Mar 21, 2019, 10:16 PM

Vault V770

Eitan, my case arrived today. I went with the Pelican Vault V770. For $150 US, itís really solid with some nice features. Internal dimensions are 50x10x6 inches. Since I only have two DLGs with 2 piece wings, this should work nicely as checked luggage.

Iím not sure yet if Iíll cut the foam for a custom fit, or leave out the foam and do the coroplast box method with bubble wrap and chunks of foam. I might do the latter so I can make room for my 1M Go Mini. I donít fly until next month, so I have some time to experiment before I start slicing foam.

Overall, in my slightly experienced opinion, I think the Sport Tube option works great for one piece wings, and a quality rifle case would be the best option for two piece setups. Thomas has a few posts about how he flies with his 2p Bamfs. I forget what Pelican case he uses, but Iím sure heíll be happy to tell you.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2019, 12:44 AM
Is there a combination of L+W+H that equals 62 inches to accommodate 2 piece wings and not have over-sized luggage .
Mar 22, 2019, 01:25 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensoar
Is there a combination of L+W+H that equals 62 inches to accommodate 2 piece wings and not have over-sized luggage .
In the first post of this thread Eitan posted pictures of my personal box that fits 5(!) Vortex 3 models or 3 models plus some personal gear and is below the oversized luggage limit.
Internal dimensions in cm are 107+20+25 cm
Mar 22, 2019, 04:11 PM
AERO+
Crazy light and strong. Never has problems and itís my chair on the field.
Mar 23, 2019, 11:15 AM
Nick, you’re the Hunter S. Thompson of the glider community.
Mar 24, 2019, 07:20 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbox
Crazy light and strong. Never has problems and itís my chair on the field.
A nickbox box
Apr 21, 2019, 02:22 PM
I thought Iíd post to this relevant thread instead of starting a new one.

Iíve used the painters tape on the elevator method in the past, but only for a short trip. If it sits like this for five days, will the spring tension warp the thin carbon at all? Even slightly?
Apr 21, 2019, 09:22 PM
I use a piece of styrofoam to make a holder for the horizontal stab the keeps it supported at a right angle and also protects all the edges. a couple of pins through the screw holes keep it in place. It won't lay flat like taping, but it's not really any bigger than a fuse pod so it's easy to pack.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMaxwell
I thought Iíd post to this relevant thread instead of starting a new one.

Iíve used the painters tape on the elevator method in the past, but only for a short trip. If it sits like this for five days, will the spring tension warp the thin carbon at all? Even slightly?
Shouldn't be a problem. I've had some tails done up like that in the past with no twisting problems. Careful when peeling off the tape, although 5 days shouldn't be an issue.
Apr 22, 2019, 12:16 AM
If I was going to put 5 high end DLG's in one box, then fly across the ocean and pay for lodging, all based on the use of those DLG's at a contest, I'd consider investing heavily in a really good box. Hopefully hobnail boot proof. Like, maybe kevlar/epoxy or carbon/kevlar/epoxy with some kind of relatively tough core (end grain balsa?) The nice thing about kevlar is that it tends to crinkle rather than just snap.
I might try to figure out how to have some compression struts where possible, in order to keep opposite sides apart. And how to join the edges when closed.
I'd also give some thought to how the box could be re-closed easily but properly after inspection by a TSA goon.
Not a trivial design problem, and not cheap, or quick to make, but lots of dough is at stake.
Apr 22, 2019, 07:22 AM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
Quote:

I’ve used the painters tape on the elevator method in the past, but only for a short trip. If it sits like this for five days, will the spring tension warp the thin carbon at all? Even slightly?
A lot of us just keep the tails on our DLGs at all times. So if it was going to warp the tail for a trip like you have it taped to that foam then wouldn't it do the same while sitting on the plane for months (or years) at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
If I was going to put 5 high end DLG's in one box, then fly across the ocean and pay for lodging, all based on the use of those DLG's at a contest, I'd consider investing heavily in a really good box.
I thorughly enjoy your work in the Hotels.com commercials, Lincoln.

Ryan
Apr 22, 2019, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
A lot of us just keep the tails on our DLGs at all times. So if it was going to warp the tail for a trip like you have it taped to that foam then wouldn't it do the same while sitting on the plane for months (or years) at a time?
Not necessarily. I too keep my DLGs assembled almost all year round. In that case, spring tension is being held on the control horn, centered and at the thicker part of the elevator where it was designed to be. With the tape, itís spread around a bit, but also puts tension on the trailing edge of the elevator where the carbon is at its very thinnest. Hence my curiosity and concern, for I hate learning bone headed lessons with expensive gliders.

Since I have a few days before my flight, Iíll try the foam wedge method that was also suggested and see how that fits in my kit.

As always, thank you guys for the helpful 411.
Apr 22, 2019, 08:46 AM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
Quote:
Not necessarily. I too keep my DLGs assembled almost all year round. In that case, spring tension is being held on the control horn, centered and at the thicker part of the elevator where it was designed to be. With the tape, itís spread around a bit, but also puts tension on the trailing edge of the elevator where the carbon is at its very thinnest.
I guess that is a decent point. If you were super concerned about it and you still wanted to keep the elevator flat like that you could make yourself 2 pieces of wood or dense foam or whatever that runs from the trailing edge to the leading edge of the stab that you then either tape to the control horn or use pins and then the forces would be the same as if you had the tail on the plane. And it would have a bit of added benefit of protecting the horn and preventing it from pushing up against any wing surface or whatever and denting anything.

Ryan

Quick Reply