Mar 11, 2019, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anybody make there own 3D foam plane?

Anybody make there own 3D foam plane? You have any plans? And do you use foam board?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2019, 02:10 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Yes, no, yes!
Mar 11, 2019, 02:13 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
This is Yak 55 from a three view with the wings widened and tail feathers a bit larger, and big
ailerons. I think it's 35". This was the maiden and the sky was bad, but you can see it flies good.

yak 55 (3 min 38 sec)
Mar 11, 2019, 02:19 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
12 planes in 9 day! For other people.

One is the stock lines, the other is the enlarged version, the one in the video

Mar 11, 2019, 02:25 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
This is all you need, just add an inch and a half to the rear of the wing and an inch to the elevator and rudder, Add a spar to the wing and tail, bit of hot blue, BTW, enlarge to the size you want.

Mar 11, 2019, 03:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky732
Anybody make there own 3D foam plane? You have any plans? And do you use foam board?
In this forum , LeadFeather's Yak55 is a popular foam 3D plane .The plans are in this thread , I recommend making it 32" or bigger :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eos-free-plans

Here is a video of mine , made out of dollar store foam board ( I'm not a very good 3D pilot ) :

RC Yak 55 , Dollar Tree foam (2 min 51 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Mar 11, 2019 at 07:42 PM.
Mar 12, 2019, 12:18 PM
I'm making one of these:

My-Got-Amit-Bipe

in what passes for DTFB in these parts (it is a bit heavier). No spars needed (I hope) with DTFB and two wings joined up with struts.

Not finished yet but it is looking good so far, structure is all done and 10oz total weight. 200W electrics, 9g servos all round, should be about 20 - 22oz complete.
Mar 12, 2019, 02:08 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Ok this is my 3DBatix Edge. Made from 9 mm EPP with CF rods for stiffening. Iíve been told EPP is more resistant to unplanned landings

To be honest I have not flown it yet. Working on flying skills.
Mar 12, 2019, 03:43 PM
Building a Mini Infineon out of DTF now.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...uide-and-Video
Mar 14, 2019, 11:35 AM
I have scratch built several 3D profiles from 24" to 48" WS. Its definitely a good learning experience but honestly when you can buy a pre-cut pre-painted 32" EPP kit for $25 with all the carbon bits and all your control surfaces attached and beveled, it just isnt worth the trouble to me anymore. If you are cutting with an exacto blade, a heated one certainly helps with EPP. A cold knife and you need a new blade every 5 mins or it starts to tear the EPP. Getting nicely beveled control surfaces were always a pain to me as well. To each his own tho
Mar 14, 2019, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky732
Yes, I have building them since 2008. To numerous to even count but all have been tremendous amounts of fun. I don't have plans but just use simple poster board templates. The plane pictured and in the video below are actually an off-shoot of the wmparkflyers.com McFoamy. Greg kits them in EPP but I built this one from Depron. Nothing more fun than a 3D profile foamy.

Depron McFoamy XL (4 min 42 sec)
Mar 15, 2019, 08:35 AM
If you are asking because you like building or designing, yes there are us that like to design and build our own and there is nothing like making a great flying model that was your idea.

However if your asking from a cost perspective? The trend has gone more towards 3D Guy''s buying their planes because there is not much difference in price. Time wise there also is not much difference as cutting out Foamie parts is all of a 5 min job.

The big difference is really that the ARTF's come with nice decoration. But some would of course relish doing their own art deco.

If you build your own design from 6mm Depron, or 'knock off' some design from a 6mm EPP kit...
It will actually fly a lot better. It does crack easier of course but too much is made of this aspect. A slap of hot glue and she is good to go.

Quick Reply