This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 11, 2019, 04:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

V911 HLG ( At last )

Isnt it the way !!!

Didn'y take the camera , and it glides !

Put a smaller battery in the glider ..
Programmed in some launch settings ( right rudder / down elevator ) ...

I was watching TV ( Crunchy Roll ) , and I looked outside the window , and there was no wind ... ( Again ! )

So off I went ..

By the time I got to my CG test spot , there was a switching breeze .. ( Of course )

But after a lot of tuning , the V911 HLG did not break ..
But I was able to tune in a nice launch setting , and it actually glides ...
Ok , still has problems penetrating a breeze . But it glides !

It's too small / wing is too ( ?? ) , it's all wrong ...

The wing needs dihedral , or it tip stalls like a rabid dog ! ( Bend it and bend it some more )
CG is much further back than with larger models .

Three days of mucking about , and it finally does something resembling a glider ...
Ok this is my last it's y bitsy glider ...

Not doing anything smaller than a UMX Whipit ... ( We know that works well )
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2019, 03:05 AM
I have the feeling, watching the photos, that the wings have too much incidence, i.e. elevator has a strong up attitude. This could explain why it has got such an easy stall attitude. Maybe I am wrong, in which case disregard my comment.
Mar 12, 2019, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
Hmmmm , the wing is really thick ..
And I was thinking about the angle of attack in relation to the elevator ..
If you put a ruler on the bottom of the wing , then incidence is very close to zero ..

On the foam glider the wing came from , its negative incidence ..
Because the wing is so thick for it's span ..

The wing is a little like a stunt wing on a control line model ..

But yeah ! , the wing is seriously suspect ..
I don't recommend these gliders for RC at all ..

Just something I wanted to do ...
I half baked DIY job with a half horrible balsa or DIY foam / depron wing would fly better .

This was simply something I had to explore for myself ..
Mar 13, 2019, 02:27 AM
I only wish to point out that the zero of the wing airfoil is the line between its most advanced point and its most ending point and very seldom is the line obtained with a ruler on the bottom of it. In case of thick airfoils the difference could be more than 2. In case of small airplane models even small differences could be very important (I did built and fly for many years 60 cm models with a cox 049 or td051)
Mar 13, 2019, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
Yeah , I realize that ...
But I was never going to get that , especially since the carbon boom is attached to the bottom of the wing ...

But even my 480mm Conversion flies almost exactly the same , and that only has a rudder / elevator added ..

Though the 480 carries more weight
Mar 14, 2019, 01:33 AM
Probably because it has the same problem : check incidence of wings versus incidence of elevator.
I have one (with elevator inserted from the side and not from back as yours) and the elevator has a strong up attitude : I had to correct it of 2.5 mm and now I am in the process to make it rc with a pusher motor. If I left it as it was I would get a strong stall attitude.
Mar 14, 2019, 01:46 AM
Thread OP
Im done with these for now ...

I would be keen to try a 600mm glider ...
Even Hobbyking has a 550mm that looks like it would be super nice to RC , but is it ever in stock ?

Quick Reply