Mar 11, 2019, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Choosing my first 'on road' RC.

I have a couple of Arrma RCís but after watching some videos with a HPI WR8 and Hobao Hyper VTe have been thinking about adding an on road car to my small collection.

There are a lot of choices, but the only ones Iíve really looked at are the two mentioned above, although the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Ve looks very interesting as well (but I think it may be kinda slow on the stock setup ?).

Just looking for any advice/suggestions.

I have 2 main requirements: RTR and electric. Itíll be used for driving in parking lots but the capability to do a speed run to a decent top speed would be great. Budget is around £500íish for the car. Sadly I'm in the UK so availability is a bit less than the US.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2019, 06:09 PM
The Mad Titan
Honestly, unless where you plan to drive is PERFECTLY flat (think billiard table smooth), getting a purpose built on-road car may prove frustrating. Imperfections in the road, which may seem small when driving a real car, but may as well be speed bumps or parking barriers when taken in scale, will drive you batty.

Since you're already familiar with Arrma, lots of people pick up Senton 6S or Typhon 6S and convert them to on-road by lowering their suspension, changing tires and putting on a different body. If you're on Facebook, join a group called the Arrma RC Arrmy and you'll be able to see some REALLY cool stuff.
Mar 11, 2019, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
I have a Talion, 6s Typhon and Notorious.
The surfaces where I drive aren't billiard table smooth, but I don't have any issues with my Typhon that has GRP road wheels/tyres and is quite low.

I'm looking for something a bit different to what I have just now.
Mar 11, 2019, 11:29 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Which ARRMA's do you already own?

Probably the easiest thing to do is a GT or Rally conversion on one of them assuming they have a 325mm wheelbase, here are bodies that fit any 1/8 buggy or 1/10 SCT:
http://www.deltaplastik.it/?p=prodot...at2=11&cat3=15

Here's what the TC105 looks like on my TEKNO SCT410.1

Mar 13, 2019, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
I have a 6s Typhon, Talion and Notorious. I run them all with a 6s battery.

Thanks for the link to Delta Plastik, I had a look there when I was thinking about converting the Typhon. I've since decided that I want to buy another RC. Something either 1:8 or 1:10 scale with similar speed to what I have already but different handling - a setup that will allow more drift style handling like I see in the WR8, Hobao VT videos.
Mar 13, 2019, 10:07 PM
Did I make the A Main?
For the price I don't think you can beat the Hobao VT-E, they are very good quality, definitely a step up from ARRMA, you'll get more aluminum upgrades and tuning options than what you're used to seeing.

Just realize that RTR = Ready To Reassemble, plan to refill the diffs/shocks with fresh fluid for the type of condition you plan to run... "Drifting" is a completely opposite setup from high traction parking lot bashing.
Mar 27, 2019, 12:08 AM
What about an ExceedRC/HSP drift car? They are RTR for under $200 with a brushed motor. They come with hard plastic drift tires, but a set of $30 "grip tires" makes them more fun.

You can buy a brushless one for a bit more if you'd prefer speed. And it would come in WAY under your budget.
Mar 27, 2019, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
I'm definitely be looking at brushless for the extra speed. Something GT or Rally car style.
May 11, 2019, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Hobao Hyper VTE, 6s/150A version it is, finally found one in stock.

Quick Reply