can download the Fusion 360 and DXF files of the spars here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6qk452b5y...ywood.zip?dl=0

main spar length: 582 mm
secondary spar length: 446 mm

Wolfgang
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2019, 05:32 PM
wov
wov
Thread OP
I started with the fuselage while I am waiting for the plywood to be delivered. First, of course was printing and taping the plans, which I got printed on an A3 (B size) color laser, which helps quite a bit. I never cut all parts before starting the build as I find it way too boring. Usually I only cut the parts I need for the next step. Starting the fuselage at the front is a great idea by John as the sections get more and more difficult from front to rear. The first two cowling parts are really easy to bend and glue.

The two most important things for this build are a good knife and patience. The parts fit perfect. Just look at the Former F with the rectangular hole in the center inside the cowling. This was the first fit without removing any material. When I cut the paper templates, I focused on cutting the printed black lines in half, then cut the foam parts exactly on the edge of the paper template. It takes time, but I am sure the parts come out nicer than with the laser as the foam and paper are the same size after the cut.

This is the result of the first few hours.
Mar 13, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the spar files. Looks like you are off to a good start.
Mar 14, 2019, 01:26 AM
wov
wov
Thread OP
2D milling of the spars (files in my first post) and cutting of all fuselage formers was next
Mar 15, 2019, 03:18 AM
wov
wov
Thread OP
spar skeleton is done

Quick Reply