Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 11, 2019, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Durable Aircraft Models P-51 Re-Build

Thought I would start a re-build thread as I am hoping to bring new life to a very old model. This was the second DAM P-51 I built – the first was the GunFighter which was our prototype for the, new at the time, line of PSS gliders. This second model was built in 1998 and wore the Miss America scheme. It was the first DAM P-51 to fly with the epp tail parts which was an option customers could order in place of the coroplast tail – in retrospect, this cheap sign material was not suitable for a model this size and this scale – but I did not know any better back then.

So after many years of action with a few mid airs and several hard landings the reno racer was looking very shabby in the iron-on film department. This material, and others like it, never appealed to me, but it was the standard for the time with its bubbles, creases and tears that hung out in the slip stream. Seemed a constant maintenance process/chore. Anyway, she needed a new uniform and so the Bald Eagle emerged. It flew like a brand new model, with good and tight covering (for a time anyway). This version again flew many years over Laguna Niguel and El Cajon and even made it to the slopes of Colorado and then on to Utah. Spent time guarding the hanger/shop in view of the north slope of Point of the Mountain. But life was hard on the Eagle. Numerous crashes with 2 pounds of ballast left her with a broken empennage and small fuse cracks over the wing. A real patchwork of repairs.

The other reason I wanted to share this rebuild is that it is a real testament to the wonder that is EPP for RC models. Even with the damage and slight repair weight gain, there is no reason that this airframe can’t live another 21 years. The integrity, resilience and repairability of EPP is time tested - we just need to address the outside appearance. I have big plans for the old bird one that will seriously upgrade her scale fidelity and address the failings of traditional iron-on films.
Stay tuned…
Wade
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2019, 08:00 PM
It's not going to build itself
Can't wait to see what you have planned!
Mar 11, 2019, 10:01 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
This is exciting! I would be even more excited if you started to cut new EPP models again They are RC history...following...
Mar 12, 2019, 01:01 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Cool. I am a fan for sure!
Just last year I built a new one from a unbuilt kit I found for sale. I did a light refurbish on one and I did a full refurbish on another one.

I enjoy flying all 3.

Will be watching this thread all the way through.

Dave
Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thread OP

Digging In

So the iron-on covering was a pain to remove. After so many years and numerous ironing and heat gun applications this stuff was stuck on good. True to form the underlying foam was ugly but still resilient. Many scars were visible so this provided the opportunity to repair and reinforce where needed.

One aspect of modeling in the 21st century is the advent of 3D printing. This is a game changer for scale enthusiasts. While I have not bought a 3D printer yet, the technology is highly available so I intend to deck out the Mustang with several scale details that were not possible before - at least not without much skill and effort. Check out the gun site - there is a test of your mustang knowledge and a precursor of what is to come in this rebuild.
Mar 12, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
OK, so I neglected to save my photo description so my trivia clue was not saved with the gun site image. Lesson learned. Here's the clue on the gun site - what is it about this gun site that is telling about the Mustang re-build, perhaps an inconsistency? Hint: focus on what the site is not, not so much on what it is.
Last edited by ScaleMe; Mar 12, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Mar 12, 2019, 02:27 PM
Non gyro gunsite?
Mar 12, 2019, 05:08 PM
Good point Tom...what I am wondering after reading your post is how that would be "telling about the rebuild"...besides maybe many more scale details being considered for the 3D printer?

Fabio

Who is probably already missing the entire picture before even reaching the 10th post...
Mar 12, 2019, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
Good observation Tom and Fabio is right for wondering what that all means...;-)
Mar 12, 2019, 05:21 PM
I hadn’t thought that far yet. The gunsight looks less bulky than the gyro type K-14? Maybe a newer variant? A Reno racer wouldn’t need a gunsite. Hmmmn? The suspense is terrible, I hope it lasts.
Last edited by TRISME; Mar 12, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Mar 12, 2019, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
You have the right variant idea Tom. What is about the gun sight (non-gyro) that would affect my rebuild? Oh, and yes, it will not be a reno mustang.
Mar 12, 2019, 10:54 PM
"I have big plans for the old bird one that will seriously upgrade her scale fidelity and address the failings of traditional iron-on films."

I have to believe that your idea is more related to process/materials rather than form design for the model. For example, it would be nice to have a pliable skin of some sort with printed scale details on it...

I, obviously, may be reaching but that's my line of thought...
Mar 12, 2019, 11:27 PM
Cockpit and other details, maybe skins like the Scale pursuit T-33?
Mar 13, 2019, 01:35 AM
Yeah...I am still not sure how the non-gyro gunsight would equate to a "skin". I tried to change the subject in my last post by focusing on your words If the answer to the trivia clue involves the actual functionality of the 2 types of gyros them I am at a total loss and will need the help of a true P-51 expert...Wade what's the answer?

Fabio

Who will be dreaming about non-gyro gunsights tonight...
Mar 13, 2019, 08:59 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
This thread motivated me to fly my red and silver Mustang at Lilly’s yesterday..
Pictures and videos on my blog in the flying logbook thread.

Dave

Quick Reply