Sep 10, 2019, 02:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jointer
I can tell 45C Hyperions from year around 2011 (G3 probably) lasted around 270-300 cycles in my heli. (4x 6S 4200mAh as 2x 12S stick packs)
They were puffy and with some cells weak after that number of cycles. Lasted 3-4x times longer then cheap packs.
I have a friend which is flying the same packs (light acrobatics only) still today, that is 8 or more years, they have about 100 cycles.
They are not puffy yet, but i also do not know their state - we did not done any IR or capacity tests recently. They will probably last few more years.

They were packs from the few first batches (bought as soon as they were available on the market), we were lucky to get that, because i do know pilots who swear that there was later a different batch which was not as good as before.
The price was OK for the time, above average, but not expensive.

I currently use about 5 years old Revolectrix 16S 60C Diamond 3200mAh (Henseleit TDR), they are flat, running cool, but their IR has risen to 70-80mOhm per cell.
50 cycles on them (i do not fly much).
They were the only packs i ever had which delivered rated capacity on test discharge.

I am considering going back to 12S (more options) next year, but the G8 are much more expensive then expected and i am afraid the story about quality can repeat again. There are signs at this thread it might happen again...
We've improved upon G3 since 2011, and we still sell the G3 chemistry, it's called G5. Its our economy line of our batteries avaiable at Hyperion-World.com

Regarding any quality issues with G8; it's not possible. Initially there was one small batch on particular size cell, but it's all been resolved and sorted out. Plus, we have a one year warranty on G8, so there's nothing to worry.

Hyperion has been around twenty years, and has been selling G8 chemistry for over a year. It's proven.

www.Lindinger.at has G8 stock in EU
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Sep 11, 2019 at 04:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 06:26 PM
HyperionRocks I sometimes fly a bit hard power loops and hurricanes with my helicopters. Which can pull a lot of Amps. Why did you drop the G7 1820mah 6S 70C lipos, and replaced it with a G8 1820mah 6S 30C lipo? Most lipo companies are going for higher C rating as much as possible, but you guys gone the opposite way and dropped the C rating? 30C? seriously??

Please bring back the G7 1820mah 6S 70C lipos. I really don't mind at all if they are just standard lipos and not dual voltage or high voltage, as long as it is high C rating please, as I don't want my lipos to puff. I really don't care for DV or LIHV or even graphenes. Especially graphenes which is supposed to be one of the lightest materials on the planet, but most of the high performance graphenes I see is huge and massively overweight. How does that even work? I want a lightweight high performance and long lasting standard lipo. If you can do that I would be so grateful.

Thank you
Last edited by gimbleguy; Sep 14, 2019 at 06:43 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
The G8 6s 1820mah was only offered in the 60Cmax rate, it was not offered in 70Cmax formula.

When we released the G7 series we were trying to popularize a new C-rate standard system called "Cmax", to try help standardize the industry so consumers could avoid other companies that inflate their fake C-rates. We've since discontinued the G7 and the terminology "Cmax" because the term "Cmax" was too complicated and never caught on.

Basically, Cmax = Continuous C-Rate for 100% rated capacity delivery is 1/2 C-Max rate. So, essentially your G7 60Cmax battery is actually a 30C continuous c-rate cell. We specifically state the continuous c- ratings in all our battery products descriptions. With the new G8 series we decided to resort back to the normal C-rate (continuous C) system. So, our G8 and G7 1820mah are both actually a 30C. (1/2Cmax = 100% Continuous C-rate)

Furthermore, the G8 1820mah 30C is specifically designed to fit T-rex Helis, so it's very difficult to make a pack with higher C-rate without making it larger, then it wouldn't fit properly. Though, the G8's do have a much much lower IR, and are about 8% lighter-weight than the G7 Hv's. The G8 1820mah cell in terms of IR, Energy-Density, and Longevity is much superior to anything else similarly available in the market today.

As long as your not overheating your battery it won't puff. The G8 (any Hyperion lipo) will last a very long time unless you start to store it incorrectly, by keeping it fully-charged for a prolong time (hours) will quickly compound and cause irreversible damage. Usually, incorrect storage is the #1 killer of batteries.

The Silicon-Graphene formula helps with the electrode conductivity. It doesn't have to deal with any structural properties that would make it more lightweight. Since the Silcon-Graphene preserves the Anode more during use when compared to other more conventional formulas, thus the battery can then operate well at higher-voltages, thus making more energy-density. Other companies boast their HV packs but they don't last long.

We have a coupon code that might be expiring soon, for a 10% discount insert "Hyperion10" during checkout. Now's the time to seize your G8 .
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:22 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:44 AM
Space Coast USA
In reference to "The G8 (any Hyperion lipo) will last a very long time unless you start to store it incorrectly, by keeping it fully-charged for a prolong time (hours) will quickly compound and cause irreversible damage."

Your FAQ #10 states:
"10 - Never leave your LiPo batteries sitting around on a full charge for more than one day. If by 24 hours later you realize you are not going to use your battery today, you need to discharge your battery down to 3.7v-3.8v per cell for safe storage until you are ready to use the battery again."

As "hours" generally means something more than 2 and less than 6, would the 24hr max apply to the G8 series or is it shorter time period (hours) ?
Sep 18, 2019, 04:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
In reference to "The G8 (any Hyperion lipo) will last a very long time unless you start to store it incorrectly, by keeping it fully-charged for a prolong time (hours) will quickly compound and cause irreversible damage."

