Mar 14, 2019, 12:10 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensoar
What are the best dimensions for avoiding oversized charges.
The box in the first post is under 156cm L+H+W and can hold 5 two piece wing Vortex 3 models or 3 models plus equipment. It complies with normal baggage sizes.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2019, 01:59 AM
Plywood is ok for a smallish box if you want to make the box yourself. Saves money, too. Just use good (Finnish ;-) ) aviation grade wood. 3 mm thick ply with corners and end of the box strengthened, outer end corners with metal corner guards. Lid hinged and with locks. We made a box like this for me when we entered the first F3J champs near Birmingham. Slightly bigger than what you need, for three Ellipse F3J gliders. Can post photos of it you want,still have the box.

If you have free flight people around ask them for advice, the competitive ones are seasoned contest goers and because of that need to have good/light/cheap to transport boxes. F1A boxes must be near what you need. If people not found nearby, you might be able to contact them through net or through your local aeronautical association.

Tommy
Mar 14, 2019, 07:46 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
pictures would be awesome Tommy
Latest blog entry: cr
Mar 14, 2019, 08:05 AM
Aurora Builder
There are some beautiful boxes/cases in here, all of which would certainly work for a few trips at least.

Tommy is right regarding plywood, but the issue is finding good quality ply and even this can get dinged up quite easily by baggage handlers etc. Its pretty easy to punch the side walls of the box and eitanro is right to be concerned about weight, wood is heavy. Coroplast isn't a forever solution either but it tends to flex a little bit vs. get punctured so should hold up a little better.

Eitanro, one thought is to find what you need in the U.S and pick it up at a contest or use a freight forwarder if you can't get what you need north of the border.
Mar 14, 2019, 10:39 AM
You might find that honey comb type plastic material, coroplast at Vistaprint. I know they use it for yard signs as I just purchased a few. I think they are in the Netherlands and ship world wide.
Mar 14, 2019, 12:42 PM
Coroplast is a good material for boxes. Light and strong. 5 mm thick would be ok for a small box, We have made boxes for F3J and F5J planes from it, using 5 mm and 8 mm thicknesses. You can make the whole box (lid included) from just one sheet by first planning carefully, cutting off everything that is not needed and then bending the box. Flutes running lengthwise on long sides. I doubled the ends on mine, gluing extra plates with flutes running crosswise to the bent ends. I also glued some extra pieces on the floor and sides to resist chrushing, flutes crosswise also here. Gluing done with contact cement (Uhu Por), otherwise the the box holding its shape and form by gaffers tape.
Mar 14, 2019, 02:08 PM
Eitan. I’m also researching this so I’ll be following your thread as well. I’m only transporting two DLGs with 2 piece wings. I was planning on going the sport tube route, but I might reconsider and do the rifle case method. Now that my second DLG has arrived, I’ll do some measuring and math and probably more measuring.

Here’s a link to a Pelican page. I’ve never flown with DLGs, but from my years traveling with motion picture cameras, I’m a big fan of Pelican.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/gun-cases
Mar 14, 2019, 02:13 PM
Aurora Builder
For a two piece DLG, I wonder if something like this would work well?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Wea...coomph-20&th=1
Mar 14, 2019, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
For a two piece DLG, I wonder if something like this would work well?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Wea...coomph-20&th=1
It depends on if itís rated for air travel. If it doesnít say, I usually assume that itís not.
Mar 14, 2019, 08:17 PM
Sportube 3. Often find them cheaper near ski resorts at the tail end of ski season. Like this

Sportube ski container https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54226512

Have someone local pick up and ship to you. Cheaper than new
Mar 15, 2019, 12:06 AM
In F3J size does matter!
I looked at the Plano 42” gin case. If the advertised length is correct, it should fit a couple of Vortex 3 DLG’s. I was planning on ordering but was told that the real life dimensions may be a bit shorter and then the rudder might not fit. If you can find one locally you can measure before buying it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192270069722
Mar 15, 2019, 12:45 AM
I ordered a Plano bow case from Walmart for $59. Will fit 2pc Vortex DLGs with fuse set in corner to corner.
Mar 15, 2019, 01:21 AM
Here are cutting instructions to a coroplast box made from one big sheet. As you can see from the dimensions it was meant for a F3J/F5J planes. This one had a separate lid, which we later dispensed with. Instead make the lid as part of the construction, widen one long side with the size of the lid. The lid part should be slightly longer at both ends and maybe also slightly wider and cut to size when the box has been taped up. End flaps on the long sides should be about half the width, so that the end of the box has doubled wall. End flaps glued with contact cement, otherwise everything just bent and then taped up. Easy to do on long bends with flutes running lengthwise, all the other bends tend to get chrushed. Have a friend with you when bending, makes life easier. We used 5 mm thick material even for these big boxes, plenty strong.

Used to have these boxes, but got rid of them so no photos available.
Instructions drawn by Aaro.

I did some strengthening on my boxes. I cut pieces from the left over parts and glued them on the sides and bottom, crossgrain with flutes running 90 degrees to the bent pieces. On one box I also used sort of inverted |_| shaped removeable pieces, put in under the lid after packing. Flutes running lengthwise so the sides pointing down would resist chrushing from up/down and the part running crosswise resisting chrushing from sides. Not necessarily needed, nobody else did these....

Tommy

P.S. Those Pelican cases look really sturdy. Neat, too.
Last edited by Tommy Wee; Mar 15, 2019 at 08:37 AM.
Mar 15, 2019, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Very good informantion guys.
Thank you all for the input.
Mar 16, 2019, 10:58 AM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
The box itself is meant to hold 5 Vortex 2 piece wing models, similar to whag Roy Dor did for his model box in the attached pictures.
Eitan,

Personally for a 2 piece model I would go with a wooden box. You can build a box that fits 2 piece DLGs nicely and is still slightly under the 62 combined inches requirement for "standard size" luggage. I have travelled twice to Europe with such a box and haven't had any problems (knock on wood for the future). I drill little holes on the sides and use eye bolts in the holes and then for a strap for carrying around the box I use a laptop bag strap. When I get to the luggage check desk I take the bolts and strap off and put that in my carry on luggage. Then when I get to my destination and pickup the luggage from the luggage carosel I put the bolts and strap back on and I am all set to carry the box to the rental car, train, bus, etc.

Best of luck,

Ryan

Quick Reply