Your FAQ #10 states:
"10 - Never leave your LiPo batteries sitting around on a full charge for more than one day. If by 24 hours later you realize you are not going to use your battery today, you need to discharge your battery down to 3.7v-3.8v per cell for safe storage until you are ready to use the battery again."

As "hours" generally means something more than 2 and less than 6, would the 24hr max apply to the G8 series or is it shorter time period (hours) ?
That's not my grammatical definition. We use "hours" because it's less than a day, or less than a month. The expression of time is obviously used loosely because there's too many variables that dictate the time-probability of cells going bad when above normal storage-voltage i.e., Temperature, Voltage, Cell Type, C-rate, IR's, Cycles, Compounded Total Time @ Fully-Charged, etc

Since I know how you operate in the forums (and we've already discussed similar topics); It's highly likely you're trying to back me into a corner and trip me up. You want to see if I'll confess that there's some type of increased Storage "urgency" with G8, when compared to other Standard LiPo's. Which would then hypothetically mean a potential flaw as the packs would oxidize quicker than normal. So, I'll cut it short here;

Even though HV batteries are inherently more volatile when fully-charged, (only) our proprietary Silicon-Graphene does a marvelous job preserving the Anode at high-voltages when compared to standard lipo's, or other HV non-Si-Grapahene packs (Si-Graphene is better than Graphene-only). It's been years seen we've seen a HV battery as stable as ours. With the G8 series we've seen equal or better cycle-life test results when comparing G8 to our flagship G5 Standard-Voltage series.
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Sep 18, 2019 at 04:21 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:24 AM
But in case the question was genuine, yes 24hrs is way too long to let any LI battery sit above 4V.

Best for longevity is to keep at storage SoC until just before using them

And no, the lost cycles effect can't be quantified, too many variables.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:50 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks

Since I know how you operate in the forums (and we've already discussed similar topics); It's highly likely you're trying to back me into a corner and trip me up. You want to see if I'll confess that there's some type of increased Storage "urgency" with G8, when compared to other Standard LiPo's. Which would then hypothetically mean a potential flaw as the packs would oxidize quicker than normal. So, I'll cut it short here;
No, my question was pretty straight forward with no ulterior motives. As I said, my definition of the term "hours" in relation to a time frame is about 2-6 hrs which was in conflict with your FAQ statement of to never leave them fully charged for more than 24 hrs.
All you had to say was "hours" means less than 24 hrs as the recommended maximum storage time at full voltage and the conflict would have been resolved. I would have added "but the shorter the time at full voltage the better".

Just trying to clarify your recommendations. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had asked "Has your recommendation in the FAQ from 24hrs at full charge been reduced in the G8 series." From your response, I take it your answer is no. Would that be correct?
Last edited by hoppy; Sep 18, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:15 AM
aka JetMan Joe
In the same way I was serious when I asked you on my thread if the recommended 6 or 7 1C breakin cycles were necessary in order to realize the potential extended life of the G8ís. Is it?

Joe
Sep 18, 2019, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
The shorter the time at full-charge voltage the better it is, no matter the pack. We spent time to develop G8 chemistry so that it better preserves the Anode, compared to other more conventional LiPo's, or HV's. With other brand Hv's you'll see a exponential premature failure-rate when stored at 100% SOC when compared to ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
In the same way I was serious when I asked you on my thread if the recommended 6 or 7 1C breakin cycles were necessary in order to realize the potential extended life of the G8’s. Is it?

Joe
And this topic too is also up to debate. Some people say cycling your batteries a few times when new matters, some say it doesn't. In my opinion I don't think it hurts, it also gives you a mah capacity analysis before you actually use the pack. In the unlikely chance you have a defect, it's easier to provide warranty on a newer pack. It's also likely that if you take the initiative to analyze and care for your batteries, you'll also take proper care and maintenance later on. Tomato, tomato.

As long as you properly store your batteries when not in use, and dont over-discharge/over-heat them, all of our Hyperion batteries will last you 500+ cycles and 5+ years on average. Our one-year warranty on G8 backs that up.
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Sep 18, 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:01 PM
All chemistries which take X # of cycles to come up to full capacity, benefit longevity by keeping current rates low for that breaking in period.

No not objectively quantifiable, too many variables.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:08 PM
Hi all-
Is 20% charge acceptable for storage? I'm asking because the new pack I received today is at 20%.
Thanks
Mum
Sep 21, 2019, 08:31 PM
aka JetMan Joe
~20% has become a fairly common shipping level, I assume because it reduces volatility. But you should store at 40%.

Joe
Sep 21, 2019, 08:31 PM
Yes, precision is completely unnecessary for storage. 90% is better than Full, 70% is better than 90%,

In general, the lower the better, as long as you're **100% certain** that self-discharge won't get anywhere near dead flat, so say 10-15% if just for a month or less, better to be conservative.

If storing a year, or in hot temps, then 40-50% is better. Ideal is check on them monthly or so.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:37 PM
I want to try graphene in my helis for hard 3d. Cant find the g8 in europe in a 6s 5200mah or 6000mah pack?

Probably want to order an even number of packs depend on postage etc.
Last edited by raptorheli2; Sep 30, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Sep 30, 2019, 03:39 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Iíve found there is a significant difference between my ďGrapheneĒ packs and my Hyperion 6000ís. I can discharge my graphenes down to 5% and not over heat them. I fear doing so with my 6000ís would cause damage. They get plenty warm limiting discharge to 25%

Hyperion 6000ís strength is in its ability to maintain voltage under load similar to a Graphene but at ~15% lighter weight.

Joe

Quick Reply